FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   DiningBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz-371/)
-   -   Favorite ethnic breakfast (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz/1363091-favorite-ethnic-breakfast.html)

uszkanni Jul 4, 2012 2:26 am

Favorite ethnic breakfast

There's been a couple of threads on breakfasts, but I don't remember seeing this one....

I was perusing the Matmid forum and came across an Israeli breakfast called "shakshuka." It's basically eggs poached in a spicy tomato sauce/stew consisting of diced tomatos, onions, garlic, bell peppers, jalapenos or other chiles sauteed in olive oil. Very Mediterannean. As I was reading the recipe I thought to myself that, as a breakfast, this dish sounded really, really horrible.

But it got me to thinking about which ethnic breakfasts I did like. Two on my list are:

Scottish:
Oatmeal with a splash of cream, bacon and sausages, haggis, kippers and/or smokies, eggs, sauteed mushrooms, toast or scones with marmalade, hot and strong coffee. I can live without the baked beans and tomatoes.

Thai:
Chok/Jok. Rice porridge loaded with lots of stuff: ginger, green onions, egg and whatever seems to be left lying around (could be pork, chicken, duck blood, shrimp, etc., etc., etc.). Mixed spicy and accompanied with an ice cold beer.

What do others hunger for?

GuyverII Jul 4, 2012 3:29 am

Since my wife is Uzbek, on occasion we have Uzbek bread, grapes, and heavy cream for dipping the bread. Topped off with hot tea.

In Spain we usually have toasted bread with olive oil and a bit of salt. Only with café con leche.

But my all-time favorite ethnic breakfast is Costa Rican: gallo pinto with two eggs over easy with tortillas. Salsa Lizano optional.

Great thread, btw. Looking forward to trying that Thai breakfast as well as a Burmese one during my RGN trip in December!

TravelMutt Jul 4, 2012 6:12 am

Columbian, Cuban, Peruvian, etc. Most hispanic or caribbean cultures incorporate rice and beans.

Beans and rice, a couple sunny side up eggs, and some hot sauce, with toast and strong coffee.

That is the perfect breakfast for me.

FinalCallDXB Jul 4, 2012 11:04 am

I grew quite accustomed to Nasi Lemak while working in Malaysia a couple of years ago, albeit with the ommision of the crispy anchovies ( which I can't handle before lunch). I rarely find it where I live now but often substitute the more ubiquitous Nasi Goreng as a weekend breakfast.

Despite several years of living in the middle east, and being generally partial to the local cuisine, I have never enjoyed the local breakfast of Ful Medammes.

N1120A Jul 4, 2012 11:23 am

Shakshouka isn't actually of Israeli origin, but from the Maghreb. Kind of co-opted in the way Israelis like to co-opt anything good and pretend they invented it ;). Its actually quite good, but more of a cold weather thing.

I personally think the meal Americans really got it right on is breakfast. Real pancakes (especially buckwheat), eggs and chicken/apple sausage sounds about right to me.

That said, I also love the basic French breakfast of crusty bread, soft cheese, fresh fruit preserves and jet fuel...I mean good coffee. Similarly, the Iranian version, with fresh bread, feta, chopped tomatoes and cucumbers (I'm not a sar shir fan) and perhaps some yogurt and honey.

I'm also a fan of congee - especially with herbs, peanuts and dried anchovies.

nerd Jul 4, 2012 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by TravelMutt (Post 18868558)
Columbian, Cuban, Peruvian, etc..

Columbian?

Meaning related to the city in SC, or the university, or the record label? Most would not consider that to be Hispanic or Caribbean. :confused:

mhlwang Jul 4, 2012 5:45 pm

maybe they meant Colombian?

cordelli Jul 4, 2012 8:57 pm

I love huevos rancheros when done right.

Gamecock Jul 5, 2012 4:13 am

Originally Posted by TravelMutt (Post 18868558)
Columbian......

Being from Columbia I miss having grits for breakfast. :p

Seriously,
I love a good German breakfast, fresh brotchen, cheeses, meats, fruits, endless cups of coffee.

A good, proper British breakfast is good as well, minus the black pudding.:eek: That breakfast will stick to your ribs and allow for a small lunch when out touring.

mosburger Jul 5, 2012 6:27 am

Originally Posted by N1120A (Post 18869994)
Similarly, the Iranian version, with fresh bread, feta, chopped tomatoes and cucumbers (I'm not a sar shir fan) and perhaps some yogurt and honey.

Isn't this also very similar to the "basic" Turkish brekkie? Ah, nothing better in summertime...With a cuppa or two of local tea.

emma69 Jul 5, 2012 7:40 am

Originally Posted by uszkanni (Post 18867990)
There's been a couple of threads on breakfasts, but I don't remember seeing this one....

I was perusing the Matmid forum and came across an Israeli breakfast called "shakshuka." It's basically eggs poached in a spicy tomato sauce/stew consisting of diced tomatos, onions, garlic, bell peppers, jalapenos or other chiles sauteed in olive oil. Very Mediterannean. As I was reading the recipe I thought to myself that, as a breakfast, this dish sounded really, really horrible.

Sounds very similar to one of my favourite Mexican breakfasts, eggs (albeing scrambled, as I don't like poached), tomatoes, onions, jalepenos, peppers etc. ideally with a large dollop of hot green salsa on the side, and the delicious slightly sweet rolls filled with cream cheese!

I also love potatoes at breakfast, home fries type style, so those with eggs, and a little spice work well, be the spice Mexican, Spanish or Indian.

I like good fresh bread with cheeses at breakfast, so European continental works for me too.

My all time favourite breakfast has to be Staffordshire Oatcakes, filled with really strong melty chedder cheese, topped with Heinz baked beans, accompanied by a large glass of OJ.

N1120A Jul 5, 2012 9:00 am

Originally Posted by mosburger (Post 18873731)
Isn't this also very similar to the "basic" Turkish brekkie? Ah, nothing better in summertime...With a cuppa or two of local tea.

I can go for it summer or winter. Tea works, though I usually press myself some jet fuel...I mean coffee.

Originally Posted by emma69 (Post 18874027)

My all time favourite breakfast has to be Staffordshire Oatcakes, filled with really strong melty chedder cheese, topped with Heinz baked beans, accompanied by a large glass of OJ.

Yeah, that sounds really good right about now.

mrx900 Jul 5, 2012 9:19 am

Originally Posted by GuyverII (Post 18868149)
Since my wife is Uzbek, on occasion we have Uzbek bread, grapes, and heavy cream for dipping the bread. Topped off with hot tea.

!

your Uzbeki breakfast sounds a lot like an Afghan breakfast---bread..with 'qaimagh (clotted cream) and tea :)

benchardf Jul 5, 2012 9:23 am

Filipino: Longonisa, tocino, garlic friend rice

PTravel Jul 5, 2012 9:31 am

I love Chinese congee with pork and thousand-year eggs. Nothing better for a hangover. For that matter, though not one dish, Chinese tea, known to westerners as "dim sum," is a wonderful breakfast.