Favorite ethnic breakfast

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Favorite ethnic breakfast

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2012, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by youreadyfreddie
Scrambled eggs with Mexican chorizo and fresh flour tortillas along with my homemade salsa.
What I had for breakfast this morning - but CORN not flour tortilas and absolutely no tomatoes, potatoes or other "add-ins" (perfectly fine on the side).

http://www.simplecomfortfood.com/200...zo-con-huevos/

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
hands down my favorite ethnic breakfast is some refried beans with chilaquiles (mole, rojo or verdes, it's all good. I don't even require eggs or meat with them, just the beans & chilaquiles.
I had some very decent chialquiles for breakfast at the Palomar Hotel in San DIego last month - not as good as my mom's homemade chilaquiles, of course, but a very nice departure from standard hotel beakfast fare.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 11:25 am

Programs: krisflyer,aeroplan
kuching laksa, the breakfast of champions.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 6:46 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP
Mexican

* Huevos con Chorizo - with handmade flour tortillas, salsa on the side, and maybe some fried 'papas' (potatoes).

* Migas - a Southwest/US favorite. fried sliced corn tortillas scrambled with eggs (sometimes also with onions and tomatoes).

* Huevos con Nopales - scrambled eggs with sauteed cactus.

* Pan de Dulce - Mexican pastries. My fave is the 'conchas', or the ones resembling the (sea) shells, or the sweet empanadas filled with fresa (strawberry) or pina (pineapple).

* Frijoles con Chorizo - mashed refried beans with chorizo and flour tortillas.

Hawaiian

* Loco Moco - Two eggs sunny side up or poached, burger patty, white rice, brown gravy.

* Kahlua pork hash - you can find it at the Surf Lanai inside the Royal Hawaiian.

* Banana and Mac nut pancakes - you don't even need syrup for these.

* Spam musubi - block of hardened white rice, slice of fried spam, seaweed.

Thai

* Beef curry croquettes - I had these at a hotel, and ate plenty of them.

Japanese

* Traditional breakfast of rice, salmon, pickled vegetables, miso, and green tea.

Dominican Republic

* Fried yuca - Usually with eggs, meat and/or beans.

French

* Pain au chocolat - Nothing quite beats this standard pastry, with a cafe creme.

American

* Salmon & lox - with cream cheese, onions, peppercorns.

* Chicken and waffles - a new favorite.

* Chicken fried steak - with biscuits, gravy and scrambled eggs.

* Apple fritter - preferably the non-mass produced kind, something from a local bakery.

Swiss

* Muesli - with fresh fruit, maybe a little honey.

Last edited by seattletravelguy; Aug 18, 2012 at 7:31 pm
Old Aug 18, 2012, 9:28 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Plat Premier, SPG Plat
seattletravelguy... I'm drooling just reading your list. I feel like you left out the biscuits and gravy on the American list but aside from that... yum!
Old Aug 20, 2012, 11:40 am

A cup of freshly made soy milk and glutinous rice roll with dried fried pork and bits of fried dough in it from streets of Taiwan.

Last edited by cblaisd; Aug 20, 2012 at 1:22 pm Reason: Removed commercial signature
Old Aug 20, 2012, 7:21 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by seattletravelguy
Mexican

* Pan de Dulce - Mexican pastries. My fave is the 'conchas', or the ones resembling the (sea) shells, or the sweet empanadas filled with fresa (strawberry) or pina (pineapple).

French

* Pain au chocolat - Nothing quite beats this standard pastry, with a cafe creme.
This strikes me as amazing that one can like Mexican pastries & French.

Mexican pastries are w/o a doubt bad, there are a few ok ones but mex pastries don't come close to French pastries. They aren't flaky, not complex, generally singular in flavor, not crisp, etc etc. There is a chance I've not been to a good Mexican panadria/bakery but with Chicago's sizable hispanic population, I'm guessing I've been to perhaps 8 or so, as well as others when I travel, each one was meh at best.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 9:08 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
So true. Most of my Mexican friends don't even like Mexican pastries much.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 6:15 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Plat Premier, SPG Plat

Mexican pastries are w/o a doubt bad, there are a few ok ones but mex pastries don't come close to French pastries. They aren't flaky, not complex, generally singular in flavor, not crisp, etc etc. There is a chance I've not been to a good Mexican panadria/bakery but with Chicago's sizable hispanic population, I'm guessing I've been to perhaps 8 or so, as well as others when I travel, each one was meh at best.
If you can count churros in with Mexican pastries I would disagree.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:32 am

The key to great Mexican pastries is to buy them early at a panaderia. Some of them are quite delicate, so they become hard and/or stale as the day goes on. But the 'marranitos" (little piggies) are so delicious when they're freshly made; it's a Mexican molasses treat. And the fruit-filled empanadas...yum!

The French have made pastries an art. I lived in France and devoured anything I could get my hands on. The Mexicans can't compete, but similar to the Chinese their bakery items are more doughy and cake-y rather than being sophisticated. Still, they're quite food if bought fresh.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 3:15 pm

I also wanted to comment that the French use a significant amount of butter in their pastries, which isn't common with Mexican baked goods. Butter certainly adds to the richness of the French pastries.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:22 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

I also wanted to comment that the French use a significant amount of butter in their pastries, which isn't common with Mexican baked goods. Butter certainly adds to the richness of the French pastries.
And to get everyone back on topic, I hear mayonnaise is a major source of inspiration for bakers in East Asia...

to be fair though, I do like 油条 youtiao (fried bread sticks) with cold soybean milk in China. 油条 is a breakfast staple in the south, and makes a welcome appearance in congee (porridge), but I'll eat it anytime the sky is blue.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 2:25 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
The key to great Mexican pastries is to buy them early at a panaderia. Some of them are quite delicate, so they become hard and/or stale as the day goes on. But the 'marranitos" (little piggies) are so delicious when they're freshly made; it's a Mexican molasses treat. And the fruit-filled empanadas...yum!
Thanks, my local place I'm getting to know the folks (as I keep trying different items) so will ask not only what's fresh from the oven but also about marranitos.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.