Consolidated "Air Fryer - Experiences, Questions, Recipes" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Air Fryer - Experiences, Questions, Recipes" thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
A few weeks ago, the Wall Street Journal published a recipe for roast beef in the air fryer.

Will try it this weekend and report back.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 6:42 pm

I love fried food but worry that it is not good for health. Heard that air fryer could cook healthy and tasty fried food. Then I bought one also from Philips. It works well in cooking both potatoes and roast meat. Love it.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
One was under my Christmas tree, and we had a maiden voyage last weekend. The first was an experiment with a small batch of fresh-cut fries. They were declared OK but I should have left them in a bit longer. We followed the "soak in water and then toss with olive oil" technique.

Yesterday was cannoli wrappers. They came out nice and brown and crispy but lacked the "surface of the moon" cratering that you get when frying. It may have been the dough or may have been lack of oil - we coated the molds but not the outside. Next time we're going to try a spritz of oil.

I think I need to get a cookbook or translation table, unless this become nothing but a french fry machine.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I've been cooking sausages in it. Much easier than frying and avoids burning while the inside remains uncooked. Hash browns are very quick to make too, and better than fries. Also "roasted" garlic for hummus. That was made when making fries.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 4:39 am

I’ve had an Airfryer for a while, but I’m struggling to get decent chips/French fries. I’m pretty sure when I first got it they were better, but they consistently seem to have a leathery surface. The middle is good, nice and fluffy but instead of a crisp exterior it’s chewy.

I’ve tried double and triple (parboil first) cooking, without much difference. I’m wondering am I not using enough oil (I tend to only use a couple of teaspoons) or the wrong sort of oil (I’m using rapeseed).

Any help gratefully received!
Old Jan 15, 2019, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kgmm77
I’ve had an Airfryer for a while, but I’m struggling to get decent chips/French fries. I’m pretty sure when I first got it they were better, but they consistently seem to have a leathery surface. The middle is good, nice and fluffy but instead of a crisp exterior it’s chewy.

I’ve tried double and triple (parboil first) cooking, without much difference. I’m wondering am I not using enough oil (I tend to only use a couple of teaspoons) or the wrong sort of oil (I’m using rapeseed).

I agree. Mine come out very tasty but more like roasted, almost microwaved, and not really Frites.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Roasting, rather, convection roasting, is exactly what you get.

You're not going to get that deep-fried experience. Well, you could but the pieces will have to be cut a lot thinner, fries almost julienned or shoe string. You need a high surface:volume ratio to get the fried experience I notice that my hashbrowns (~4-5mm cubes or smaller) taste much more like normal hashbrowns, or fries. I also usually make a lot less so it all fits into the basket better (can't have it too full).
Kgmm77 likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by milepig
I think I need to get a cookbook or translation table, unless this become nothing but a french fry machine.
Baba ghanoush is my favourite thing to use the air fryer for.
I find it easier to take the mesh pan out as the aubergines/egg plants nestle in much better without it.
Just pierce the vegetables and cook them for at least 30 minutes at the highest setting. You can turn them over half way through if you want.
The air fryer roasts the aubergines in a much better way than a conventional oven does, they are much less watery, as well as slightly charred.

I find that chips/fries are what I least use it for. Occasionally my kid will ask for some, MrLapLap likes to boil new/salad potatoes with the skins on then slather them in olive oil, garlic and salt and roast them on the highest setting in the air fryer for ten minutes or so instead.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Roasting, rather, convection roasting, is exactly what you get.

You're not going to get that deep-fried experience. Well, you could but the pieces will have to be cut a lot thinner, fries almost julienned or shoe string. You need a high surface:volume ratio to get the fried experience I notice that my hashbrowns (~4-5mm cubes or smaller) taste much more like normal hashbrowns, or fries. I also usually make a lot less so it all fits into the basket better (can't have it too full).
So then why is a major part of the marketing that it makes great fries. What use is an “air flyer” if it doesn’t fry?
Old Jan 15, 2019, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by milepig
So then why is a major part of the marketing that it makes great fries. What use is an “air flyer” if it doesn’t fry?
Oh, it can make better fries than some real fries/chips I've had. Some say to use McCain's frozen oven fries for best results..I am too cheap and buy domestic potatoes (never U.S.).
Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
I ended up with a Breville Smart Oven Air in my kitchen recently and took a shot at making potato chips with the air fryer mode. Unfortunately one online recipe I tried seems to result in chips that are either burnt or extremely chewy. Perhaps air fryer recipes can't be used without modification with that oven?
Old Jan 17, 2019, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I bake ore ida standard fries and taters in my normal oven all the time to accompany my panini. They are okay but wish they would taste more like deep fried ones however after reading comments above it sounds like the air fryer is a complete gimmic as seen on tv joke and total waste of money.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I bought a larger airfryer from Costco around Black Friday. I got a Gourmia 5qt model for about $60. I had been looking for reasonably priced ones for a couple of months, but didn’t think paying $150-200 was a good idea.

One of the first items I did was some frozen egg rolls, probably something from Costco. I use the microwave for 98% of cooking/heating, and these come out mediocre at best. With the airfryer they were fabulous. Really crispy and flavorful.

I then did tater tots, onion rings, which were pretty good. I did frozen spicy wings, which were amazing, if you don’t overload the cooker. Almost every item needs to be in a single layer to come out good. Don’t forget to turn over, or shake the basket halfway through, so it’s evenly browned.

I did some frozen dumplings. If I soaked for a minute in hot water, then coated lightly each with a little oil. I had some Costco Korean Bulgogi dumplings which were superb. As good as any dumplings I’ve gotten in a restaurant. For years I’ve loved the Peking Ravioli’s/Cecelia’s Dumplings at PF Changs, and these were as good or better.

Other store dumplings came out good, but a step below the Bulgogi ones. I recall Trader Joe’s had really good pork dumplings.

I just started a low carb maintenance diet. I do this a few times a year for 3-6 weeks.

My wife did some roasted, frozen veggies in the air fryer yesterday, along with some boneless chicken thighs dusted with Montreal seasoning, and it was really tasty. I prefer broccoli, cauliflower, green beans and carrots, so it hit most of my checkboxes.

While the airfryer takes a bit of getting used to, I find it easy to use, and makes meals so much more interesting to eat. I like being able to set the time, and walk away. Other than flipping some items, or shaking the basket, no need to check it unless you are unsure of cooking times and temps.

I started using my sous vide cooker a year before. I love it for cooking chuck steak roasts for 32-42 hours, but you need to plan it out. I love good beef, but cringe at paying $10-15 a pound. Buying them on sale for $2.50-$3 a pound, cooking 2-3 at a time, works out so good. I use the sous vide once a month, the air fryer daily.

I think I’m going to try some pork loin steaks today.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 1:43 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
I think it's important to remember the air fryer is just a mini convection oven and nothing more. It can't be beat for frozen French fries or just about any premade frozen 'fried' food. I never got around to trying the roast beef I mentioned upthread...between a Dutch oven for braising and a roasting pan with rack for roasting, who needs an alternative. I certainly wouldn't bother using it for home made fried potatoes of any kind. That's what a deep fryer or a cast iron implement is for.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by Kgmm77

To answer my own question, I reverted back to sunflower oil instead of rapeseed and the homefries I made worked a treat. Nicely crispy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.