Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

When did people become so picky in restaurants?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2016, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Gold

Mini Rant here.

Why are so many people so darn picky in restaurants these days?

Was at a local Chinese takeout type restaurant today. Extended family of about 8 people took a ridiculous amount of time to place their order trying to customize everything. Most of them were ordering a special combination dinner for one..you know the type that says "NO SUBSTITUTIONS" in giant print on the menu, with the only choice being to order it with rice or noodles.

One of them spent 10 minutes pointing out she did not eat rice or noodles, and the combo dinner comes with one or the other.. What could be done special for her? Finally the counter said "Order something else".

Husband piped up "what if" she was allergic to rice or noodles? Again, don't order them. Why are people so dense? This is in essence a fast food type non-franchised type place.

Here's a hint. If you are allergic to beef, don't go to a steak house. If you are allergic to rice and noodles, don't try to order the bargain special that comes with them and then try and bleat your way out of it.
Old May 21, 2016, 5:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
While I hate this if I'm behind them I will also admit that I've probably done this before as well
Old May 21, 2016, 5:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by mapleg
Mini Rant here.

Was at a local Chinese takeout type restaurant today. Extended family of about 8 people took a ridiculous amount of time to place their order trying to customize everything. Most of them were ordering a special combination dinner for one..you know the type that says "NO SUBSTITUTIONS" in giant print on the menu, with the only choice being to order it with rice or noodles.

One of them spent 10 minutes pointing out she did not eat rice or noodles, and the combo dinner comes with one or the other.. What could be done special for her? Finally the counter said "Order something else".

Husband piped up "what if" she was allergic to rice or noodles? Again, don't order them. Why are people so dense? This is in essence a fast food type non-franchised type place.

Here's a hint. If you are allergic to beef, don't go to a steak house. If you are allergic to rice and noodles, don't try to order the bargain special that comes with them and then try and bleat your way out of it.
I agree with you. Please keep in mind that it is challenging having dietary restrictions. I am one of those people.

So, here's sort of the way I approach it.

I love steak, but I can't have dairy. Do I enjoy Ruth Chris? Yes, and at that price point I expect them to not put butter on my steak.

When I go to Tim Hortons, I very well prepare for the consequences despite consulting the allergen list.

So you're right, it is not reasonable for someone to be that picky at a restaurant at that price point.
Old May 21, 2016, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Mini Rant here.

What a family of morons. Why didn't they decide before. I would have definitely piped in and made a comment like "today, people" or something.

Their dietary "restrictions" or whatever they call them these days are not my concern.

Questioning rice or noodles at a Chinese restaurant? Total moron.

Thread probably better suited for c/e's thread regarding stupid people.
Old May 21, 2016, 5:59 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Mini Rant here.

In my family the substituters would have been mercilessly mocked. In the moment and for years after.
Old May 21, 2016, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
I agree with you. Please keep in mind that it is challenging having dietary restrictions. I am one of those people.

So, here's sort of the way I approach it.

I love steak, but I can't have dairy. Do I enjoy Ruth Chris? Yes, and at that price point I expect them to not put butter on my steak.

When I go to Tim Hortons, I very well prepare for the consequences despite consulting the allergen list.

So you're right, it is not reasonable for someone to be that picky at a restaurant at that price point.
100% agree. Took me a while before I realized some top end restaurants put butter on a steak. (I hate taste of butter--not an allergy, I just don't like it)

So, yes, at Ruth Chris one can easily say "hold the butter", but when you go to a cheap restaurant with the words "SORRY, NO SUBSTITUTIONS" printed on the menu? Sheesh.

Maybe they should go to Pizza Pizza and ask for a pizza with no crust.
Old May 21, 2016, 6:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
100% agree. Took me a while before I realized some top end restaurants put butter on a steak. (I hate taste of butter--not an allergy, I just don't like it)

So, yes, at Ruth Chris one can easily say "hold the butter", but when you go to a cheap restaurant with the words "SORRY, NO SUBSTITUTIONS" printed on the menu? Sheesh.

I needed a good laugh. That was freaking hilarious re: Pizza Pizza.
Old May 21, 2016, 6:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

Saying no butter is not the same as requesting a substitution unless you ask for something else in place of the butter.
Old May 21, 2016, 6:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Saying no butter is not the same as requesting a substitution unless you ask for something else in place of the butter.
If you make your wait staff angry enough with special requests then I can guarantee they will give you something in place of butter.
Old May 21, 2016, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not to get /PR, but Anglo-American culture has encouraged an "all about you" culture for years for individuals but it is totally against the longer standing "No Substitutions" rules elders have lived with.

Then again, if not on the road for work, I rarely dine out. I even cook when visiting my Mom since she buys so much from Sam's and BJ's.

If I were a restauranteur, I'd be weary today.
Old May 21, 2016, 6:50 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by csufabel
not to get /pr, but anglo-american culture has encouraged an "all about you" culture for years for individuals but it is totally against the longer standing "no substitutions" rules elders have lived with.

Then again, if not on the road for work, i rarely dine out. I even cook when visiting my mom since she buys so much from sam's and bj's.

If i were a restauranteur, i'd be weary today.
no soup for you!
Old May 21, 2016, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
It happens on the high end as well, especially at places with set tasting menus (no a la carte ordering possible as it causes the kitchen to become unfocused).

Still, some people want to deviate. Restaurants will inform the guest that they skip the course, of course.
Old May 21, 2016, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Tim's donuts are terrible-- more or less the same as Dunkin. If you're going to suffer consequences from eating a donut, at least make it a good one.
Old May 21, 2016, 7:46 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
My wife ask for pizza no crust, everything was fine till she received the bill...

Truth is it is now on the menu at our local pizza place,,

Chinese are the worst picking out vegetables to purchase..

They are paying for it and so are you...

I like Ruth Chris, and they will hold the butter, just like Burger King...

Even White Castle will do no pickles...
Old May 21, 2016, 8:06 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
I ran into this recently at a chain Chinese takeout place in Vegas (think drunk food...). I don't eat rice or noodles, and just asked for food without them. The woman working told me I HAD to have one or the other and I could not get anything in its place. I explained to her that I wasn't looking for anything additional, just didn't want them to waste the rice or noodles on me. It took a managers involvement. I couldn't understand why I could get just a scoop of the yella' and a scoop of the blue without rice/noodles and still pay the same price without the manager OK'ing it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.