Consolidated "Starbucks - games, promotions, devaluations, et al" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Starbucks - games, promotions, devaluations, et al" thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2017, 2:57 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
For the Starbucks summer game, you can get one free play every day by clicking on 'Play' and then finding the AMOE link below the shaker. You have to fill out a short form, select a challenge to have completed, and they'll e-mail you your virtual 'game piece'
Old Mar 27, 2018, 3:02 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Another change to Starbucks rewards. The annual birthday reward will only be valid on your birthday instead of for the month of. Effective today.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 8:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by DavidDTW
Another change to Starbucks rewards. The annual birthday reward will only be valid on your birthday instead of for the month of. Effective today.
Mine always seemed to expire the day after my birthday.
Moving Chicane likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 11:36 am
Suspended

I never went often enough to get much anyways... but you get free refills at any level which was nice. I'd buy the smallest coffee and use their (fast) wifi when traveling for work.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
This is a big annoyance. Today is my birthday so I had to swing by today to redeem it, even though I didn't really want to. I'd prefer to have the flexibility of more than one day. All of these Sbux program devaluations have led me to really stop shopping there. I can't remember the last time I spent cash money there. I just need to burn down my SBUX card balance and more or less call it a day.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
This is a big annoyance. Today is my birthday so I had to swing by today to redeem it, even though I didn't really want to. I'd prefer to have the flexibility of more than one day. All of these Sbux program devaluations have led me to really stop shopping there. I can't remember the last time I spent cash money there. I just need to burn down my SBUX card balance and more or less call it a day.
I didn't redeem mine. I just wasn't in the mood for it.

The birthday reward doesn't really encourage me to spend money there.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I've become more and more annoyed with Starbucks lately, especially after the deal they made with Nestlé, a company I'm not too fond of. I spend less there nowadays in favour of local independent shops, some of which actually have better-tasting coffee than the Bux.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Since they made the changes I'm running at maybe 2 free drinks a year. I guess I'm not a very reward-able customer in having a good number of visits but typically spending $2.50-3.00 per visit, basically as "rent" for staying there (venti size coffee for 9 months or shaken iced tea this time of year, no take-outs).

It's the same deal as with the legacy airlines and what they've done with RDMs, i.e. they've gutted it past the point where the program is an incentive that'll lead to any added business, or for loyalty. If someone like Caribou gets their act together and expands back into this area I'd try them, with or without a rewards program. If I determined the product or experience were better, I'd switch over.

In the meantime I'll take the 2 free drinks a year from Starbucks but it's not enough to change any behaviors.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by RustyC
Since they made the changes I'm running at maybe 2 free drinks a year. I guess I'm not a very reward-able customer in having a good number of visits but typically spending $2.50-3.00 per visit, basically as "rent" for staying there (venti size coffee for 9 months or shaken iced tea this time of year, no take-outs).

It's the same deal as with the legacy airlines and what they've done with RDMs, i.e. they've gutted it past the point where the program is an incentive that'll lead to any added business, or for loyalty. If someone like Caribou gets their act together and expands back into this area I'd try them, with or without a rewards program. If I determined the product or experience were better, I'd switch over.

In the meantime I'll take the 2 free drinks a year from Starbucks but it's not enough to change any behaviors.
I still seem to get a fair number of free drinks out of the new program by taking advantage of the various bonus offers. Outside of those, I don't really go to Starbucks often; in fact, I tend to hold onto those stars until they're almost about to expire before using them.

That said, if I visited Starbucks more I suspect those offers would not be as forthcoming.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by tmiw
I still seem to get a fair number of free drinks out of the new program by taking advantage of the various bonus offers. Outside of those, I don't really go to Starbucks often; in fact, I tend to hold onto those stars until they're almost about to expire before using them.

That said, if I visited Starbucks more I suspect those offers would not be as forthcoming.
That's similar to my experience. I seem to have a bonus offer each week. Most times, it goes unused, but occasionally, I do use it.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I lost my Starbucks password and don’t see an easy way of getting it back since my email address in their system is no longer valid (thanks, yahoo). So I pay cash the 3 or 4 times a year I visit them. I don’t miss the free drinks I wasn’t earning since the program changed. Their program changes drove me elsewhere and I haven’t really looked back.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by kipper
That's similar to my experience. I seem to have a bonus offer each week. Most times, it goes unused, but occasionally, I do use it.
A year or so ago, I stopped getting the weekly bonus offers for a few months. Then they started showing up again. I never changed my pattern of going, so have no idea why. More often than not, I don't meet the requirements.

I will say that I like the happy hour offers. The half off frappacinos are a good deal!
Old Jun 25, 2018, 8:22 pm

A year or so ago, I stopped getting the weekly bonus offers for a few months. Then they started showing up again. I never changed my pattern of going, so have no idea why. More often than not, I don't meet the requirements.

I will say that I like the happy hour offers. The half off frappacinos are a good deal!
I'm not sure how they figure out some of mine.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 10:05 pm

I figure that most of the time the offers are for items they want me to, or think I would, buy. It all gets ignored anyway....mostly.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
For mine, if they're a menu challenge, it's usually 1 or 2 things I have bought often, and then the balance are things SBUX is pushing. Last week I had a pretty generous star dash, get 100 stars for making 2 purchases in the week, so I took advantage. The generosity of the star dashes seem to have an inverse correlation to how often I spend $$ there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.