Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Honey on a pizza

Honey on a pizza

Old Jul 11, 2020, 1:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I was very skeptical of honey on pizza, because I figured it just didn't go. Back in February, I was at a local brewpub with friends. We sat in their loft area, as opposed to their main seating area, so we had access to a different menu, including a pizza topped with spicy sausage and honey. We tried it and it was amazing! Now that they've opened again, I can't wait to enjoy another one.
corky, Jaimito Cartero and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by gaobest
awww don’t you like pesto or just “white” pizza (blanco in Italia) :-)

I love pizza but of course now I’m just cooking it.
[Ummmm ... pizza bianca in Italia.]
Old Jul 11, 2020, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

so have people in Detroit had Detroit style pizza forever? I really hadn’t heard of this until 2019!!
Yes...I can remember it from when I was a kid growing up there. Of course at the time it was just pizza...I didn't realize it was Detroit pizza.
And I am with you...I love pesto or white pizza or even mustard on my pastrami pizza. Rules are meant to be broken. I like potato pizza...no red sauce on that one.
I thought of you this morning....Giada was making a deep dish pizza that looked an awful lot like Lou Malnati's. Have you made that one yet? Actually I think it is easier than making a thin crust one because you just put it in the springform pan and bake it.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 3:56 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Originally Posted by TGarza
More than southern kids use ranch dressing as a dipping sauce since ranch dressing has overtaken ketchup in condiment sales. My wife's relatives in eastern Ohio use ranch dressing as a dipping sauce for french fries. Eastern Ohio has an Appalachian feel since it borders Kentucky and West Virginia.
Southern Ohio feels like KY and WV. Folks well north of I-70 would take offense to such a description.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by work2fly
Southern Ohio feels like KY and WV. Folks well north of I-70 would take offense to such a description.

The same is true with Columbus or Flavortown or whatever the city is now called or going to be called. Cincinnati is the only major city in Ohio with a KY feeling.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 9:25 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I should try this honey idea; I like spicy pizza and it could be fun to add some honey.

I’m curious about Detroit pizza. I have the 8x8” cake pans for it. Oh I’m so curious. Will try it...
Sorry, Chicago, but Detroit-style is the way to go with deep dish. We bake ours in rectangular deep dish pans (probably 12x8) that I use for just this and coca (Catalan pizza with super oily, fluffy crust); I've also used cast iron skillets successfully for Detroit-style.

You'd never think that much cheese would go into the crust, but as it melts and bakes in, it makes the sides extra-crispy. I usually follow Reinhardt's Perfect Pan Pizza approach, and it's worked very well.

To bring it back to honey, yes, a Detroit-style crust with fig jam, walnuts, caramelized onions, and a light honey drizzle... Some spicy sopressata or chorizo would go well with those...
corky and bensyd like this.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by exerda
Sorry, Chicago, but Detroit-style is the way to go with deep dish. We bake ours in rectangular deep dish pans (probably 12x8) that I use for just this and coca (Catalan pizza with super oily, fluffy crust); I've also used cast iron skillets successfully for Detroit-style.

You'd never think that much cheese would go into the crust, but as it melts and bakes in, it makes the sides extra-crispy. I usually follow Reinhardt's Perfect Pan Pizza approach, and it's worked very well.

To bring it back to honey, yes, a Detroit-style crust with fig jam, walnuts, caramelized onions, and a light honey drizzle... Some spicy sopressata or chorizo would go well with those...
In my mind...the goal is to get as many of the super greasy crusty corners as possible. I don't think that you are understanding that concept if you use a 12 X 8 pan...the smaller the pan, the more corners...your pan is way too big. Think brownie corners.
Maybe something like this?
https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-20...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old Jul 12, 2020, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by corky
Yes, because that is where Detroit is located. It is not Detroit pizza in 19 states.
That’s rather silly.

Like saying it’s not really pizza, unless it’s in Italy. Just because something originated in a city or state, doesn’t mean it’s “fake” if it’s no longer in that city.

By the way, most of Buddy’s pizza locations are not in Detroit. I’m sure they have great pizza, but I doubt I’ll ever get to MI to check it out. Jets has 163 Michigan locations, including more Detroit area locations than Buddy’s.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by exerda
) that I use for just this and coca (Catalan pizza with super oily, fluffy.
Am curious to know what kind of coca you’re making. There are way too many for “Coca Catalan” to be meaningful.

The “fluffy” description is what really got me wondering, especially as that would rule out Coca de Recapte (one of the most well known savoury cocas from Catalonia).

I’ve grown up with the styles popular in Alicante, and when my family there make them they use beer. The prevailing styles in Alicante tend to be thin, and more dense than fluffy. Some even have a filling inside (coca amb tonyina) which stretches the term “coca” even further to include pies. I won’t go into all the dessert cocas (the first thing that came to mind when I saw “Catalan Coca”)🙂
bensyd likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
[Ummmm ... pizza bianca in Italia.]
delfina and other pizza places in our area make great pizza Bianca as well. I first had it In positano in 2006 and love it... but I still prefer sauce pizzas!

Yes...I can remember it from when I was a kid growing up there. Of course at the time it was just pizza...I didn't realize it was Detroit pizza.
And I am with you...I love pesto or white pizza or even mustard on my pastrami pizza. Rules are meant to be broken. I like potato pizza...no red sauce on that one.
I thought of you this morning....Giada was making a deep dish pizza that looked an awful lot like Lou Malnati's. Have you made that one yet? Actually I think it is easier than making a thin crust one because you just put it in the springform pan and bake it.
i haven’t yet tried to make the Detroit pizza - I have a ball of dough ready to go, so I’ll try some as regular pizza and some in the small skillet pan.

In my mind...the goal is to get as many of the super greasy crusty corners as possible. I don't think that you are understanding that concept if you use a 12 X 8 pan...the smaller the pan, the more corners...your pan is way too big. Think brownie corners.
Maybe something like this?
https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-20...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
we have the Oprah brownie edge pan - it would definitely be clever to use the brownie edge pan for pizza. It would be a pain to pull and full the pan with the dough.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
That’s rather silly.
There is no substitute for Buddy's pizza. There is a Jet's Pizza here in Frisco. I won't even order it. Hell, at Marks & Spencer over Christmas I saw in the frozen pizza section "Detroit Style pizza"

The rectangular pans used at Buddy's (original location 6 mile and Conant is the only location I go to) are not washed only cleaned with a towel. They are like a well seasoned wok to keep the crust the way it should be.
corky likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

delfina and other pizza places in our area make great pizza Bianca as well. I first had it In positano in 2006 and love it... but I still prefer sauce pizzas!

i haven’t yet tried to make the Detroit pizza - I have a ball of dough ready to go, so I’ll try some as regular pizza and some in the small skillet pan.

we have the Oprah brownie edge pan - it would definitely be clever to use the brownie edge pan for pizza. It would be a pain to pull and full the pan with the dough.
Actually I was suggesting you make Chicago pizza (Lou Malnati) since you seem to like that one so much. But if you do decide to make Detroit style that brownie pan might work but I wonder if the squares are too small.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by enviroian
There is no substitute for Buddy's pizza. There is a Jet's Pizza here in Frisco. I won't even order it. Hell, at Marks & Spencer over Christmas I saw in the frozen pizza section "Detroit Style pizza"

The rectangular pans used at Buddy's (original location 6 mile and Conant is the only location I go to) are not washed only cleaned with a towel. They are like a well seasoned wok to keep the crust the way it should be.
I don't go all the way to the original location. But I had no idea that they didn't wash the pans! That's pretty cool.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by enviroian

wow - so did you eat Buddy’s when you grew up in Detroit? So fun. Being accustomed to “Detroit pizza,” how have you felt about other pizza?

growing up in sf, I haven’t ever had any specific kind of pizza so I’m just accustomed to different pizza styles.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I don't go all the way to the original location. But I had no idea that they didn't wash the pans! That's pretty cool.
That is reminding me of that famous song ♫ When the rust hits your eye, from that big pizza pie, that's Detroit-y ♫
corky and boxo like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.