Souffles

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2012, 9:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by Orchids
should that be 4 T sugar?
You can put granulated sugar in a food processor/blender to make it finer for caster sugar.
Oops, you're right. I'll fix that. Thanks for noticing. Oh, that's caster. I'll change it to extra fine for other dummies like me! And what about 100 ml of thick white sauce in the next recipe - not sure whether that's a liquid or dry measurement conversion for these purposes.

Originally Posted by Steph3n
I know where I can get twin yolk eggs, but where do I find the double white eggs?
You may have to go to Melbourne.

Last edited by ILuvParis; Jan 12, 2012 at 9:20 pm
Old Jan 12, 2012, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
And what about 100 ml of thick white sauce in the next recipe - not sure whether that's a liquid or dry measurement conversion for these purposes.
I would think it's a liquid (TSA might call it a gel). This may help~

http://www.recipe-idea.com/conversion-chart.html
Old Jan 15, 2012, 11:45 am

Next up? Chocolate!
Ok, you've got my attention. ^

Please, we want to see pictures both of the final product including the oozing, yummy chocolate once you've taken that first spoonful.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 2:03 pm

Programs: QF WP, LTG, QP on hold
I know where I can get twin yolk eggs, but where do I find the double white eggs?

Ah, they occur with small batches of vanilla custard sauce. :+>

Audrey
Old Jan 17, 2012, 2:08 pm

And what about 100 ml of thick white sauce in the next recipe - not sure whether that's a liquid or dry measurement conversion for these purposes.
Do you have dry cups and liquid cups? I find this "dry" and "wet" measure business much more confusing than metric measurements!

100 ml is 100 ml. Half a cup should be a reasonable approximation - it's not a precise recipe.

Audrey
Old Jan 17, 2012, 2:11 pm

I just realized that it looks like falconea left a step out - there is no mention made, after beating the eggwhites, of folding them into the chocolate mixture
Apologies - I've amended my post.

Audrey
Old Jan 17, 2012, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by falconea
Do you have dry cups and liquid cups? I find this "dry" and "wet" measure business much more confusing than metric measurements!

100 ml is 100 ml. Half a cup should be a reasonable approximation - it's not a precise recipe.

Audrey
No, dry and wet is all the same when it comes to cups. But I saw some conversion talking about fluid oz. - that got me all confused.

We made ham and gruyere souffles on Sunday for breakfast - lined the ramekins with butter and fresh grated parmesan. Heavenly!
Old Jan 18, 2012, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by LapLap
Yes... Horrible!

But it isn't souffle - more like a moelleux.
I just made this, as I was in a 'mocha' mood, and it is incredibly good.
I don't have an electric beater or even one of the old fashioned crank kind, my arms are worn out from whisking so much!

I am enjoying this treat a lot more than I should, considering I worked so hard to make it.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 3:56 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I just made this, as I was in a 'mocha' mood, and it is incredibly good.
I don't have an electric beater or even one of the old fashioned crank kind, my arms are worn out from whisking so much!

I am enjoying this treat a lot more than I should, considering I worked so hard to make it.
Julia Child taught me how to make a soufflé from her first cookbook. I still have the unlined copper bowl she convinced me was essential for beating the egg whites.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by obscure2k
Julia Child taught me how to make a soufflé from her first cookbook. I still have the unlined copper bowl she convinced me was essential for beating the egg whites.
I got a the bowl, I have a whisk, my arm, I barely have now, tomorrow it will be stronger!

Now, that recipe needs a pinch of salt too, it was lacking in that regard, still very enjoyable.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

About 90 seconds with an electric mixer and a little cream of tartar.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 9:01 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

About 90 seconds with an electric mixer and a little cream of tartar.
Right you are and my beautiful unlined copper bowl from Dehilleran in Paris will always look beautiful in my home, although it has been untouched by egg whites for many years.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, dry and wet is all the same when it comes to cups. But I saw some conversion talking about fluid oz. - that got me all confused.

We made ham and gruyere souffles on Sunday for breakfast - lined the ramekins with butter and fresh grated parmesan. Heavenly!
Cups are fairly simple (or they are know I know what they are in ml!) What Canadians don't seem to grasp is my 'level teaspoon', 'rounded teaspoon' and 'heaped teaspoon' instructions (per my grandmother's recipes) which is a good deal of difference for some ingredients!
Old Mar 17, 2012, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

I found an old chocolate souffle recipe which I had clipped years ago. It is easier than the one our Aussie friend posted above. Whether it is as good or not, I can't say, because I haven't tried hers. What is nice about this one is that you don't have leftover yolks and the whole process is is less complex and less work. I'll still try hers at some point because if hers is better, that'll be the go to recipe. I have a bunch of ramekins because we prefer individual souffles, so I adapted it for individuals. Here goes:

Hot Chocolate Souffle
(Four to six servings)

1/2 C sugar, divided
1/3 C unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 C flour
1/8 t salt
1 C milk
1/2 t vanilla
4 eggs, separated
1/2 t cream of tartar

1. Mix 1/4-cup sugar and the rest of the dry ingredients in a medium saucepan. Stir in the milk and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture begins to boil and is smooth and thickened. Stir in vanilla. Cool.

2. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar in a medium mixing bowl, at a high speed until foamy. Add the remaining 1/4-cup of sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time (you don't need to measure tablespoons, you can guess), beating constantly, until the egg whites form soft peaks.

3. Thoroughly blend the egg yolks into the reserved chocolate sauce. Gently, but thoroughly, fold the chocolate mixture into the egg whites.

4. Carefully pour into 1 1/2 - 2 quart souffle dish or casserole (or for individual souffles, pour into four buttered and sugared 8 oz. (or so) ramekins - or even six 6 oz. or so ramekins). Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes (or if individual, 20-25 minutes), until puffy and delicately browned. The finished souffle will shake slightly or "quiver" when the oven rack is removed gently. Serve immediately, with fresh whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
In Paris yesterday. Dinner finished with Soufflé aux noisettes avec sauce de framboise (hazelnutsoufflé with raspberry sauce)

Divine!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.