FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   DiningBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz-371/)
-   -   Honey on a pizza (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz/1931972-honey-pizza.html)

Cloudship Sep 22, 2018 7:30 pm

Honey on a pizza

Mind blown.

I had a pizza today (Union Full Board). Pepperoni, Detroit style. Only they brought me a little cup of spicy honey to drizzle on it and told me to try it. All I can say is wow! You have to try it. I am going to try it when I get home on a regular pizza.

teddybear99 Sep 23, 2018 12:09 am

Originally Posted by Cloudship (Post 30234482)
Mind blown.

I had a pizza today (Union Full Board). Pepperoni, Detroit style. Only they brought me a little cup of spicy honey to drizzle on it and told me to try it. All I can say is wow! You have to try it. I am going to try it when I get home on a regular pizza.

What is Detroit style? I have had Chicago (thick pan with cheese on top of the toppings) and New York style (thin crust with toppings on top of the cheese), but never have heard of Detroit style, knowing Domino's started somewhere in Michigan.

FlyingDoctorwu Sep 23, 2018 6:55 am

There’s a place in Baltimore called Pauli’s Gees which also offers a drizzle of hot honey. I like it but my wife doesn’t so we don’t get it....

fdw

Cloudship Sep 23, 2018 8:03 am

It's close to Chicago style, it is a deep dish. But usually square, with a crispier crust. I think they might use a slightly different crust recipe too.

TGarza Sep 23, 2018 8:07 am

Originally Posted by teddybear99 (Post 30234929)
What is Detroit style? I have had Chicago (thick pan with cheese on top of the toppings) and New York style (thin crust with toppings on top of the cheese), but never have heard of Detroit style, knowing Domino's started somewhere in Michigan.

A rectangular pizza with the crispy crust almost burnt with the remaining dough a little chewy. The pan is oiled to achieve the contrast in the bread. Thicker than a NY pizza but not as thick as a Chicago pizza.

enviroian Sep 23, 2018 9:45 am

square pizza, well really rectangle. The crust gets caramelized after cooking and it's really delicious. As a native Detroiter think Buddy's pizza.

tmiw Sep 23, 2018 10:11 pm

Hmm, does the honey need to be spicy or will this work with regular honey too? Might be worth a try.

BuildingMyBento Sep 24, 2018 8:58 am

At the Tarry Lodge in Port Chester, NY (USA), I tried one with pistachios, red onions, truffle honey, and chevre. Quite nice...but it has been a few years.

swag Sep 24, 2018 9:13 am

I've had pizza served with honey in Colorado (notably the Beau Jo's chain), but I was always told it was for the crust.
https://www.beaujos.com/how-sweet-it-is/

Cloudship Sep 24, 2018 9:28 am

Thinking about it I guess it kind of makes sense. Deconstruct it - bread, cheese, pepperoni. Put them on a cheese plate and honey is a natural with them. The tomoto sauce kind of throws it off, but tomato sauce sometimes likes something sweet.

I might just have to try it.

pseudoswede Sep 24, 2018 1:18 pm

There is a pizza food truck in San Diego that serves a pizza with cheese, garlic, fresh basil, and drizzled honey. Delicious.

Here we go... honey garlic pizza... https://criscitopizza.com/

Sweet Willie Sep 27, 2018 8:21 am

Originally Posted by Cloudship (Post 30234482)
All I can say is wow! You have to try it.

I will try it as I'm always up for new combinations but am not holding out much hope that the marriage of pizza & honey will be a winner for me.

I disagree with the statement it is like Chicago pizza, Detroit style isn't anywhere close to Chicago thick crust (& to further split hairs, Chicago thick crust consists of two styles, Pan or Stuffed)

Detroit pizza is closer to Sicilian style pizza, which is a thick crust (but a VERY light/airy crust, compared with the denser crust of Chicago thick), sparse sauce/toppings. Buddy's pizza is a good Detroit Style pizza chain, a more nationwide Detroit style would be Jet's.

pseudoswede Sep 27, 2018 8:49 am

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie (Post 30252111)
I will try it as I'm always up for new combinations but am not holding out much hope that the marriage of pizza & honey will be a winner for me.

I have visions of a pizza topped with brie, bacon, basil, garlic, and drizzled with honey on a somewhat sturdy crust (but nothing like Sicilian). I'm debating what kind of base I should use--olive oil?

HawaiiTrvlr Sep 27, 2018 10:25 am

Originally Posted by swag (Post 30239532)
I've had pizza served with honey in Colorado (notably the Beau Jo's chain), but I was always told it was for the crust.
https://www.beaujos.com/how-sweet-it-is/

That was the first time I tried honey and pizza crust. It is really good.

exerda Sep 27, 2018 10:41 am

Originally Posted by tmiw (Post 30237945)
Hmm, does the honey need to be spicy or will this work with regular honey too? Might be worth a try.

It will work with savory toppings that aren't necessarily spicy. For example, I find that honey works well on a pizza topped with caramelized onions, blue cheese, and pine nuts.