Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Why do they always start with Bud Light?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why do they always start with Bud Light?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2014, 5:41 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by BSBD
Sure. Fine dining and fine beer rarely go together, especially since it seems there's more disagreement over what constitutes a "fine beer" than there is over what constitutes a fine wine. Therefore, in most cases, you must decide what is more important - the beer selection, or the food. This is universal, not just a Nashville thing.
Wow...once again, I feel sorry for you guys in Nashville. Someone there is brainwashing you. Get out! Get out while you can!

Among the awesome spots in Chicago that pack a great one-two food and beer punch (and also have terrific wine and cocktail options for those who aren't into beer): Dusek's, The Publican, Owen & Engine, Longman & Eagle, Fountainhead, SmallBar, Goose Island (Clybourn)...I pity all of you people who have to choose in life between great food and great beer.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 6:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
Wow...once again, I feel sorry for you guys in Nashville. Someone there is brainwashing you. Get out! Get out while you can!

Among the awesome spots in Chicago that pack a great one-two food and beer punch (and also have terrific wine and cocktail options for those who aren't into beer): Dusek's, The Publican, Owen & Engine, Longman & Eagle, Fountainhead, SmallBar, Goose Island (Clybourn)...I pity all of you people who have to choose in life between great food and great beer.
Ok, if I have to choose between great beer and great food, I'm going with ok food and great beer.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Funny, I could say that about Chicago. What a horrible place.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Originally Posted by BSBD
Funny, I could say that about Chicago. What a horrible place.
I don't know about horrible, but even if all that great food and drink (and I know it is) in Chicago was free, I wouldn't live there in a million years. Then again, I like Budweiser, so what do I know?
Old Jul 14, 2014, 10:27 pm

Programs: UA PLAT. DL PLAT, AOPA, MUG CLUB AT ROCK BOTTOM
Drinking Guinness at a small pub in Ireland; do not remember town (too much Guinness). Two American couples came in and demanded BUD LIGHT. Made big deal over it, did not want any of the four good beers on draught. No wonder the would hates us.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
That is a shame. We patronize the two located in the southern Denver metro area*, and both offer excellent service. Miss Swede has many food allergies, and they are one of the few restaurants that serve vegan cheese. We've never had a mishap with her pizzas, and we truly trust the staff to do it right.

* - there is one about 5 miles from our house that opened last year. However, we tend to patronize the one originally in the area, about 13 miles away. There is a server there that my kids absolutely adore, and she is a wonderful and kind person. Last Fall, she told us that she would be going away for the spring to study abroad in Europe. We gave her a large tip and wrote on a comment card how awesome she was and how we'll miss her. We went back this past weekend, and she was there. It turns out that she kept that comment card and showed it to us.
That was very kind of you. Are you saying she gave up her dream to study in Europe because of your comment card? LOL

We have been to MM in Gatlinburg & Franklin, TN, Panama City Beach, FL and Oxford, AL, Hickory and Asheville, NC. BTW, Wikipedia tells me it was founded in ATL by Ga Tech students - I even had the wrong football conference. Of the 5 I recall, I think Asheville may have been too busy to judge, Hickory too new and we were only drinking at the one in Franklin. I had not seen a vegan cheese on the menu - I may have to look again. I am lactose intolerant and prefer to avoid all dairy products. That makes ordering at MM a challenge. On the one hand I wish I had discovered my intolerance earlier than 4 years ago, on the other hand, I sure do miss the pizza.

Last edited by BamaVol; Jul 15, 2014 at 7:44 am
Old Jul 15, 2014, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by BamaVol
and Oxford, TN
Where?
Old Jul 15, 2014, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dolcevita
Where?
I'm a little bumfuzzled this morning. It now reads Oxford, AL, which would truly be a better place if it were in Tennessee.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by BamaVol
That was very kind of you. Are you saying she gave up her dream to study in Europe because of your comment card? LOL
LOL. Just for the semester.

I am lactose intolerant and prefer to avoid all dairy products. That makes ordering at MM a challenge. On the one hand I wish I had discovered my intolerance earlier than 4 years ago, on the other hand, I sure do miss the pizza.
They use Daiya Vegan Mozzarella Cheese. It's becoming more and more mainstream, as I can now find it at my local Kroger's chain.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pseudoswede

They use Daiya Vegan Mozzarella Cheese. It's becoming more and more mainstream, as I can now find it at my local Kroger's chain.
They carry it at Publix. I find it takes a pretty high temperature to "melt". Of course that's not a big problem with a pizza oven.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 8:22 pm

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Originally Posted by hawkxp
Drinking Guinness at a small pub in Ireland; do not remember town (too much Guinness). Two American couples came in and demanded BUD LIGHT. Made big deal over it, did not want any of the four good beers on draught. No wonder the would hates us.
If there were four good beers on tap, why were you drinking Guinness?
Old Jul 27, 2014, 11:21 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
dolcevita, I was thinking about your husband yesterday. I went to the Midwest Belgian Beer Fest in St. Louis yesterday. There were about 50 US breweries represented, all of which were pouring at least two (and some as many as eight) different Belgian-style beers. It really was a fantastic event -- one I'd happily consider attending again next year. (It was one of the kick-off events for St. Louis Craft Beer Week, which apparently has about 100 scheduled events.)

Anyway...you might want to use the list of attending breweries, cross reference it against Beeradvocate or Ratebeer to see if he can find any others worth trying. I'm sure a lot is stuff that is produced in such small quantities that it's typically only available on tap at the brewery, but some of it must make it into bottles and cans.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 6:30 pm

dolcevita, I was thinking about your husband yesterday. I went to the Midwest Belgian Beer Fest in St. Louis yesterday. There were about 50 US breweries represented, all of which were pouring at least two (and some as many as eight) different Belgian-style beers. It really was a fantastic event -- one I'd happily consider attending again next year. (It was one of the kick-off events for St. Louis Craft Beer Week, which apparently has about 100 scheduled events.)

Anyway...you might want to use the list of attending breweries, cross reference it against Beeradvocate or Ratebeer to see if he can find any others worth trying. I'm sure a lot is stuff that is produced in such small quantities that it's typically only available on tap at the brewery, but some of it must make it into bottles and cans.
That's so very kind of you! We'll look into it, thanks!

He recently tried the Allagash White and found it surprisingly understated, while a Canadian witbier, Blanche de Chambley, was on the other end of the spectrum, but still nice enough. It's always nice to have extra options at dinner, though La Chouffe is in no danger.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I got half an answer to my original question last night.

We had to pick a restaurant close to the hospital last night for a fast dinner, so went to Applebee's. I asked the server for a list of draft beers since I couldn't see the tap handles clearly from where I was seated. She started with Bud Light, Michelob Ultra, Miller Lite, Yuengling. She paused and said "they're all two for one". Then she mentioned Sam Adams and Goose Island. Which led me to my next vent.

Why do they say Sam Adams and Goose Island as if there was only one variety. I had to probe deeper to determine that it was Sam Adams Seasonal and Goose Island IPA.

For the record, I'm not a big fan of the Sam Adams summer ale so had the Goose Island IPA.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA, UA
Ah, I am so glad I live in SBA. Even the local burger joint in my neighbourhood carries draft beer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.