Reload this Page >

Favorite ethnic breakfast

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Favorite ethnic breakfast

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2012, 4:04 am

russian kasha is perhaps the best hangover breakfast (a lesson i learned from drinking far too much vodka in russia).

vietnamese pho has its own very active thread here. i've never actually eaten it for breakfast, though.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 4:17 pm

Favorite breakfast would be the table-crushing Middle Eastern morning spreads. Shakshuka is delicious (the Levantine kind, not the Gulf kind), as is bread with ful medames (extra herbs + spices, no onions), chickpeas, and labnah, along with picked vegetables, fatayer, manakish, and fresh fruit. Then ending sweetly with some halwa with tahini. Mmmmm, now I'm hungry.

Originally Posted by freezefactor
I love jianbing in China (mostly Northern) - basically a fried egg with a crepe on top of it - with the spicy sauce and everything it is fantastic. With a cup of freshly made warm doujiang (soymilk), a couple tea eggs, and I am set for the day. And super cheap as well (as with all Chinese street food).
This, but really also anything the early morning vendors have out. I'd say jianbing is more a crepe with egg on top, than the other way around, plus a couple smears of soybean paste and spicy sauce, a sprinkle of herbs, and (the best part) crunchy fried dough in the middle. An abomination of a crepe compared to its delicate French cousin, but it's surprisingly delicious and so comforting on those cold Beijing mornings.

I applaud whoever mentioned a Hawaiian Loco Moco - you must share your strategy for not falling asleep immediately afterwards.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by PTravel
I love Chinese congee with pork and thousand-year eggs. Nothing better for a hangover. For that matter, though not one dish, Chinese tea, known to westerners as "dim sum," is a wonderful breakfast.
I also like those, but I'm perfectly happy with some fried pork buns (not steamed) and a few cups of coffee. I used to live near Chicago's Chinatown and would go to one of the coffee shops for breakfast. It was mostly older Chinese men and me, a kid in his early 20's. I still miss that experience.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 6:01 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
I love a good breakfast.

While I've had terrific morning meals in many different countries and truly enjoyed many differet items;

hands down my favorite ethnic breakfast is some refried beans with chilaquiles (mole, rojo or verdes, it's all good) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chilaquiles
I don't even require eggs or meat with them, just the beans & chilaquiles.

Thankfully there are plenty of places that make the dish locally here in Chicago.^

(bolding mine) I look forward to speaking with you tomorrow about this topic
Hi Willie
It was good to see you Too Many Books and others at the cheese warehouse market. Good stuff. Picked up some habanero chhedar.

RE INDIAN B FAST
As I said there aren't places that serve these dishes. We all buy the items individually, prepare them from scratc....some every morning !

For the "rice crepes" ( Dosa)I mentioned, you can get many varieties with different stuffings and accompanyments there are a couple of places on Devon and in the suburbs.

TO try out various combinations without blowing a hole in your wallet I highly recommend a restaurant called SANKALP near you on Golf & 83. Go on Thursday night when you can have as many dosas as you want for $ 10. A real deal....look at the varieties, ask questions. See if you can get a waiter named Neeraj.

For other nights you should check Restaurant.com for derts.

When I get back, I will investigate other locations and let you know.

Be carefull there may be two locations of Sankalp...go to the one in the strip mall on Golf and 63.

Questions ?
Old Jul 10, 2012, 8:01 pm

Programs: HGP/SPG: Apprentice Kettle; UA/AA/DL: Journeyman Kettle
very ethnic ...

Scrambled eggs
pancakes or waffles
sausage or bacon or ham
orange juice
toast or biscuit with butter, jelly and or jam
Old Jul 11, 2012, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by crabbing
russian kasha is perhaps the best hangover breakfast (a lesson i learned from drinking far too much vodka in russia).
I choked down an extremely salty bowl
of kasha prepared by a Russian grandmother every day while I was there - I had repressed that memory until now! On the plus side, by around the eighth day, she accepted that ham was meat, and being veggie, I wasn't going to accept her kind offer if a fried slab of it in the morning!
Old Jul 11, 2012, 9:40 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by embla
Favorite breakfast would be the table-crushing Middle Eastern morning spreads. Shakshuka is delicious (the Levantine kind, not the Gulf kind), as is bread with ful medames (extra herbs + spices, no onions), chickpeas, and labnah, along with picked vegetables, fatayer, manakish, and fresh fruit. Then ending sweetly with some halwa with tahini. Mmmmm, now I'm hungry.
Bullseye-albeit for lunch/dinner only (they aren't open for breakfast; too busy playing majong), I go to an Egyptian restaurant in Shenzhen, China for ful and my fill of greens for the day.

Also, would you mind explaining the differences in the two shakshuka recipes?
Old Jul 11, 2012, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by Tad's Broiled Steaks
Bullseye-albeit for lunch/dinner only (they aren't open for breakfast; too busy playing majong), I go to an Egyptian restaurant in Shenzhen, China for ful and my fill of greens for the day.

Also, would you mind explaining the differences in the two shakshuka recipes?
Mainly a difference in the ratio of egg to tomato sauce. Levantine (though with roots in North Africa) is as described in the first post, with eggs cracked on top of the tomatoes, and extremely comforting served warm and with bread to mop it all up. What we call shakshuka in the GCC is really just scrambled eggs flavored with tomato/sauce, nothing special.

You can see the difference if you image search "shakshuka" then "شكشوكة‎"
Old Jul 11, 2012, 7:46 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
A breakfast burrito with good chorizo, hot sauce and eggs from a place in Phoenix or Tucson with a prominently displayed "CASH ONLY" sign
Old Jul 11, 2012, 9:55 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Taiwanese "chicken rice" (http://www.wikipedia123.com/Wikipedi...cken-Rice.html)

Who doesn't love meat + rice + drizzle of chicken fat first thing in the morning?!

And I also love any European bakery's version of an almond croissant. That's always my weak spot...head outside -> follow nose to local bakery -> grab an almond croissant -> slowly walk around to enjoy the sites while dropping massive amounts of crumbs all over my shirt.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
In a similar manner, Thai sticky rice & grilled pork...Kao Niew Moo Ping.
My go-to breakfast when in Thailand.

Little bit of crispy pork fat at the end of the skewer of pork....yummy.

http://www.123rf.com/photo_10762373_...breakfast.html
Old Jul 12, 2012, 9:03 am

Not ethnic to most of you I'd imagine but I couldn't get enough of the pancakes & French toast in New York, especially at Norma's, the brunch restaurant in Le Parker Meridian.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Churros con chocolate. ^

shakshuka is divine but more of a brunch dish imo.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA Kayaker and LVF, OZ Carbonesque
I would go for congee or soy milk with you tiao. I have also had seolleongtang (ox bone soup), which made for a very hearty breakfast.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 1:24 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by MIT_SBM
Scrambled eggs
pancakes or waffles
sausage or bacon or ham
orange juice
toast or biscuit with butter, jelly and or jam
Times, they are achanging...
IHOP now is ethnic ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.