Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Why do they always start with Bud Light?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2014, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by BamaVol
I did not know it wasn't widely distributed. I think I read that it is the #2 import brew from the UK in Canada. I have had no trouble finding it in TN and FL, but haven't looked for it out west. IIRC, they stock it at my local World Market, which I thought was HQ somewhere west of the Mississippi.

Since I am of Clan Gunn, and a member in good standing of the Clan Gunn Society of North America, I drink it regularly. I will raise one in your honor tonight.
The only place I've seen it west of the Mississippi in the US is at the Venetian--at an eye-watering $12 per bottle.

I'm in Sweden right now, and I have been consuming it as much as possible.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by drwilliams
You see yellow fizzy water on tap at chains because the big guys have the money (and will) to pay for the space.
Is this also why OP hears "Bud Light" always mentioned first.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Is this also why OP hears "Bud Light" always mentioned first.
BamaVol Jr #3 is a manager in one of those chains. I will ask him. I get the tap charge, but unless the server comes out with a "Can I start you off with a cold Bud Light draft?", I don't think it trickles down. In most cases, I'm the one who brings up the subject of draft beer.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
The only place I've seen it west of the Mississippi in the US is at the Venetian--at an eye-watering $12 per bottle.

I'm in Sweden right now, and I have been consuming it as much as possible.
Ouch. About $2.25 retail here when you buy the fourpack.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 5:58 pm

Anticipation. Things just have to get better, right?

Unfortunately, they rarely get good enough. As someone who loves Belgian and German ales, Mr DV doesn't even bother asking what's on draft, skipping directly to the list of bottled imports. Even then, he orders water more often than not.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 11:27 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by dolcevita

Anticipation. Things just have to get better, right?

Unfortunately, they rarely get good enough. As someone who loves Belgian and German ales, Mr DV doesn't even bother asking what's on draft, skipping directly to the list of bottled imports. Even then, he orders water more often than not.
Wow...that's sad. I had no idea Nashville was such a lousy beer town. You should move to Chicago. He'd be in heaven here.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Nashville is NOT a lousy beer town. DV must be avoiding the places that serve good beer. There's even a brewery in town that specializes in Belgian-style ales.

Last edited by BSBD; Jul 4, 2014 at 3:15 pm
Old Jul 4, 2014, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
The wait staff described above remind me of the staff who man wine tasting rooms in Napa and Sonoma. They know the script but absolutely nothing about wine.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by BSBD
Nashville is NOT a lousy beer town. DV must be avoiding the places that serve good beer. There's even a brewery in town that specializes in Belgian-style ales.
Other than places like the Flying Saucer, where would you recommend for Belgian (not -style) Blondes, Tripels, or Witbier (aside from Hoegaarden), German wheat beers, or perhaps anything from Samuel Smith on tap?
Old Jul 4, 2014, 5:46 pm

Other than places like the Flying Saucer, where would you recommend for Belgian (not -style) Blondes, Tripels, or Witbier (aside from Hoegaarden), German wheat beers, or perhaps anything from Samuel Smith on tap?
Pharmacy in East Nashville. Check out their beer list on their website.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 11:33 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
I don't know why your husband -- who apparently is open to drinking a pretty broad spectrum of Belgian and German beers -- would be so opposed to Belgian-style or German-style beers, particularly if his only other option is drinking water. That said, I just took a look at 12 South Taproom and they seem to have a several options that would fit his requirements. (Maybe this is a place "like the Flying Saucer," but having had a drink in Nashville, I have no idea.)
Old Jul 6, 2014, 2:47 pm

Flying Saucer is awesome - one of the biggest beer selections in the country. Lots of other places have great beer selections too, as long as you stay out of the Broadway tourist traps; although even the tourist zone has the Broadway Brewhouse Downtown, which has 72 taps, and most of those taps are crafts and imports. You can get just about any kind of beer you want in the Nashville area without looking too hard, even if your tastes are sectarian. There are also a bunch of local breweries, with more popping up all the time.

I could quickly come up with a list of reasons to dislike Nashville, but lack of access to quality domestic and imported beer would not be on that list.

Of course, Bud Light is always the first thing on the beer list
Old Jul 10, 2014, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by BSBD
Pharmacy in East Nashville. Check out their beer list on their website.
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
That said, I just took a look at 12 South Taproom and they seem to have a several options that would fit his requirements. (Maybe this is a place "like the Flying Saucer," but having had a drink in Nashville, I have no idea.)
Thanks for the recommendations. What he means is that the Flying Saucer and similar are beer destinations and not places where we'd go for food. Yes, you can find great beer in Nashville but finding it at a "normal restaurant" is pretty rare. The Taproom's menu is more extensive than he recalled though.

Originally Posted by chgoeditor
I don't know why your husband -- who apparently is open to drinking a pretty broad spectrum of Belgian and German beers -- would be so opposed to Belgian-style or German-style beers, particularly if his only other option is drinking water.
Taking one for the team as the DD on one hand and poor results experimenting with American analogues on the other. Too often the "-style" beers are things like Shocktop or cherry-flavored wheat beer. He's not a hophead either, which puts him further out of the mainstream.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by BamaVol
BamaVol Jr #3 is a manager in one of those chains. I will ask him. I get the tap charge, but unless the server comes out with a "Can I start you off with a cold Bud Light draft?", I don't think it trickles down. In most cases, I'm the one who brings up the subject of draft beer.
If you ask him, he will probably tell you that if one expects raises, promotions and good bonuses controlling costs are very important to the chains. Draft Buds are much higher margin (or lower cost) then most high-end beers and drinks. To an 'empty suit' in a corporate office your costs are lower and you look better selling the Buds.

Of course, this logic is flawed: this is no way to build and grow sales. In addition, this logic rewards selling a high margin drink rather than a lower margin but more expensive drink where the bar makes more $ on the expensive drink.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 7:59 am
Suspended

I thought I had posted here. They lead with Bud Light because it's the number one selling beer in America. They wouldn't lead with McEwans as they know 99.9% of the people would say either no or what's that followed by no.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.