Search

Weight Loss Programs

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2017, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Weight Loss Programs

I'm overweight. 8 years ago I used a Weight Watchers at-work program and over 8 months lost 60 pounds. That gave me a BMI under 25. I kept the weight off for 3 years. Then I moved and ended up living in a hotel room with a bored spouse for 9 weeks. At the end of the 9 weeks, I had gained 10 pounds. This was due to dining out and throwing the Weight Watchers program in the bin. I tried to restart but the local WW office held meetings at inconvenient times and was staffed by a couple scrawny old women who offered no encouragement or help. So over the next 3.5 year, I grew another 25 pounds.

On December 1, I began a Whole30 program. For those not familiar, it involves eating no dairy, no grains, no alcohol, and no added sugar or artificial sweeteners. Also legumes are off limits. There are a few exceptions; kombucha is okay despite a small amount of alcohol, green beans and sugar snap peas are more pod than seed. It's not easy but only lasts 30 days. You read every label and discover a lot of sugar and soy in everything. But I've managed. Oh, and you're not allowed on a scale until you're finished. And if you make a mistake or cheat, you have to start over.

My big mistake was to start without reading the book. It arrived at 8:00 PM the night before I planned to start so I skimmed the first 2 chapters. On the 6th evening, I passed out due to low blood sugar. That was corrected and I'm doing better. Since I was given non-compliant foods to boost my blood sugar, I started over. Since I was starting over, I weighed myself and I had lost 6.5 pounds in 6 days. That's 6.5 pounds off of 190. At this point, I'd estimate it's closer to 10+ pounds lost and I had to shift into the smaller pants in my closet, a 2" waist size difference. I still have 24 days to go before I can reintroduce the forbidden foods, but I'm far from hungry. And the hospital found nothing else to be concerned about with blood work and urinalysis (or EKG or CT scan). I miss beer. I miss bread, but I will not be adding either back in the volumes I previously consumed them. I think I can live like this.

What's your program?
Old Dec 13, 2017, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't have a program and have struggled to lose the same 15 lbs for most of my life. I enjoy a mostly-nightly cocktail or two. I try to eat mostly lesser-processed things and limit meat. Today for lunch, for example, I ordered a chili lime chicken wrap and just ate the filling.

I did lose about 20 lbs on Jenny Craig 10 years ago, but it was only possible because I was living in White Plains, NY and didn't have any friends there, so I ate at home every day/night. Got so tired of a salad and a JC microwave meal, but it worked. I've now gained that weight back. I really like how I looked at 180 and think 175 would be a great weight for me. I"ve been hovering around 200-203 since moving to Maine and discovering the local beer scene.

I recently joined Orange Theory, a gym here that just does group cross-training classes - we row, do the treadmill, and lift. I like it because it's a hell of a work out and I just have to show up and do what I'm told. You wear a heart rate monitor, and they email you a summary afterwards. I usually burn a little shy of 1000 calories in the hour. So we'll see what that does. I'm resolved to go 3x/week.

My mom struggled with her weight her entire life until one day she just cut out sugar and other refined carbohydrates. She didn't touch them for several years and lost about 65 lbs. She now eats them again but feels like she is in control instead of the sugar. She has kept off the majority of the weight - I thought she was too skinny after losing 65 lbs so I'm glad she gained a little bit back.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 2:19 pm

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
I lost 10kg earlier his year by just giving up wine during the week.
And trying to average 10,000 steps/day, using a tracker.

It was tough!

Mostly stayed off although I regained 1kg recently with all this subzero weather in ABZ.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 3:39 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I signed up to Anyman Fitness about 7 months ago. Jason behind Anyman is a former school teacher turned online coach. The program is simple, but works: Take accountability for the macro-nutrients you eat daily (protein, carbs, fats) on a relatively high protein diet and lift weights at least three times a week. All it takes is consistency and overcoming a bit of a learning curve at the beginning and you can just watch everyone in the online Facebook community as they get into better shape.

I've had to build in a certain amount of flexibility to deal with >100 flights this year and many weekends partying too hard, but I've lost several inches from my waist, built some noticeable muscle and saw my blood pressure and other indicators take a dramatic change for the better. I have a while to go on both fitness and strength but I'm now very clear on what it will take to get there.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 9:35 pm

My last post in this thread described my Peloton experience over the past month:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni...e-bikes-2.html

along with that though, I’ve found that mentally I’m compelled to taper off snacking, an extra beer, etc. because I don’t want to lose my gains. Lunches at the office were a nasty contributor, so I’ve cut those back or just throw out whatever is left once I’ve had enough... In short, not following a gimmicky program, but consistent exercise and a balanced diet.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 10:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
I’ve had weight issues almost all of my life. When I was a kid I was really skinny and my mom thought I needed to be fattened up. After her success I’ve bounced around. Right now I am about 70 or 75 pounds less than my heaviest. That was a series of bounces too. I lost about 70 pounds with a variety of strategies. I tried vegetarianism, only doing treats with really special things, ie no junk food and various form of low carb diets. All worked soom because I think the act of watching what you eat helps in general. I think the very low carb worked best.

Then I was prescribed high doses of a drug notorious for causing weight gain. I gained 20 pounds and my doctor said he was amazed it was so little.

Then I got really sick. I was in a hospital or rehab center for about 4 months. I lost 80 pounds but was also so weak I couldn’t walk. And I gained about 80 pounds back and started back to work, walking and so forth. So I’m back on the dieting with guidance from a doctor. She said one of the meds I was on, not the one before, could lead to weight gain so she cut it in half and I got rid of it completely. She also upped my proteins and I’m not eating dinner most days. Just breakfast and lunch and fairly low carbs. And I’ve lost about 20 or 25 pounds. So it continues.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
For a time I was doing intermittent fasting (16 hours no food followed by 8 hours of food being allowed) and seemed to do okay. I'd just skip breakfast and only eat lunch and dinner, stopping all food after around 8pm or so. I remember losing ~10lbs before I stopped.

Other than that, I mostly just walk. A lot. My Apple Watch definitely helps with the motivation there.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 12:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by tmiw
For a time I was doing intermittent fasting (16 hours no food followed by 8 hours of food being allowed) and seemed to do okay. I'd just skip breakfast and only eat lunch and dinner, stopping all food after around 8pm or so. I remember losing ~10lbs before I stopped.

Other than that, I mostly just walk. A lot. My Apple Watch definitely helps with the motivation there.

i forgot got to mention that before I got sick I was walking 30-45 minutes before work 5 times a week and totaling about 10,000 steps a day.

Last edited by GadgetFreak; Dec 17, 2017 at 10:00 am
Old Dec 17, 2017, 9:58 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Having gained and lost the same 25 pounds repeatedly over the last 30 years I’ve finally reached a point where I can keep it off. Here are my random thoughts:

Programs set you up for failure. Don’t eat this, don’t eat that, don’t do this. It is a constant stream of negative thought. What’s required is to reshape your relationship with food. The objective is nutrition not emotional satisfaction. Gas in the tank.

There is an immense pressure to eat in North America with terms like "comfort food" and the other BS emotional enticements to consume calories. We are bombarded with food and restaurant ads.

Think about what you eat, don’t be obsessed about it but keep in mind that everything that goes into your mouth counts.

Weigh yourself once a week at the same time every week and keep track of your gain/loss. Success is not gaining weight. Don’t be in a hurry. The weight will come off eventually. One or two pounds a week.

Do the math. One pound is approximately 3,500 calories. To achieve a one pound loss per week you need to reduce your intake by 500 calories at day or just under 170 calories per meal. It's not an insurmountable number.

Condition yourself to eat when you are hungry, eat more slowly and think about what you are eating when you are eating it. You may be surprised to discover what you eat isn’t all that appealing. It’s how I stopped eating potato chips.

There is a difference between being full and no longer hungry. When you are no longer hungry stop eating.

Eat everything and anything you want just not as much or as often. Programs that declare something like, "Thou shall not eat pizza!" don’t work for me. Tell me that and I will crave pizza constantly until I break down and gorge on it.

Make an appointment for cravings. When a craving hits I set a time several hours or even days ahead to satisfy it. Quite often when that time arrives I no longer want what I craved but otherwise I will eat it without feeling guilty.

There are certain unhealthy foods I like but will only eat them in the very specific places where they are the best. I only eat chicken wings in one place and nowhere else, same with pizza, onion rings and other indulgences. They are never eaten at home.

Restaurant eating is a challenge. What helped me was setting aside a two-month period where I deliberately ate half of every restaurant meal. This helped me discover that I could reduce my intake without feeling short-changed. The downside is there is an apparent expectation you will clean your plate as a half-eaten meal will prompt a solicitous server to ask if there is anything wrong with the meal or whether you want a “doggie bag.” The answer to both questions is a polite, “No.”

Eat well. I have stopped eating on airplanes unless ravenously hungry because the food is crap even in “J”. It’s a relief when I’m no longer hungry.

When you lose weight and drop down a clothing size get rid of your old clothes. What you are wearing now is your new size. Should you lose more do the same again. If you gain weight and go up a size keep your thin clothes. You will be in them again and is awesome when they fit again.

It took me a long time to discover that losing weight and keeping it off isn’t a paid-for “program” it’s a process and a mindset. If you stay with it you can lose weight and keep it off.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 4:16 pm

Programs: DL FO MM,
Good day, all.

I am retired and rarely travel by air any longer, but I do continue to read Flyer Talk daily.
Anyway, the Weight Loss Programs thread.
I've been on Weight Watchers for several years. Started at about 245 lbs and set 185 as
my goal weight. I made my goal (actually hit 180) about three years ago and have maintained
it since then. When you reach your goal, you become a Lifetime Member and are no longer
charged a membership fee (if your weight stays within 5 lbs of goal, weighing in monthly).

As you probably know, WW uses a point system. You get a certain number of points per day
and some extra each week. No foods are excluded, including alcoholic beverages.
WW has recently introduced a bunch of zero point foods like fat-free yogurt and skinless
chicken breast.

Anyway, just though I would share my experiences. Wish you all a happy and healthy journey
whether it's on a plane or at a table.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 11:39 am

Programs: EuroBonus
I follow something called "sense". It is a Danish variation of the regular plate-model. It goes roughly like this:

3 meals a day, consisting of:
1-2 handfuls of veg
1 handful protein (less factory processed is better)
1 handful carb (incl fruit, this handful is optional)
1-3 tbl spoon fat ("real" fats preferred, ie real butter over more processed stuff)

spices, herbs, flavouring in smart amounts (so fx teaspoon of ketchup for flavour is fine, drenching your meal in it not smart)

Add to this 3dl (just over a cup) of dairy (<5% fat) per day

There are no forbidden foods, but some are not smart. If I know that I will be eating bread in the afternoon at work, I skip my carb at lunchtime, f.x. Flex is allowed, even encouraged.

Last school year, I lost around 50 lbs on this, from 210. This school year I have been too stressed to continue, but I have maintined my weight and am going back on after Christmas.

For me, it works because I don't have to count calories, or weigh stuff. Just do it by sight. It is about amounts and proportions. And I felt right from the start, that this is a way of eating that I can live with for the rest of my life. Which for me was a pretty cool revelation, having never ate particularly healthy before.

So, it is not a very virtuous diet, but it is overall pretty healthy, and although the rules could be stricter to be more health concious, it seems like a sensible diet, making it easier to follow long term. I use diet not about weightloss eating, but just about what I eat.

DanishFlyer
gfunkdave likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 4:23 pm

Paleo - Cut out the carbs
Old Jan 1, 2018, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I am finished with the Whole 30 and lost exactly10 pounds in 30 days. I'm sure it was more midway through the program but I let my snacking habits creep back and eating a cupful of nuts and a half a bag of potato chips, while technically not in violation, was simply adding too many calories to my daily intake. Also I found little to order in restaurants and ended up having fries on the side of anything I ordered.

I took a day off yesterday and ate pretty sensibly but had my hamburger in a bun and a taste of aged cheese, a few crackers, a 16 oz. beer and a few glasses of sparkling wine. I managed to avoid sugar though, except for the small amount in the bun and crackers.

I'm back on it today for another 30 days and we'll see if I can tweak things a little to stay in compliance without gorging myself on what is allowed but foolish anyway.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 11:08 am

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
Lost 100 pounds in 5 months doing <1200 cal a day and zero carb. Your body will find its set point eventually and the weight loss will slow.

Kept it off for 8 years so far. Once or twice a month I'll eat one big meal of crap........blow my brains out with 4,000 cal in one sitting..........just to balance my sanity........without any effects as the 3-4 pound gain is gone in 4-5 days. I only drink whiskey or vodka as they are zero carb........and it only takes 1/3 of what it used to for the effect I desire.

SUGAR IN ANY OF IT'S FORMS IS A FATAL POISON. LEARN IT'S NAMES AND READ YOUR LABELS.

I only eat 1200 calories a day now and <10% is simple carbs. Weight 180 pounds and <15% body fat. Doctors say I am in amazing health and all tests are always normal. I feel outstanding and sleep very well now.

The food industry and weight loss exercise industry are full of criminals for the most part.
gfunkdave and BamaVol like this.

Last edited by KDS777; Jun 12, 2018 at 12:02 pm
Old Jun 14, 2018, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

My second Whole30 didn't start until April and I had the same result - a 10 pound loss that resulted in my lowest weight in years. Man, did I ever miss beer though, so I tended to overcompensate afterwards. I've stuck with that weight for 2 months and just came back from knee replacement surgery. So I won't be running out for snacks or coming downstairs at midnight for a while. Also the anesthesia tends to suppress the appetite for a couple weeks. I do not recommend surgery for weight loss. This is just coincidental. Ideally I'd like to lose another 20 pounds and hit my WW goal weight again. Im not sure I will make any further diet changes but having 2 good knees for the first time in decades will certainly impact my activity level. Hopefully thats all I need.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.