Wiki Posts
Search

Honey on a pizza

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2020, 7:30 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LapLap
Am curious to know what kind of coca you’re making. There are way too many for “Coca Catalan” to be meaningful.

The “fluffy” description is what really got me wondering, especially as that would rule out Coca de Recapte (one of the most well known savoury cocas from Catalonia).

I’ve grown up with the styles popular in Alicante, and when my family there make them they use beer. The prevailing styles in Alicante tend to be thin, and more dense than fluffy. Some even have a filling inside (coca amb tonyina) which stretches the term “coca” even further to include pies. I won’t go into all the dessert cocas (the first thing that came to mind when I saw “Catalan Coca”)🙂
I should have said flaky rather than fluffy. The recipes I've used are in Barrenechea's The Cuisines of Spain and iirc Boden's The Food of Spain. I prefer the former as it calls for more fat in the dough which makes it flakier.
LapLap likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 11:01 am

Programs: UA/HH/Marriott Gold
gaobest, do you have a cast iron pan? This recipe is pretty easy and we were happy with the results.
https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/rec...n-pizza-recipe
Old Jul 21, 2020, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by Calcifer
gaobest, do you have a cast iron pan? This recipe is pretty easy and we were happy with the results.
https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/rec...n-pizza-recipe
ooh fun
we have a metal skillet pan which I assume is same as cast iron pan.
but it’s more like 8” and not 9-10”. Likewise our square 8” pans for the “Detroit style” pan pizzas are square.

we buy frozen dough (in individual packs) that seems to yield a 12” round pie or two 8” square pies. The areas mostly match as the 8” square pies are probably more like 7-1/2” squares :-)
Old Jul 21, 2020, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here’s the Detroit style recipe that I use although I don’t look at this recipe (despite it still being open on my phone’s browser) so I’m using 550 degrees for 9-ish minutes, primarily to avoid burning the bottom. I also think the dough stretches thin so I bake it on the top shelf.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...za-recipe.html
Old Jul 21, 2020, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gaobest
ooh fun
we have a metal skillet pan which I assume is same as cast iron pan.
but it’s more like 8” and not 9-10”. Likewise our square 8” pans for the “Detroit style” pan pizzas are square.

we buy frozen dough (in individual packs) that seems to yield a 12” round pie or two 8” square pies. The areas mostly match as the 8” square pies are probably more like 7-1/2” squares :-)
A regular skillet is not necessarily a cast iron pan. Is it all black and super heavy?
Here’s the Detroit style recipe that I use although I don’t look at this recipe (despite it still being open on my phone’s browser) so I’m using 550 degrees for 9-ish minutes, primarily to avoid burning the bottom. I also think the dough stretches thin so I bake it on the top shelf.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...za-recipe.html
Maybe dough isn't enough for that size pan...it shouldn't be stretched real thin. Maybe let it rest and come back and try to fit it in the pan a bit instead of stretching it. Are you spraying the pan as well as oiling it well?
Old Jul 21, 2020, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corky
A regular skillet is not necessarily a cast iron pan. Is it all black and super heavy?
Maybe dough isn't enough for that size pan...it shouldn't be stretched real thin. Maybe let it rest and come back and try to fit it in the pan a bit instead of stretching it. Are you spraying the pan as well as oiling it well?
the skillet is black and heavy.

I do let the dough rest in the pan - the instructions on that webpage mention stretching the dough to cover the pan bottom and to then plastic-wrapping it and to then let it rest for 30 min. Definitely adding olive oil to the pan per the instructions.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just saw someone on the food network mix chopped jarred pepperoncini (with some of the liquid) with honey and then drizzle that on pizza. I am going to try that...sounds so good.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have to eat my leftover pizza - I’ll try some honey on it. L Shana Tovah!
TWA884 likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 8:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I just saw someone on the food network mix chopped jarred pepperoncini (with some of the liquid) with honey and then drizzle that on pizza. I am going to try that...sounds so good.
Let me know if that is as tasty as it sounds!
corky likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kipper
Let me know if that is as tasty as it sounds!
I will be having pizza tomorrow (as I do for all award shows & tomorrow it's the Emmys) and champagne. I am trying to decide which place to order from and what to get. On one hand I really want the Pastrami pizza that I have talked about here but I am not sure the honey/pepperoncini would work with that. I can get a pie from a different place that I like and get maybe bacon and pineapple and that would be good with the honey mix. But I would rather have the pastrami. I have to figure this out by tomorrow afternoon.
And of course I will report back.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I will be having pizza tomorrow (as I do for all award shows & tomorrow it's the Emmys) and champagne. I am trying to decide which place to order from and what to get. On one hand I really want the Pastrami pizza that I have talked about here but I am not sure the honey/pepperoncini would work with that. I can get a pie from a different place that I like and get maybe bacon and pineapple and that would be good with the honey mix. But I would rather have the pastrami. I have to figure this out by tomorrow afternoon.
And of course I will report back.
why aren’t you grilling your own pizza? Having had my carryout pizza, I can see zero reason to get carryout pizza again because my panic pizza is super amazing.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

why aren’t you grilling your own pizza? Having had my carryout pizza, I can see zero reason to get carryout pizza again because my panic pizza is super amazing.
Award shows are the only time i do not make my own pizza. I don't want to have to interrupt my TV watching . Other than this, i love making my own although i have never bothered to make my own pastrami one. This one comes from a deli so they have pastrami and swiss on hand. The other place is where i buy my dough .
Old Sep 20, 2020, 1:55 am
Suspended

This thread reminds me of the Italian friends I had while being a grad student in the North Eastern US. For them, the whole extent of the cultural abyss we were facing was exemplified by people ordering a "skim iced caramel macciato with extra vanilla" and a donut with sprinkles in all kinds of artificial colors at Dunkin Donuts.

Needless to say, pineapple, jalapenos, or avo on a "pizza" is no different. And this thread on "pizza" with honey is tantamount to the decline of the West.

cblaisd likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by funkydrummer
This thread reminds me of the Italian friends I had while being a grad student in the North Eastern US. ...
lol imagine what traditional sushi people thought about USA sushi rolls. Or the French watching what we put into our USA omelets.

it was utter misery when I’d be at business meals in China and there would be zero white rice.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I did a little of the honey/pepperoncini mix on a part of my pizza that didn't have pastrami on it. It is delicious ....can't wait to put it on another pizza.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.