Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best burger in the world

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2012, 4:06 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
I'm not a fan of the bling burgers - for me, it's all about the meat and some decent cheese. No pickle or sauce for me - get the basic flavours right, and you don't need all the rest.

A couple stand out:

A farm stall at a weekly market at Woburn, Bedfordshire (everything was just right - the top-quality, slightly rare beef, the freshly baked roll, the sharp, crumbly cheese...)

My home-made ones! Most recently, barbecued on the roof of a narrowboat somewhere in Cheshire. Mmm. Plenty onion and chilli in there...
Old Nov 8, 2012, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by MagicWok
I tried In N' Out on my recent trip to the states. Both my wife and I were pretty underwhelmed. Pretty average burger on all accounts to be honest. I get it though that everyone has their own preference.

The best burger I've ever tasted personally, was at the Shangri-La Rasa Ria in Kota Kinabalu. The meat was great, and it was done in a chinese-type bun of which I can't remember the name of right now, that had a slight sweet glaze to it. It was fantastic.
Wow that's a huge price difference between the 2 burgers - I don't think it's fair to compare the 2.

Originally Posted by ULMFlyer
I have to second this. After years of hearing about In n Out, I finally had a chance to try it in RNO this summer during the Air Races. I was utterly disappointed. In terms of fast food burgers, I find Five Guys infinitely better.
5 guys is definitely better, however we don't think it's worth the price difference.

The best burger I have is from my home - our local supermarket has great minced beef that is so easy to shape into a burger, no chunks, low fat. Combined with the bun made by a local burger chain, Mr. nacho said it can beat any burger we have tried.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 4:44 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by stut
I'm not a fan of the bling burgers - for me, it's all about the meat and some decent cheese. No pickle or sauce for me - get the basic flavours right, and you don't need all the rest.

My home-made ones! Most recently, barbecued on the roof of a narrowboat somewhere in Cheshire. Mmm. Plenty onion and chilli in there...

+^

Having a course good quality mince and with good thoughtfull seasoning. Also ... no one says they must be round and many of the best breads for burgers are square .....
Old Nov 8, 2012, 4:50 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Yes, it can be quite difficult to find the right bread for a burger. It shouldn't take away from the texture of the meat itself, but should be solid enough to hold it (and whatever else you want to put in there).

I have a particular hatred of generic, foamy bread. Sourdough works pretty well, I think, as long as it's not the more chewy varieties. My personal favourite, however, is a Scottish morning roll - the kind with the rice flour crust on top. Naturally, they suit a square sausage best of all, but they do a good job with a burger.

Also... It's not just about the quality of the mince, but the type as well. IMHO steak mince isn't the right type to use - a slightly fattier cut (or at least some of the fattier cut mixed in) does wonders for the flavour.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 4:52 am

One of the best - Bingo's in Aruba with curly fries but forget the egg
Old Nov 8, 2012, 6:41 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by stut
Yes, it can be quite difficult to find the right bread for a burger. It shouldn't take away from the texture of the meat itself, but should be solid enough to hold it (and whatever else you want to put in there).

I have a particular hatred of generic, foamy bread. Sourdough works pretty well, I think, as long as it's not the more chewy varieties. My personal favourite, however, is a Scottish morning roll - the kind with the rice flour crust on top. Naturally, they suit a square sausage best of all, but they do a good job with a burger.

Also... It's not just about the quality of the mince, but the type as well. IMHO steak mince isn't the right type to use - a slightly fattier cut (or at least some of the fattier cut mixed in) does wonders for the flavour.
I think the perfect fat content should be around 15% otherwise it's either too dry and cardboard like - or makes the bread to wet. The mince itself mustn't be the discarded beef bits. It mustn't have gristle or sinew but simply be really good beef and fat. And of course once cooked you must leave the patty to sit to rest like a steak so that it is a juicy and not leaky.

My favourite burger bread was an accidental discovery. I was trying to perfect a bread machine challah mix (it's a jewish sort of brioche bread) but I wanted to make it in a machine so it could be available for marmalading at breakfast ... this is what it normally looks like ......

.... and it took me a year to arrive at the right mix suitable for a machine. I genuinely believe my machine version is tastier (but I recognise less attractive) than the plaited shop version. It is sweet and rich and great for sandwiches. Because it's square from a bread machine rather than plaited like the challah or round like a bun - it is the perfect base for a burger "bun". So it's cut thickly and toasted so is a sweet crisp rich and the patty is always square. So it is where it started - a "sandwich".

Actually we had exactly this today but I used a pre-made Laverstoke Buffalo burger which was flattened and squared with lashings of slowly braised red onion, with Dijon mustard and dare I say I Kraft slice on top. I know it's wrong and this sets me out as a heathen tasteless slob - but Kraft slices just seem right. This was with potato rostis and some sauvignon.

Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:41 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by k1052
the plain burger at Peter Luger in Brooklyn.
I have a good friend who relocated from Philadelphia to NYC a couple of years ago.

Planning a layover on my next trip to see the Florida based family members mostly to gently push him to organize a tour of the Gotham food classics. The Peter Luger lunch burger is among the top priorities...
Old Nov 8, 2012, 4:05 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by uk1
My favourite burger bread was an accidental discovery. I was trying to perfect a bread machine challah mix (it's a jewish sort of brioche bread)
My favorite local burger stand (close to ORD) uses a challah bun baked for them, Paradise Pup is listed here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chica...s-chicago.html
Old Nov 8, 2012, 4:36 pm
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
My favorite local burger stand (close to ORD) uses a challah bun baked for them, Paradise Pup is listed here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chica...s-chicago.html
Thanks - that's very reassuring! Most people think the idea barmy.

I also prefer very thin elongated and wide burgers rather than fat meatball type ones. Maximum surface flamed caramelisation is the aim surely!? To me thin is better than fat.

Last edited by uk1; Nov 8, 2012 at 4:42 pm
Old Nov 8, 2012, 5:22 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by uk1
Maximum surface flamed caramelisation is the aim surely!? To me thin is better than fat.
and here we'll part ways
Old Nov 9, 2012, 1:50 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
and here we'll part ways
This sadly sometimes happens .... but let there not be burger wars .....
Old Nov 9, 2012, 3:52 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
We've been observing you guys, too. We'll keep things our way.
Quite right ..... much healthier having the appointment of a president underwritten with $1.3bn worth of funds from altruistic philanthropic Americans none of whom have any dream of receiving favours in return ............

Mind you we did end up with Tony Blair, Gordon Borwn .......

Who's to know?
Old Nov 9, 2012, 7:27 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Topic check!

cblaisd
Moderator, Dining Buzz
Old Nov 9, 2012, 7:29 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by cblaisd
Topic check!

cblaisd
Moderator, Dining Buzz
Fair enough!
Old Nov 9, 2012, 8:12 am
hmv

Originally Posted by Paul4Travel
The best burger i had: Burger Bar Amsterdam..something delicious! try it if you're there around!
Thanks for the tip: I am going to try the Burger Bar next week, the concept sounds nice, its like a Subway for burgers. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.