Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

When did people become so picky in restaurants?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When did people become so picky in restaurants?

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2016, 5:49 am

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by mapleg
Wish it was the case but the husband was griping "they know me here..I have been coming here for 10 years etc".

10 years and he still could not figure out the basics.
Oh, I missed that detail. In that case go ahead and whine. There is no positive.
Old May 23, 2016, 6:13 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
I don't think that it is a general issue. More likely this was a very "special" family.

I do sometimes order customized dishes. I adore Spaghetti aglio e olio. Unfortunately, many Italian restaurant only have the original (Spaghetti alle vongole). I don't like clams and I don't eat them. Logically, I end up asking "Can I have the Spaghetti alle vongole but without the vongole?"

I don't mind if they say no. There are lots of alternatives to choose from. But I've never had a restaurant refuse me to prepare me my customized spaghettis.

Another place, where F&F usually wants customized dishes are Japanese restaurant. Some F&F don't like Tuna. The restaurant however offers mixed sushi platters. A simple "Can I have salmon only?" was always accepted.

I've never tried to force a customized offer and always accepted if a restaurant didn't want to take my order.
Old May 23, 2016, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
There are only 25 seats and the idea is that all diners get the same 9 courses. Notwithstanding what you said about catering to individual tastes, the specificity of these courses IMHO doesn't lend itself to that. Yet the woman felt that her whim should be catered to.
I saw a nearly identical thing this year at a one-star place.

Woman, whispering: "Can you give us something off-menu?"
Waiter: "No"

Not even a mention of a food allergy or a voiced objection to anything on the menu.
Old May 23, 2016, 11:50 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by BamaVol
I have a different rant - I wish more restaurants would list ALL the ingredients in a dish. Too many times I have felt false confidence only to get a meal with cheese or a creamy sauce on top that was never mentioned in the menu description even though the other 8 ingredients were. I realize it's up to me to make my restrictions known but should it always be necessary?
Agreed! I have a sensitivity to bell peppers. I can't count the number of times I've seen bell peppers listed in four dishes and I order the fifth that doesn't mention it -- only to find bell peppers in it! (Related: If an airline offers two meal choices, why doesn't it ensure that there's as little overlap as possible between ingredients in the two dishes?)
Old May 23, 2016, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by james318
I ran into this recently at a chain Chinese takeout place in Vegas (think drunk food...). I don't eat rice or noodles, and just asked for food without them. The woman working told me I HAD to have one or the other and I could not get anything in its place. I explained to her that I wasn't looking for anything additional, just didn't want them to waste the rice or noodles on me. It took a managers involvement. I couldn't understand why I could get just a scoop of the yella' and a scoop of the blue without rice/noodles and still pay the same price without the manager OK'ing it.
Haha I just saw the same thing last week. Someone at a Chinese fast takeout ordered a 3 items lunch. The server put noodles and started putting rice too.. but the guy said I don't need rice. So she asked if you want another portion of noodles. He said no.. just like that.

But sir you ordered 3-items, it came with rice and noodles.... at the end he got 2 portions of noodles even though he said he can't eat that much noodles...
Old May 23, 2016, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
Agreed! I have a sensitivity to bell peppers. I can't count the number of times I've seen bell peppers listed in four dishes and I order the fifth that doesn't mention it -- only to find bell peppers in it! (Related: If an airline offers two meal choices, why doesn't it ensure that there's as little overlap as possible between ingredients in the two dishes?)
Amen to that. We flew LH last week and I requested lactose free meals. I was disappointed to receive nothing special for dinner until I discovered that both regular options, pasta or beef, had no dairy. Breakfast was a different story. I got mine 15 minutes early and it was one of the weirder breakfasts I've been served. It appeared to be tofu on a bed of yellow and green squash layered over eggplant.
Old May 24, 2016, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by Need
Haha I just saw the same thing last week. Someone at a Chinese fast takeout ordered a 3 items lunch. The server put noodles and started putting rice too.. but the guy said I don't need rice. So she asked if you want another portion of noodles. He said no.. just like that.

But sir you ordered 3-items, it came with rice and noodles.... at the end he got 2 portions of noodles even though he said he can't eat that much noodles...
I had one of those at a Chinese place. "You can have another for $.50 more". "No thanks, I can't eat that much". "It's only $.50 more". "Nope, I'm okay". "$.50 more".... accccck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.