Reload this Page >

Favorite ethnic breakfast

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Favorite ethnic breakfast

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2012, 10:35 am

South Indian Breakfast - Masala Dosa, Ootappams, Vadai, Idly!

can get all of them at http://www.saravanabhavan.com/
Old Jul 27, 2012, 6:36 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Alas, none in ORD.

There are a few South Indian dishes in Chicago, but no one is open for b/Fast. Besides somehow all named dishes are a la carte and will run up a tab over $ 25 PP.

In ORD area, try the Dosa nite (all you can eat dosas of all varities) thursdays at Sankalp in Mount Prospect and Priya in Scaumberg.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 3:36 am

Programs: *G
anything asian... warm savoury soups and broths and noodles e.g. aforementioned pho and congee

im an adventurous eater but when it comes to breakfast none of the rest of the options interest me whatsoever... breads, jams, jellies, pastries, cheeses, nasty cured meats (proper salami and prosciutto are exception), pickles, yogurts, etc

in most western or continental hotels i skip the entire cold "spread" and head for the oatmeal if available. maybe a bit of sauteed mushrooms and grilled tomatoes too. failing that, then pancakes
Old Jul 28, 2012, 7:19 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
I can't do cold or sweet breakfasts. If that's all there is, I'll have a glass of milk and wait for lunch.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 7:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by Gamecock
Being from Columbia I miss having grits for breakfast.

Seriously,
I love a good German breakfast, fresh brotchen, cheeses, meats, fruits, endless cups of coffee.
and in Bavaria a weissbier as well
Old Jul 28, 2012, 11:48 pm

Location: MEL, PER, PBO, occasionally ships, oil rigs and other places that no sane human being should ever find themselves
Programs: IHG RA, PC Plat, QF Plat/LTS
Heuvos Rancheros.

I also don't mind a REAL continental breakfast. Not a danish and a cup of coffee but a German or French style one with good rolls, real cheeses, cold cuts, etc.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 12:46 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Originally Posted by medic51vrf

I also don't mind a REAL continental breakfast. Not a danish and a cup of coffee but a German or French style one with good rolls, real cheeses, cold cuts, etc.
I like that too..... for lunch, an afternoon snack, or a light dinner.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 11:22 am

My favorite breakfast would have to be spicy chicken Johnny Cakes and fresh squeezed orange juice (12 oz) at Ruby's Cafe in San Pedro on Ambergris Caye, Belize. All for under $5US. Hurry though, they sell out by about 8:00am in the morning!
Old Jul 29, 2012, 5:01 pm

Location: MEL, PER, PBO, occasionally ships, oil rigs and other places that no sane human being should ever find themselves
Programs: IHG RA, PC Plat, QF Plat/LTS
Originally Posted by braslvr
I like that too..... for lunch, an afternoon snack, or a light dinner.
Yep, quite often when I'm traveling through Europe (as I will be next month through October ) I will often ask the hotel if I can take a bit extra at breakfast (IE make a couple of sandwiches or whatever) to eat as a snack or lunch while driving or at a rest stop. I'm happy to pay extra if they want or if they refuse I'll stop at a deli somewhere.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 10:27 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Originally Posted by infamousdx
Agree! -silog breakfasts will fuel you up for any day!
Silogs are great anytime. The hard part is choosing - tosilog, tapsilog, pusitsilog, etc.

http://sinugba.webs.com/

Sinugba is my Bay Area favorite.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 10:45 am

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
In Taiwan fried eggs inside a sesame covered envelope of bread an spicy sauce. I think it's called Sau Bing?

In Shanghai a similar egg inside of crep-like thing with green onions and spicy sauce. I think called Dan Bing.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 11:00 pm
Suspended

My wife loves what she calls a " whore's breakfast. "
Which is basically a cup of coffee and a cigarette.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 12:07 pm

Huevos Rancheros as made by my wild Irish bride.

Ripe or over-ripe tomatoes, fried in bacon grease. With bread or hash browns to sop up the mess. My mother-in-law invented this dish as a maid in Ireland. Her employer gave her over-ripe tomatoes they couldn't sell, and wouldn't eat themselves. It is now a family treat.

Blinis with caviar and sour cream. Only in Baku Azerbaijan.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 3:31 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AAdvantage
I had no idea french toast was a sweet breakfast item until I came across it in the dining halls in undergrad.

That's because we always ate it savory at home, the way my parents knew it from the motherland (India). Onions, cilantro, and chilies are chopped and tossed in with the egg. They called it french toast and we ate it for breakfast on the weekends. Recently I went home and my mom randomly made a plate of these. As much as I'm trying to be "low-carb egg-whites only" to get skinny, I just couldn't say no and had 2 servings. Once I helped my mother-in-law make this for breakfast and I was intrigued as I wanted to try hers. I never got the chance - my husband and his cousin devoured the whole plate in 5 minutes and gave no consideration to the fact that there was a house full of people who got none.

I never order the sweet kind when out at brunch. My palate gets confused.

Last edited by sent; Aug 6, 2012 at 6:53 am
Old Aug 7, 2012, 10:11 am

Programs: BA GGL (CCR), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IC RA, Club Carlson Gold
Papusa's in El Salvador!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.