Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Why do they always start with Bud Light?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why do they always start with Bud Light?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2016, 10:48 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by BamaVol
Why do they say Sam Adams and Goose Island as if there was only one variety. I had to probe deeper to determine that it was Sam Adams Seasonal and Goose Island IPA.
Definitely frustrating. When a server says "Sam Adams" without elaborating I assume it's Sam Adams Boston Lager (the classic, most common variety). Generally I won't ask, "Which Sam Adams?" because most servers don't know/aren't even aware there's more than one. It's a similar situation with Negra Modelo. Frankly I often avoid ordering these beers because I loathe having to argue with servers about them.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
Definitely frustrating. When a server says "Sam Adams" without elaborating I assume it's Sam Adams Boston Lager (the classic, most common variety). Generally I won't ask, "Which Sam Adams?" because most servers don't know/aren't even aware there's more than one. It's a similar situation with Negra Modelo. Frankly I often avoid ordering these beers because I loathe having to argue with servers about them.
I've been burned too many times to assume that. And when they start with Bud Light, I know it's going to be that way.

I try not to embarrass Mrs. BamaVol when we're out together. But the first question I want to ask the server who starts the list with Bud Light is "Do you drink beer yourself and do you consider yourself knowledgeable on the subject ?" and the second is "Have you ever been in a US bar that didn't serve Bud Light?".

The third is "Can I get another server, please?".

Instead I politely ask "Which Sam Adams?" and remind myself that I'm at Applebee's.

Last night we ate at a Mexican place. I know from experience that if I don't specify Dos Equis Amber, I will be probed further as to which Dos Equis I want.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Generally I won't ask, "Which Sam Adams?" because most servers don't know/aren't even aware there's more than one. It's a similar situation with Negra Modelo. Frankly I often avoid ordering these beers because I loathe having to argue with servers about them.
Are you saying that they're just saying "Modelo" and leaving you to assume whether it's Especial or Negra (or potentially one of several much less common ones), or somehow implying that there's more than one Negra Modelo?
Old Aug 10, 2016, 2:14 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by nkedel
Are you saying that they're just saying "Modelo" and leaving you to assume whether it's Especial or Negra (or potentially one of several much less common ones), or somehow implying that there's more than one Negra Modelo?
A bit of both, actually. Sometimes a server says "Modelo" without knowing which one. There are also times when a server specifically offers Negra Modelo when the beer is actually Modelo Especial. I presume this happens because Negra Modelo is most common Modelo brand in the US and some servers assume anytime they see the Modelo label it's got to be cerveza negra.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Instead I politely ask "Which Sam Adams?" and remind myself that I'm at Applebee's.
I mean, if you're at Applebee's how can you expect anything else?

Living in Maine has made me appreciate beer much more than I used to. If you ever see anything made by Rising Tide or Maine Beer Co, grab it and don't look back.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I mean, if you're at Applebee's how can you expect anything else?

Living in Maine has made me appreciate beer much more than I used to. If you ever see anything made by Rising Tide or Maine Beer Co, grab it and don't look back.
Look, I know Applebee's isn't a craft bar by any stretch of the imagination and the food is generally bland and unexciting except for an appetizer or two. But these servers won't work anywhere nicer unless they learn a thing or two about alcohol. I assume that those who do move on to one of the better locally owned places.

We get a few more Mainestream craft beers from up north here; Shipyard and Seadog products show up. I've had beer from Allagash and DL Geary that I would like to taste again but I don't see them in the liquor stores or on tap handles in the Panhandle. Eventually, I suppose.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Our local Bennigan's reopened after being closed for a year. We were too tired to go far so opted for dinner there last night. The beer menu was a little slim for my taste but I appreciated the fact that the menu listed both Sam Adams Seasonal and Boston Ale. I chose the Boston Ale and the server was kind enough to offer a chilled glass.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chgoeditor
fact remains that Bud Lite is the top selling beer in the US, followed by Coors Lite, Bud, Miller Lite, Corona, Natural Lite, Busch Lite and Heineken.
i also recall reading that these beer companies require the beers to be sold chilled to a very low temperature (in order to mask the taste)

at some places, there may be revenue/requirement reasons for order of 'lists'
Old Aug 13, 2016, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
A bit of both, actually. Sometimes a server says "Modelo" without knowing which one. There are also times when a server specifically offers Negra Modelo when the beer is actually Modelo Especial. I presume this happens because Negra Modelo is most common Modelo brand in the US and some servers assume anytime they see the Modelo label it's got to be cerveza negra.
Ouch. Luckily, I've never hit either of those; it's pretty rare for me to run into a place serving Modelo Especial where it's not a Mexican restaurant where I'd hope the servers know the difference.

(Also, while I share the observation of seeing to Negra Modelo more frequently and at a much broader range of restaurants, Modelo Especial has much, much higher sales volume in the US so I'm not sure it's fair to call Negra Modelo the most common Modelo brand in the US...)
Old Aug 13, 2016, 5:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Our local Bennigan's reopened after being closed for a year. We were too tired to go far so opted for dinner there last night. The beer menu was a little slim for my taste but I appreciated the fact that the menu listed both Sam Adams Seasonal and Boston Ale. I chose the Boston Ale and the server was kind enough to offer a chilled glass.
We went to Ruby Tuesday last night, and had similar feelings.
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
i also recall reading that these beer companies require the beers to be sold chilled to a very low temperature (in order to mask the taste)

at some places, there may be revenue/requirement reasons for order of 'lists'
One of our local bars has a digital display in their bar showing how cold their beer is kept. It's scary.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kipper
One of our local bars has a digital display in their bar showing how cold their beer is kept. It's scary.
http://craftbeerrestaurant.com/Craft...uidelines.html

American beer industry has standardized draught beer dispensing systems to operate at a constant 38°

34° – 38° F (3° C) Craft Beer: none
no lower than 46° Most craft beers
50° – 55° Higher alcohol, richly flavored beers
http://craftbeertemple.com/videoblog/serving-beer/

from budweiser >
abwholesaler.com/docs/BeertenderGuide.pdf
36º to 38º F
chill glasses to 20º F

If stored over 42º F, draught beer will draw wild or foamy, sacrificing the taste of the beer and profitability

If the beer is colder than 36º F, the taste declines
Old Aug 14, 2016, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
I know. It's sad. They have a lot of microbrews, but lump all of them in the same beer fridge with the macro-swill stored at 37.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 2:14 pm

Several years ago, before the craft beer movement was as widespread as it is today, I asked the waitress which beers were available. She told me I should just name the one I wanted, because they had everything!

As it turned out, she was mistaken.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LittleBoyBrew
Several years ago, before the craft beer movement was as widespread as it is today, I asked the waitress which beers were available. She told me I should just name the one I wanted, because they had everything!

It would be hard to carry everything, even 20 years ago.

Today, we routinely see bars that carry hundreds of bottled beers and have >100 active tap handles. But back in the dark ages I do recall visiting bar, circa 1983-5 in Portland with over 50 different bottled beers in the cooler. Of course to accomplish that back then, many of them were brewed outside the US.

One of my local bars has a Narragansett keg currently tapped. I'm sure it's a novelty for many locals but I wouldn't have touched a 'gansett 45 years ago as a relative "youth" in New England and I'm not about to start now.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by LittleBoyBrew

I interrupted the server at Ruth's Chris on Wednesday to ask what good beer they had. I was very disappointed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.