Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

When did people become so picky in restaurants?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When did people become so picky in restaurants?

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2016, 12:53 pm

^^ Totally agree with the last line above.

I do have a self-imposed dietary restriction.. I'm a vegetarian. So you know how I deal with it? I order things that don't contain meat. Simple.

I am actually allergic to scallops and some other shellfish but since I stopped eating meat it isn't much of a thing, but when I did eat meat, I never went to seafood restaurants because of the risk. I learned this the hard way as a teenager in Key West - went with friends and ate something without seafood in it but still ended up puffed up like a balloon. I don't expect a restaurant that serves hundreds of people per day to make special accommodations for me. Most kitchens aren't full of skilled chefs, they are line cooks that know how to make what is on the menu and have certain ingredients available. They are cooking quickly and for a lot of people at one. The way I see it, the menu tells you what they have and you order from that. I would never look at a chicken sandwich on a menu and ask if they could make it with a tempeh patty... so many places wouldn't even have that.
Old May 22, 2016, 1:27 pm

Programs: United MP
Why complain They probably won't be there next time you go.
Old May 22, 2016, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by MissJ
^^ Totally agree with the last line above.

I do have a self-imposed dietary restriction.. I'm a vegetarian. So you know how I deal with it? I order things that don't contain meat. Simple.

I am actually allergic to scallops and some other shellfish but since I stopped eating meat it isn't much of a thing, but when I did eat meat, I never went to seafood restaurants because of the risk. I learned this the hard way as a teenager in Key West - went with friends and ate something without seafood in it but still ended up puffed up like a balloon. I don't expect a restaurant that serves hundreds of people per day to make special accommodations for me. Most kitchens aren't full of skilled chefs, they are line cooks that know how to make what is on the menu and have certain ingredients available. They are cooking quickly and for a lot of people at one. The way I see it, the menu tells you what they have and you order from that. I would never look at a chicken sandwich on a menu and ask if they could make it with a tempeh patty... so many places wouldn't even have that.
+1

There is a restaurant in Beverly Hills called Maude, run by celeb chef Curtis Stone. The restaurant serves a fixed tasting menu, changing every month, focused on a single ingredient (usually a veg like asparagus, radish, etc).

Early on after it opened, a woman went to eat there; she posted a scathing review because Stone (who was in the kitchen) would not alter some of the courses to suit her palate.

Excuse me? Lady, why did you even go there.
Old May 22, 2016, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by DeafFlyer
Why complain They probably won't be there next time you go.
I did not realize that was one of the rules of making a complaint.

So when a FT'er mentions poor manners on a flight, why talk about it? After all, unlikely the person will be beside you on your next flight.
Old May 22, 2016, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
I don't feel that it's about people being needy. As I said, until you face dietary restrictions yourself, it's hard to appreciate the issues that go along with having them.

That being said, one has to be reasonable. In my humble opinion, what one pays for dinner is what is a factor. Should Ruth Chris deal with my issues? Yes. Should Timmies deal with my issues? Heck no.
I don't think every restaurant needs to cater to every person for every dish. I think asking for no butter on your steak is more than fine. I would not say that it's okay to swap the main ingredient of the house specialty just because it doesn't fit the diner's lifestyle or if he/she is allergic.
Old May 22, 2016, 3:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by dchristiva
I don't think every restaurant needs to cater to every person for every dish. I think asking for no butter on your steak is more than fine. I would not say that it's okay to swap the main ingredient of the house specialty just because it doesn't fit the diner's lifestyle or if he/she is allergic.
I agree.
Old May 22, 2016, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
picky is not the problem, the problem is understanding ready to order vs queue
My store often has lines out the door. I dont understand parents who only ask the kids what they want when they reach the counter. Plan ahead for everyones benefit
Old May 22, 2016, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
I don't feel that it's about people being needy. As I said, until you face dietary restrictions yourself, it's hard to appreciate the issues that go along with having them.

That being said, one has to be reasonable. In my humble opinion, what one pays for dinner is what is a factor. Should Ruth Chris deal with my issues? Yes. Should Timmies deal with my issues? Heck no.
I'm in the same boat. I cannot tolerate dairy products and feel like I live in a cheese-crazed world. I agree with you and the OP that it's unreasonable to expect substitutions or a custom meal for $6. I have a different rant - I wish more restaurants would list ALL the ingredients in a dish. Too many times I have felt false confidence only to get a meal with cheese or a creamy sauce on top that was never mentioned in the menu description even though the other 8 ingredients were. I realize it's up to me to make my restrictions known but should it always be necessary?

I just got off a 7 day cruise. My first meal on board was a "barbecue burger". All the other burgers identified cheese as an ingredient. This one did not. Guess what came on the burger? One night in the MDR, I explained that I could not eat dairy products to the server. She went to the kitchen and came back to tell me that my only choice on the menu was the salmon and it would come without the green beans. At least there was something I could eat.

I have no idea what this family's issue was. But they probably were in the wrong place to be so particular.
Old May 22, 2016, 4:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by BamaVol
I'm in the same boat. I cannot tolerate dairy products and feel like I live in a cheese-crazed world. I agree with you and the OP that it's unreasonable to expect substitutions or a custom meal for $6. I have a different rant - I wish more restaurants would list ALL the ingredients in a dish. Too many times I have felt false confidence only to get a meal with cheese or a creamy sauce on top that was never mentioned in the menu description even though the other 8 ingredients were. I realize it's up to me to make my restrictions known but should it always be necessary?

I just got off a 7 day cruise. My first meal on board was a "barbecue burger". All the other burgers identified cheese as an ingredient. This one did not. Guess what came on the burger? One night in the MDR, I explained that I could not eat dairy products to the server. She went to the kitchen and came back to tell me that my only choice on the menu was the salmon and it would come without the green beans. At least there was something I could eat.

I have no idea what this family's issue was. But they probably were in the wrong place to be so particular.
I agree.
Old May 22, 2016, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
My store often has lines out the door. I dont understand parents who only ask the kids what they want when they reach the counter. Plan ahead for everyones benefit
Similar to the dolts at the grocery store who seem not to grasp the theory they actually have to pay and then spend 5 minutes at the cash register (after everything is bagged and read to go) rooting through their purse/bag/pockets for their wallet/debit/card/cash.

As Rodney Dangerfield famously said "Let's go...while we're young".
Old May 22, 2016, 6:40 pm

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by mapleg
I did not realize that was one of the rules of making a complaint.

So when a FT'er mentions poor manners on a flight, why talk about it? After all, unlikely the person will be beside you on your next flight.
Wow! I didn't know that I made the rules! The world would be a better place if I got to make the rules. I did not say you could not complain. I have no authority to do that.

I figured it would be easier to look at the positives than the negatives in this situation. Since they didn't get what they wanted, they likely won't be back. That's a good thing for you.
Old May 22, 2016, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
+1

There is a restaurant in Beverly Hills called Maude, run by celeb chef Curtis Stone. The restaurant serves a fixed tasting menu, changing every month, focused on a single ingredient (usually a veg like asparagus, radish, etc).

Early on after it opened, a woman went to eat there; she posted a scathing review because Stone (who was in the kitchen) would not alter some of the courses to suit her palate.

Excuse me? Lady, why did you even go there.
I have noticed in America that there is an emphasis placed on being able to customise a meal, even at more high end restaurants. When you order a dish the waiter will often rattle off a hundred different combinations and ways of preparing it.
Old May 22, 2016, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DeafFlyer
Wow! I didn't know that I made the rules! The world would be a better place if I got to make the rules. I did not say you could not complain. I have no authority to do that.

I figured it would be easier to look at the positives than the negatives in this situation. Since they didn't get what they wanted, they likely won't be back. That's a good thing for you.
Wish it was the case but the husband was griping "they know me here..I have been coming here for 10 years etc".

10 years and he still could not figure out the basics.
Old May 22, 2016, 8:53 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
While I hate this if I'm behind them I will also admit that I've probably done this before as well
I am like you...being a vegetarian often I have to request tofu instead of meat ot chicken.

If is the lunch hour rush I will let it die down , or better go at 1 P M. Less crowded.
Old May 22, 2016, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by bensyd
I have noticed in America that there is an emphasis placed on being able to customise a meal, even at more high end restaurants. When you order a dish the waiter will often rattle off a hundred different combinations and ways of preparing it.
Here's the rhubarb menu from Maude:

Name:  P1090046l.jpg
Views: 1664
Size:  158.3 KB

There are only 25 seats and the idea is that all diners get the same 9 courses. Notwithstanding what you said about catering to individual tastes, the specificity of these courses IMHO doesn't lend itself to that. Yet the woman felt that her whim should be catered to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.