Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2020, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Buy it at Costco! Happy air frying.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
It depends on what you cook. I’ve had ours for almost 2 years. Great for frozen items like tater tots, spring rolls, chicken wings, dim sum, onion rings, breaded shrimp and the like. We’ve done chicken quarters and some veggies, but the frozen items come out best. Don’t get the smaller baby versions, there’s often not much price difference between the small and large ones.

We bought a Gourmia 5qt model from Costco in 2018 for about $60.

Last edited by Jaimito Cartero; Jun 23, 2020 at 8:45 am
Old Jun 23, 2020, 8:39 am

We bought one for $100 CAD, when we had three extra adults home it allowed us to cook enough vegetables for family dinners daily. We would have three full shelves of veggies roasting in the oven, and that still was not enough for 5 of us. It was a cheap solution to meal prep issues, and it is easy to clean in the dishwasher. Since the grown kids left we have used it once or twice for "fried" potatoes" and they are good, we would not eat fried food and was better than turning on the oven for a smaller amount. It could be a great solution for places that do not have an oven.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

got one, used it a few times, now it sits in the pantry. It doesn't fry as nice as a real fryer and I agree with the poster up thread that I can do the same in the oven on a wire rack.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by annerj
got one, used it a few times, now it sits in the pantry. It doesn't fry as nice as a real fryer and I agree with the poster up thread that I can do the same in the oven on a wire rack.
my fear about “things” in general :-)
Old Jun 23, 2020, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gaobest
my fear about “things” in general :-)

Off topic but we just cleaned out our pantry.....we got rid of a BUNCH of stuff like this. Pizza cooker, duplicate waffle iron, crepe maker, old dedicated ice tea maker, at least 4-5 other similar items that i'm not thinking about.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 10:39 am

We've been making air fryer recipes in our convection oven on wire racks, and things seem to come out pretty well. If your oven has a convection function, you might give that a try first.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 10:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by annerj

Off topic but we just cleaned out our pantry.....we got rid of a BUNCH of stuff like this. Pizza cooker, duplicate waffle iron, crepe maker, old dedicated ice tea maker, at least 4-5 other similar items that i'm not thinking about.
The domestic use machines are generally rubbish across the board. You really need to use restaurant quality machines if you want performance. We've given up on the gimmicks.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by LondonElite
The domestic use machines are generally rubbish across the board. You really need to use restaurant quality machines if you want performance. We've given up on the gimmicks.
I agree with this however, restaurant quality equipment usually costs a lot of money.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 11:01 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by Buster
We've been making air fryer recipes in our convection oven on wire racks, and things seem to come out pretty well. If your oven has a convection function, you might give that a try first.
We were at kitchenware store that has very knowledgeable sales people, and we were talking to one about air fryers. Her recommendation was to go with one of the high-end toaster ovens that has convection feature, and use that as your air fryer. We have a nice breville that does not have the convection oven feature, though our actual oven does have convention roasting, so we did not take her up on her recommendation.

Edited to add, from what I understand, convection and air fryer are identical or near identical technologies.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
i have read rave reviews about the Ninja Foodi. It's huge and heavy though.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 12:08 pm

Programs: *G
air fryer is a misnomer. it is definitely not a replacement or alternate to frying. it is a slightly more effective convection oven due to the chamber design.

if you had to have 1 major countertop gadget, a miniature convection oven will be the best: can reheat food, "air fry", do small batch baking and roasting, toast, etc.

if you dont have space for a mini convection oven, then an air fryer is a decent machine to relieve wastefulness of using full-size oven for small jobs
Old Jun 23, 2020, 12:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I had one that sat in the box, unused, for a year. I eventually gave it away.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by kipper
I had one that sat in the box, unused, for a year. I eventually gave it away.
was it re-giftedf?
Old Jun 23, 2020, 12:38 pm

Programs: DL Plat
Originally Posted by enviroian
i have read rave reviews about the Ninja Foodi. It's huge and heavy though.
My sister has one of these- it is indeed huge and heavy. Their family doesn't love the process of cooking, so they use it frequently for quick simple meals. Its not bad at cooking things like steaks and salmon fillets if you don't want to fire up the grill and don't want to mess up/stink up your kitchen. Steaks get decently brown and not overcooked, surprisingly. All of the relevant parts can go in the dishwasher, but will pretty much fill up the bottom shelf. They use theirs several times a week, so it sits on the countertop, but boy that thing is ugly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.