Search

Consolidated "Starbucks - games, promotions, devaluations, et al" thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2018, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by diburning
I've noticed that successive star dashes tend to be less and less rewarding, but if I miss one or two, it resets.
Same. It's also interesting how they target based off your SBUX pattern. My Mom is a frequent SBUX visitor and I am not. Comparing our star dash challenges is hilarious because of how generous mine are in comparison. Last week or the week before, mine was "make 2 purchases, get 100 bonus stars". Now this week is visit 3 days in a row, get 75 stars, which I'm clearly going to pass on. The one she shared with me a couple weeks ago was "collect 75 stars when you order 9 times after 2pm"
Old Nov 13, 2018, 5:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I can't believe I haven't found this thread before. I miss the days of star laundering. It was essentially manufactured spend for Starbucks. Back before the current program (where in the previous program, you just needed 12 stars for a free drink. Star Dashes rewarded stars as codes to enter, and those stars counted towards future star dashes. So, I would start out with a star dash, make actual purchases, and receive a code to redeem the stars from that star dash (usually something like 20 stars or more if the star dash rewarded a free drink as well). Instead of redeeming it right away, I would hold onto it (they did have expiration dates that I took note of) and usually another star dash would occur before the previous code expired. I would join the second star dash, and then redeem the code from the first star dash to fulfill the requirements of the second star dash, and repeat this over and over again to effectively launder my star dash rewards into more and more stars, while redeeming the leftover stars for drinks.

Since they went to the new program, I can't do that anymore, but now my office has moved to a location with a (licensed) Starbucks 50 feet away from my office, so I've been earning rewards and haven't been able to redeem them yet since the licensed locations are earn only. I still fulfill the terms of most star dashes though, as they usually involve counting visits, and each transaction is a "visit." So, I'd order my usual, and once I finish it, I go back and ask for a refill and insist that they charge me for the refill (they usually don't) so that I could get a transaction for the star dash.

I love the transaction based ones, as I will divide orders into 2 transactions.

I've noticed that successive star dashes tend to be less and less rewarding, but if I miss one or two, it resets. Star dashes that require purchasing particular products are ones that I can never fulfill at work (since it's licensed, the POS doesn't report the items purchased to Starbucks when they run my Starbucks card, only a total)
My current star dash is based on consecutive day visits. I earn 10 stars for visiting 2 days in a row, 20 for 3, and 75 for 4.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
So I checked my SBUX app today to realize that my whole card balance had been drained to zer and not by me. Happened a few days ago one day after my most recent purchase. A quick call to Starbucks later and the rep had marked it as unauthorized activity and ordered me a new card with my prior balance to be mailed to my house ^ By the tone of her voice, this seemed like a pretty routine exercise for her.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
I’m confused by an email about stars resetting to zero for a new year. Not that it matters too much but why won’t they roll over like frequent flyer miles?
Old Nov 22, 2018, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by gaobest
I’m confused by an email about stars resetting to zero for a new year. Not that it matters too much but why won’t they roll over like frequent flyer miles?
I didn't receive one. Are you sure it wasn't talking about your status resetting if you don't earn enough stars?
Old Nov 25, 2018, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by gaobest
I received a similar email on an account I don't use. If you don't earn 300 stars and hit Gold by X date, your stars expire. If you are Gold, they roll over.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 11:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
So I checked my SBUX app today to realize that my whole card balance had been drained to zer and not by me. Happened a few days ago one day after my most recent purchase. A quick call to Starbucks later and the rep had marked it as unauthorized activity and ordered me a new card with my prior balance to be mailed to my house ^ By the tone of her voice, this seemed like a pretty routine exercise for her.
Same thing happened to me and on a similar day. They had used my card to reload $25 and then transfer the balance. Easy call and they sent a new card and added $15 as an inconvenience bonus to the balance.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 1:40 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
There's a new Starbucks for Life game/promotion going on. As usual, if you scroll all the way down after logging into the game, you can find a link for a daily AMOE entry or two.

https://www.starbucksforlife.com
diburning likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by beachmouse
There's a new Starbucks for Life game/promotion going on. As usual, if you scroll all the way down after logging into the game, you can find a link for a daily AMOE entry or two.

Thanks.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 4:46 am

I keep getting Waddles the Penguin. Ugh...
Old Dec 17, 2018, 8:13 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
None of the December promos seem to be as good as the ones last year. I think I've only gotten 10 stars out of this one so far.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 10:12 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
None of the December promos seem to be as good as the ones last year. I think I've only gotten 10 stars out of this one so far.
That's 10 more than I have won this time around! lol
Old Dec 18, 2018, 12:19 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I've gotten 40 stars (10 and 30) and a free coffee coupon so far. Still seems like a waste of time though.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 8:59 am

I've gotten 40 stars (10 and 30) and a free coffee coupon so far. Still seems like a waste of time though.
From the Starbucks for Life game or the star dash promos?
Old Dec 18, 2018, 3:55 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Starbucks for life.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.