Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Air Fryer - Experiences, Questions, Recipes" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2019, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by Kgmm77

To answer my own question, I reverted back to sunflower oil instead of rapeseed and the homefries I made worked a treat. Nicely crispy.
I used sunflower oil. he only trouble is that stuff is gummy and coats everything with a film that's hard to get off.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I see America's Test Kitchen/Cook's Illustrated has an air fryer cook book. I'd buy it if I weren't so cheap.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
I see America's Test Kitchen/Cook's Illustrated has an air fryer cook book. I'd buy it if I weren't so cheap.
Amazon has quite a few titles. Most are $10-15.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Air fryers are to frying as Molly McButter is to butter.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:52 am

Originally Posted by MaxBuck
Air fryers are to frying as Molly McButter is to butter.
For a lot of things I agree, particularly anything with a batter or viscose covering.

But ever since I switched back to sunflower oil from rapeseed, my hash browns/homefries, roast potatoes & chips (UK & Irish) are pretty damn good.
Jaimito Cartero likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I bought a larger airfryer from Costco around Black Friday. I got a Gourmia 5qt model for about $60. I had been looking for reasonably priced ones for a couple of months, but didn’t think paying $150-200 was a good idea.
Just as an FYI... the 6qt model is marked down to $55 on Costco's website now.

Mrs. Swede bought a small one from Kohl's during Black Friday. It's only like a 2qt, so barely anything fits in there. Otherwise, it works very well. Maybe the 6qt one will be something like $45 this Black Friday, and then I'll upgrade.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 3:50 am

I'm looking through this forum. Can anyone recommend books / ebooks out there with recipes that are fast and easy to make? Preferably ones that can be prepared and cooked within 20 minutes.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tan Jun Bin
Preferably ones that can be prepared and cooked within 20 minutes.
Under 20 minutes isn’t really a feasible time frame for cooking with the Air Fryer.
Warm up time is going to be at least 5 minutes and cooking time is usually between 15 and 30 minutes, with over 20 minutes cooking being more common than under.
Even though the AirFryer can be set to warm up during prep work, it’s more realistic to think of food taking 30 to 40 minutes to make than under 20 minutes.
One of the few exceptions would be egg “fritatas” in individual molds or silicone cups; warm up AirFryer, beat eggs, add seasoning, fill cups with sliced vegetables, bacon, grated cheese, add seasoned beaten egg and cook for about 8 minutes until puffed up and golden. If you’re efficient, that can just be done in 20 minutes.

An AirFryer doesn’t actually make cooking much faster, it’s just kind of hotter. The warm up time is fast compared to larger ovens, so that’s the main reason you might save time with it.

What sort of thing are you thinking of that could be prepared and cooked in under 20 minutes?
Old Jul 8, 2019, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
My airfryer doesn’t need any warmup. I cook large chicken drumsticks in 15-20 minutes. Most other potatoes or veggies cook in 12 minutes or less.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 3:04 am

Hi LapLap and Jaimito,Thanks for reply.
Do you have the detailed recipes for egg “fritatas”?
Yea.. I was having difficulties in getting the right temperature and timing for the cooking.

Anyway sidenote: My wife was looking through some kindle ebook from amazon today and she told me she found one that compile all recipes that can be cooked within 20 minutes :P
Just sharing. This is the link
https://www.amazon.com/20-Minutes-Air-Fryer-Michelin-Bible-ebook/dp/B07SSQLGFL/ref=sr_1_12?keywords=air+fryer+bible&qid=1562662297&s=digital-text&sr=1-12 https://www.amazon.com/20-Minutes-Air-Fryer-Michelin-Bible-ebook/dp/B07SSQLGFL/ref=sr_1_12?keywords=air+fryer+bible&qid=1562662297&s=digital-text&sr=1-12
Old Jul 11, 2019, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tan Jun Bin
Hi LapLap and Jaimito,Thanks for reply.
Do you have the detailed recipes for egg “fritatas”?
Yea.. I was having difficulties in getting the right temperature and timing for the cooking.
Only thing to add to that recipe for an egg “frittata” to make it more detailed is that you’d cook it at 180C for around 10 minutes.

Anyway, you seem to have found the book to want.
I’m just making lunch for myself and my kid right now - marinaded chicken thighs in the AirFryer, 5 mins warm up, 25 mins to cook.
In the meantime Mange Tout “beans” and some broccoli in a pan with hot water (boil 3 minutes) and a little japonica rice from the rice cooker. One tomato sliced.
Except for marinading the chicken (2-3 minutes, last night) as well as rinsing and adding water to the rice then pressing a button an hour ago, whole thing takes 30 minutes.
Am just not interested in cutting down on more time.

For myself, the vegetables I cook the most are aubergines/egg plants. I roast these whole at 200C and they take 40 minutes (smaller ones would cook quicker but these are much more expensive in London). Roasted pineapple slices at 200C also take at least 30 minutes to caramelise as we like.
Sweet potato “fries” take about 15 minutes.
As I said, AirFryer adds convenience to my own cooking style, not time savings. YMMV.

Last edited by LapLap; Jul 11, 2019 at 5:07 am
Old Jul 13, 2019, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Mine is boxed up and ready to be offered to anyone in the building who wants it.

I can’t find any use for it that gives results even close to just cooking normally and it isn’t any faster.

So, in a condo it had been deemed not “space worthy.”
Old Jul 20, 2019, 10:41 pm

Not actual cooking but... Reheating refrigerated leftover wings from Buffalo Wild Wings comes out so much better in my air fryer than they did from my toaster oven.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 2:39 pm

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Frozen pizza/fish fingers /chicken nuggets etc come out without the soggy bottom

in fact anything frozen and supposed to be baked in a conventional oven is much better as the hot air is rapidly driven to the top and bottom.

Think of it as a fan oven on steroids.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 6:53 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by milepig
Mine is boxed up and ready to be offered to anyone in the building who wants it.

I can’t find any use for it that gives results even close to just cooking normally and it isn’t any faster.

So, in a condo it had been deemed not “space worthy.”
Thanks for confirming my suspicion. I've been considering one, but lack of condo space vs. amount of use had me in a holding pattern. Think I'll wait for now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.