Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Today .... I (we) have been eating ....

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2020, 3:06 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by braslvr
All I can say, is I wish I would have bought it years sooner. Absolute best $325 I've ever spent on a cooking appliance. (Traeger Jr.) If I only used it for pork ribs a few times a year it would be worth it, but I use it 2-4 times a month year round. I wont do ribs, pulled pork, tri-tip, or salmon any other way. Also pastrami, smoked turkey, and brisket though I haven't perfected the brisket yet. Not sure why you haven't done well. As long as you only use 180 or 225 degrees and a remote meat thermometer, it's almost foolproof.
When the weather cools down to 60s-70s, I'll read the Traeger manual and try it again. I have to google "remote meat thermometer".

I start with the standard 1 cup kosher salt and 1/2 to 1 cup sugar in 1 gallon of water. I've been experimenting with herbs and spices but haven't noticed that much gets imparted into the meat.
Maybe lightly simmer the herbs and spices in some water before preparing the brine?
Old Oct 17, 2020, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
I start with the standard 1 cup kosher salt and 1/2 to 1 cup sugar in 1 gallon of water. I've been experimenting with herbs and spices but haven't noticed that much gets imparted into the meat.
That's been my experience too. I thought maybe I was doing it wrong or not adding enough spices etc. I don't use sugar though.
Old Oct 17, 2020, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bensyd
That's been my experience too. I thought maybe I was doing it wrong or not adding enough spices etc. I don't use sugar though.
The sugar and the salt together make for a chemical reaction...try using both next time.
I always thought brines were to tenderize and marinades are for adding flavor. If you are going to do both, marinate first and then brine.
bensyd likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2020, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Originally Posted by corky
The sugar and the salt together make for a chemical reaction...try using both next time.
I always thought brines were to tenderize and marinades are for adding flavor. If you are going to do both, marinate first and then brine.
After trying to smoke poultry without brining, the main reason I do is to help prevent the meat from becoming dry and rubbery. The salt/sugar brine causes water to absorb into the poultry, noticeably so. Meat is ~25% heavier after soaking. I like the idea of marinating before brining. I may try that next time.

Originally Posted by boxo
When the weather cools down to 60s-70s, I'll read the Traeger manual and try it again. I have to google "remote meat thermometer".
Why does the weather need to be cool? I smoke stuff when it's 110 degrees outside.
I wouldn't give the Traeger manual much credence. They tend to recommend higher temperatures which on the Traeger, produce much less smoke. Anything much above 275 is akin to cooking in a regular convection oven. Look online instead for general ideas about smoking meat. I wasted a lot of time with Traeger's convoluted pork rib instructions, and their ideas for salmon are terrible. Low and slow, 180 to 225. You'll thank me.
corky likes this.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Oct 20, 2020 at 3:01 am Reason: merge
Old Oct 17, 2020, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
All I can say, is I wish I would have bought it years sooner. Absolute best $325 I've ever spent on a cooking appliance. (Traeger Jr.) ...
i saw your post this morning and then drove to visit friends’ second home, which had a Traeger. It looked more than $400 so I’ll assume it’s not Junior; it’s way too big for my own home as their Traeger is a bit bigger than our Weber Propane Grill. I’m still not ready to investigate smokers and I’m excited for a future smoking future!

Why does the weather need to be cool? I smoke stuff when it's 110 degrees outside.
I wouldn't give the Traeger manual much credence. They tend to recommend higher temperatures which on the Traeger, produce much less smoke. Anything much above 275 is akin to cooking in a regular convection oven. Look online instead for general ideas about smoking meat. I wasted a lot of time with Traeger's convoluted pork rib instructions, and their ideas for salmon are terrible. Low and slow, 180 to 225. You'll thank me.
I thank you now. You’re giving me some great ideas. I’m planning to screenshot your Traeger posts and pdf them for future use. [Removed overly personalized/overly familar/off-topic remark]

Last edited by cblaisd; Oct 18, 2020 at 8:27 pm
Old Oct 18, 2020, 12:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM

NYT Maple-Blueberry scones
corky and Kalboz like this.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 12:33 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Tahini Eggplant dip served with Greek pita bread for breakfast

Old Oct 18, 2020, 1:07 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Taking a break from keto, so lunch today was a Mediterranean breakfast bowl at our local Tender Greens: hummus, tabbouleh, arugula, sherry vinaigrette, heirloom tomatoes, cucumber, dill, basil, oregano, fried garbanzos & fried egg with grilled flatbread

As outstanding as that was, I was jealous of my little girl's chicken and waffles! She ate well, considering the generous drizzle of Cholula hot sauce over the chicken.
Cholula and Kalboz like this.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 6:33 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Was in my local Publix tonight and lo and behold, I finally see the Tostitos Avocado Salsa that has been being advertised for so long. I decided to grab it to try it, and had some while watching the end of the Dolphins shutout of the lowly Jets. Unfortunately, I will not be able to finish it as it is very spicy to my taste, so I will be bringing it to work to share with my coworkers who tend to eat very spicy food.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

fresh gigli with Raos marinara and leftover meatballs - I would have preferred boxed spaghetti pasta but I had bought fresh gigli for my spouse and only part of the package was eaten; it had a 10/15 sell date. Ill probably not buy it again because Im really satisfied with boxed dried spaghetti as opposed to fresh pasta.

early supper - deli sandwiches as a friend hosted us for a kid play date and as they were responsible for us being part of yesterdays mega epic outing, I knew that getting them their favorite deli sandwiches would be a nice gesture

me: head cheese / salami on dutch crunch with everything
spouse: Turkey, cranberry, & cream cheese on dutch crunch
hosts: (two) Turkey & bacon on hard sourdough (one without the jalapeo spread & pepperocini)
other friend: meatball & provolone & marinara with garlic sauce on soft roll - maybe Ill try making this with our Costco meatballs

Originally Posted by teddybear99
Was in my local Publix tonight and lo and behold, I finally see the Tostitos Avocado Salsa that has been being advertised for so long. I decided to grab it to try it, and had some while watching the end of the Dolphins shutout of the lowly Jets. Unfortunately, I will not be able to finish it as it is very spicy to my taste, so I will be bringing it to work to share with my coworkers who tend to eat very spicy food.
sorry it was too spicy - our local Casa Sanchez avocado salsa is also a bit spicy, which I love.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gaobest
fresh gigli with Raos marinara and leftover meatballs - I would have preferred boxed spaghetti pasta but I had bought fresh gigli for my spouse and only part of the package was eaten; it had a 10/15 sell date. Ill probably not buy it again because Im really satisfied with boxed dried spaghetti as opposed to fresh pasta.

early supper - deli sandwiches as a friend hosted us for a kid play date and as they were responsible for us being part of yesterdays mega epic outing, I knew that getting them their favorite deli sandwiches would be a nice gesture

me: head cheese / salami on dutch crunch with everything
spouse: Turkey, cranberry, & cream cheese on dutch crunch
hosts: (two) Turkey & bacon on hard sourdough (one without the jalapeo spread & pepperocini)
other friend: meatball & provolone & marinara with garlic sauce on soft roll - maybe Ill try making this with our Costco meatballs

sorry it was too spicy - our local Casa Sanchez avocado salsa is also a bit spicy, which I love.
OMG--I didn't know people really ate head cheese. On purpose.
TWA884 and Finkface like this.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corky
OMG--I didn't know people really ate head cheese. On purpose.
its also called cabeza at taquerias and people love it. How do you feel about buche / menudo with Mexican cuisine? Tongue?? Naturally my decision to not eat at restaurants in sf includes taquerias so Ive not had any taco with buche (stomach), cabeza (Head), lengua (tongue) since before 3/13. Blah. Maybe one day Ill go to a carneceria and see if they have this. Surely that Ranch 99 will have some of this stuff.

it is difficult to find tongue with any delicatessen and I know only one place in sf that has it. Mega yum. so nice alone or on a sandwich.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

its also called cabeza at taquerias and people love it. How do you feel about buche / menudo with Mexican cuisine? Tongue?? Naturally my decision to not eat at restaurants in sf includes taquerias so Ive not had any taco with buche (stomach), cabeza (Head), lengua (tongue) since before 3/13. Blah. Maybe one day Ill go to a carneceria and see if they have this. Surely that Ranch 99 will have some of this stuff.

it is difficult to find tongue with any delicatessen and I know only one place in sf that has it. Mega yum. so nice alone or on a sandwich.
A hard NO to all of the above .
cblaisd, gfunkdave and Finkface like this.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I enjoy menudo quite a bit, but have only sampled the lengua and cabeza years ago. Its just not my thing.

Ive eaten a lot of strange things over the years. I dont mind something if its weird, as long as it tastes really good.

Heres a new specialty chicken sandwich in SF that seems right up gaobests alley.

corky and Kalboz like this.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 11:27 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
it’s also called cabeza at taquerias and people love it. How do you feel about buche / menudo with Mexican cuisine? Tongue?? Naturally my decision to not eat at restaurants in sf includes taquerias so I’ve not had any taco with buche (stomach), cabeza (Head), lengua (tongue) since before 3/13. Blah. Maybe one day I’ll go to a carneceria and see if they have this. Surely that Ranch 99 will have some of this stuff.

You can find delicious grilled tongue at Mitsuwa Marketplace. Latino markets with deli may carry it! Raw stuff you can also find at Latino markets and sometimes at Vons! But it is labor intensive to prepare and delicate to cook.

Photo is pre-COVID (Costa Mesa - January 2018).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.