FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   DiningBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz-371/)
-   -   Souffles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz/1299140-souffles.html)

ILuvParis Jan 5, 2012 11:11 pm

Souffles

My partner and I and several friends were in Paris last month and one of the things we did was eat at Le Souffle. It was terrific. Anyway, I ordered a chicken and mushroom souffle. When they served it, they brought out a (I think) cheese souffle and a bowl of chicken and mushrooms in a cream sauce. They "dug" (for lack of a better term) a hole in the middle of the souffle and spooned the chicken and sauce into it. It was wonderful.

Anyway, after Christmas, I made my usual creamed turkey (boiling the carcass, separating the meat from the bones, straining, thickening and all that). After one meal of serving it over mashed potatoes, for another, we decided to attempt souffles and serve them like they did in Paris. We used this basic recipe:

http://www.murraywilliams.com/cooking/souffle.html

We used gruyere cheese and instead of a large souffle, made individual ones, buttering the ramekins and lining them with grated parmesan. They turned out beautiful and so delicious - with and without the creamed turkey.

Next up? Chocolate!

trooper Jan 6, 2012 1:42 am

You are a cruel one indeed...:D

I'm just home from work and haven't eaten yet!!!!

(Whatever I have won't live up to that souffle I'm sorry to say...:()

ILuvParis Jan 6, 2012 2:20 am

Originally Posted by trooper (Post 17758592)
You are a cruel one indeed...:D

I'm just home from work and haven't eaten yet!!!!

(Whatever I have won't live up to that souffle I'm sorry to say...:()

We took pics. They were so beautiful when they came out of the oven! :D

Steph3n Jan 6, 2012 5:50 am

souffles are awesome.

I like making them with many cheeses, like to combine the normal cheeses that tend to be mild with some more pungent cheeses, even hard cheeses.

Also you can make them with varied styles depending on mood, you can do some incredible italian basil and tomato souffle :D

RobbieRunner Jan 6, 2012 6:21 am

One of the treats of life for many culinary buffs is the venerable "Souffle".
I try not to think about them.

Like the OP, I love Paris. And of course, the food. A Souffle is always on my agenda. That and Moules-frites.

Here in the States, I've actually found the Morton's Steak House "Amaretto Souffle" to be wonderful for desert. I always order it.

C'est magnifique!

jcwoman Jan 6, 2012 7:33 am

Souffles are much easier to make that many people realize.

ILuvParis Jan 6, 2012 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by jcwoman (Post 17759828)
Souffles are much easier to make that many people realize.

A lot of cooking is like that, but when people see make a roux, beat eggwhites and fold them into something, it's all over.

RobbieRunner Jan 6, 2012 12:42 pm

Yes.
And the waiters/waitresses at places like Morton's always make a big deal out of it.
"Sir, if you and madame are going to order the "Souffle" for desert, may I suggest you get your order in now, because they take time to prepare!
;)

LapLap Jan 7, 2012 3:08 am

I bit.

I'd put off making a soufflé for years as I'd hoped to try a good one before attempting it. It's a dish that has kept eluding me. I was in Spain last time I ordered a suflé de limon and instead of a light, airy, lemony cloud of scrumptiosness I got a horrible sickly sweet Italian style meringue (what I would generally call a 'tarta merengada' or 'tarta de merengue') and a side dollop of 'education' by a South American waiter who repeatedly insisted in patronising terms that this is what souffles are (I'm sure he chuckled about my ignorance later to colleagues, friends and family :( ).

Anyway, now that I have an Airfryer which means nearly instant warm up times for what is effectively a small oven I tried this recipe with some aged gouda I had to hand and used small ramekins (a 2 egg recipe for three portions.)

They took 15 minutes in the oven, so just under 25 minutes from start to finish.

Glorious! Our two year old was particularly fond of her soufflé and wolfed it down as soon as it was cool enough.

Verdict: easier than poaching an egg (it took many, many attempts for me to get to a point where I'm usually happy with my poached and boiled eggs, soufflé was perfect on first attempt - and I don't think it was a fluke)

Thanks!

wrp96 Jan 7, 2012 10:12 am

Thanks to this thread I was inspired to have souffle for breakfast. Yum!

Cloudship Jan 7, 2012 7:47 pm

I don't think I have ever had a true souffle. I have yet to encounter one on a restaurant menu, and have never met anyone who made them. I tried making one once from a recipe but it was a dismal failure. Part of me thinks they wold be nothing more than a baked egg that is really light - I am assuming there is more to it than that?

ILuvParis Jan 7, 2012 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by Cloudship (Post 17769397)
I don't think I have ever had a true souffle. I have yet to encounter one on a restaurant menu, and have never met anyone who made them. I tried making one once from a recipe but it was a dismal failure. Part of me thinks they wold be nothing more than a baked egg that is really light - I am assuming there is more to it than that?

If you look at the basic recipe in the op, you'll see that it's quite a bit more than a baked egg.

broadwayblue Jan 8, 2012 1:17 am

Saw this video earlier today. looks absolutely terrible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3A2Am4LqLo

LapLap Jan 8, 2012 3:47 am

Originally Posted by broadwayblue (Post 17770330)
Saw this video earlier today. looks absolutely terrible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3A2Am4LqLo

Yes... Horrible!

But it isn't souffle - more like a moelleux.

LapLap Jan 8, 2012 4:17 am

Originally Posted by Cloudship (Post 17769397)
Part of me thinks they wold be nothing more than a baked egg that is really light - I am assuming there is more to it than that?

You seem to be underestimating how much of a part the small amount of starch plays when it comes to texture, succulence and flavour.
It doesn't taste anything like meringue -where egg is beaten with sugar and baked nor is it like a whipped omelet (with or without the yolk).
I'd put off eating one for years as I didn't want a mediocre version to be a defining first experience and leave me prejudiced against this classic dish in the way you became after your disaster.
I've already made it a second time - makes a nice change from eggy bread for breakfast - and am so pleased I finally tackled my souffle virginity.

ILuvParis - if you come across a kickass chocolate souffle do please post the recipe here. I've made my fair share of moelleux and fondants but am always vaguely disappointed with them. I suspect the chocolate dessert of my dreams is actually a souffle with a chocolate sauce poured into the middle.