Consolidated "Starbucks - games, promotions, devaluations, et al" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Starbucks - games, promotions, devaluations, et al" thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2019, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Originally Posted by kipper
my coffee with two shots of espresso was free at 50 stars today, saving me 75 stars. I'm fine with that option. I also like the new redemption options for merchandise.
Really? You were redeeming the 125 awards for regular coffee? That's like using 25K miles for ATL-MCO-ATL.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
I should also mention that we should be "grateful" there's still a chart!!!

If they went further like DL and UA have been doing they'd try to do variable peak-time award pricing. Though first - as soon as they got rid of the chart - they'd double just about everything except the regular coffee.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 3:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by RustyC
Really? You were redeeming the 125 awards for regular coffee? That's like using 25K miles for ATL-MCO-ATL.
LOL, no, I'd redeem it for my coffee with 2 shots of espresso that is $4.50. Now, I'm redeeming 50 stars for my coffee with 2 shots of espresso that's $4.50.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The real question is: How many shots do you have to drink to get enough points for LAX-SIN in the suites on SQ.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chrisl137
The real question is: How many shots do you have to drink to get enough points for LAX-SIN in the suites on SQ.
Enough to make an elephant pee a small pond.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Enough to make an elephant pee a small pond.
probably enough caffeine to make that elephant fly!
Old Apr 16, 2019, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by chrisl137
probably enough caffeine to make that elephant fly!
Or enough to cause the elephant to die of a heart attack.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
If they went further like DL and UA have been doing they'd try to do variable peak-time award pricing. Though first - as soon as they got rid of the chart - they'd double just about everything except the regular coffee.
25 star discount if you order after 2pm

I burned up all my stars prior to today. My Mom, a SBUX addict on the road to recovery did the same. Even she is getting put off by all the customer unfriendly changes to the loyalty program.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 8:08 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Once upon a time long, long ago (okay, in my lifetime) in a galaxy far far away there were retailers who sold their goods without any incentives or awards, making the poor customer pay for the item with cash and giving him/her the choice of cream or sugar (although I do remember Green Stamps at the grocery store )
Now you not only get to deal with 5000 options for the drink along with the pricing to go with it, but rewards program machinations that would stun a flying elephant
(I believe the name is Dumbo )

Glad I gave up the stuff 40 years ago. Never missed it either.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 8:12 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by kipper
LOL, no, I'd redeem it for my coffee with 2 shots of espresso that is $4.50. Now, I'm redeeming 50 stars for my coffee with 2 shots of espresso that's $4.50.
i thought 50 points got you a coffee and each shot of espresso is 25 wouldn’t that be a 100 point drink?
Old Apr 16, 2019, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Uhm, what do you mean by "eliminating the elite tier"? SBUX is the only thing that I have status wit anymore. Don't take that away from me!

No seriously, no more free refills for Golds? ...?
Old Apr 17, 2019, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
I'm not at all surprised or even particularly bothered by the changes. And some of them actually are better -- like being able to buy a bag of coffee beans using stars (400). Wasn't even possible before. Certain bakery items will cost just 50 stars -- were 125 stars before.

Of course, I'm a habitual redeemer of 125-star awards for the more expensive things -- like sandwiches or food items that sell for $5 or $6 or even more. Now I'll have to pay 200 stars for those. Big deal.

Unfortunately, the "aggressive expiration" is still in place. Unless you have a Starbucks Visa credit or prepaid card, stars still expire six months after they are earned. But at least there are more ways to burn those expiring stars!
Old Apr 17, 2019, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
[delete duplicate]
Old Apr 17, 2019, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by notsosmart
Uhm, what do you mean by "eliminating the elite tier"? SBUX is the only thing that I have status wit anymore. Don't take that away from me!

No seriously, no more free refills for Golds? ...?
Looks like they're extending the free refills to everyone now as long as they register and get the app (or card, I presume) and let them send record amounts of promo e-mails. So you still get the refills. I hope they're not planning to bug people about having a reward available if they collect only 25 stars...I'd get those e-mails at 125 infrequently and they were useful, but if they send more frequently soon then they could get annoying.

Starbucks is super-duper sensitive to drops in consumer discretionary spending, so if the economy slows down or tips into recession they'll be among the first to feel it. In such a case I'd think they'd WANT the rewards program to be able to incentivize more business, and I'm skeptical this is the one for times like that. Though they could just decide to give double points or something like that.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008

i thought 50 points got you a coffee and each shot of espresso is 25 wouldn’t that be a 100 point drink?
It only charged me 50 stars yesterday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.