Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Air Fryer - Experiences, Questions, Recipes" thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2011, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by RCyyz
I don't seem to be able to find any of these wonderful devices on this side of the pond.
Downtown Bay has them. If you are uptown you can try Caynes.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RCyyz
I don't seem to be able to find any of these wonderful devices on this side of the pond.
Home outfitters carries them too. Not that I've been looking you understand. Oh and they are on amazon.ca (not that it has been added to my wish list there you understand!) Tfal Actifry rather than Phillips, same idea tho.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Does the George Forman contraption count?..

I find the grease a chore to clean after..
Try a Le Creuset cast iron skillet - so much better than a George Forman grill!
Old Nov 29, 2011, 12:38 am
uk1
Suspended
Original Poster

These are completely different from "grills" and the other items mentioned:

Philips Air Fryer.

In the UK there are a couple of brands but in my view this is the best as it DOESN'T stir. Philips are clueless about what this can be used for and sell it as a dry chip fryer. It makes better chips than I can produce using a 3 stage deep fryer process. I use Maris Piper, par boil/blanche; cool and dry; a table spoon of olive oil then around 30 minutes split 160/180 give a really dry outer and soft inside. The best chips (fries) I've tasted and very healthy. It's basically what you're alwasy been trying to achieve ......

It is currently being is use daily and the combination of having two is useful. It avoids a 30 amp circuit and every other day I find something new to use it for. I think what makes the difference is the very fast warm up and the food sits on a wire gauze which means that instead of it stting on normal metal where the underneath caramelises and then burns if it has sugars - the air completely surrounds the food. The heat can be a gentle air bather or a fierce forced air.

Several things I've been struggling to do has been easy in this. For example - very seasonal - chestnuts. 35 minutes at 160 leaves them lovely sweet and soft but unburned. Crispy chinese duck has a crispy skin without the pre skin drying.

I am however a kitchen enthusiast with a mediterranean oven for pizza etc ie beehive, a large lava stone bbq with inustrial level extraction, sous vide, wok burners etc. I wish I had a larger kitchen though ....
Old Nov 29, 2011, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by uk1
These are completely different from "grills" and the other items mentioned:

Philips Air Fryer.

In the UK there are a couple of brands but in my view this is the best as it DOESN'T stir. Philips are clueless about what this can be used for and sell it as a dry chip fryer. It makes better chips than I can produce using a 3 stage deep fryer process. I use Maris Piper, par boil/blanche; cool and dry; a table spoon of olive oil then around 30 minutes split 160/180 give a really dry outer and soft inside. The best chips (fries) I've tasted and very healthy. It's basically what you're alwasy been trying to achieve ......

It is currently being is use daily and the combination of having two is useful. It avoids a 30 amp circuit and every other day I find something new to use it for. I think what makes the difference is the very fast warm up and the food sits on a wire gauze which means that instead of it stting on normal metal where the underneath caramelises and then burns if it has sugars - the air completely surrounds the food. The heat can be a gentle air bather or a fierce forced air.

Several things I've been struggling to do has been easy in this. For example - very seasonal - chestnuts. 35 minutes at 160 leaves them lovely sweet and soft but unburned. Crispy chinese duck has a crispy skin without the pre skin drying.

I am however a kitchen enthusiast with a mediterranean oven for pizza etc ie beehive, a large lava stone bbq with inustrial level extraction, sous vide, wok burners etc. I wish I had a larger kitchen though ....

It isn't completely different than the one I mentioned:
http://www.charbroil.com/ProductInfo...key-Fryer.aspx

It is a oil-less fryer, it is NOT a grill. It can do much larger quantity than the phillips, but maybe not quite as versatile. I ran across this at the store (thanksgiving time) and read some reviews, many people like it and use it for other things as well.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 3:07 pm
uk1
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Steph3n
It isn't completely different than the one I mentioned:
http://www.charbroil.com/ProductInfo...key-Fryer.aspx

It is a oil-less fryer, it is NOT a grill. It can do much larger quantity than the phillips, but maybe not quite as versatile. I ran across this at the store (thanksgiving time) and read some reviews, many people like it and use it for other things as well.
I think the problem is this rather odd idea of cooking a turkey by deep frying it - completely unknown in the UK!
Old Nov 29, 2011, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by uk1
I think the problem is this rather odd idea of cooking a turkey by deep frying it - completely unknown in the UK!
Don't knock it until you tasted it. It was the best crispy skin with juicy meat (basted/brined). Almost like the Chinese crispy skin chicken done properly.

My extended family totaled 34 people so we fry up three 7-9kg birds every Thanksgiving(Canadian version) about 35-40 minutes each on the patio.

The traditional way is immerse the bird into hot frying oil. This new contraption will do it using high heat without the oil. It is propane powered so it needs to be used outside.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks to this thread I've looked into the airfryer and we've decided that it would fit well with our style of cooking (baked aubergines at a drop of a hat, crispy panko without oil, quick and healthy but tasty snacks for the toddler...)

What I can't find anywhere is information about how the new (and significantly more expensive) HD9225 model differs from/improves upon the older HD9220 models.

I'd love to know before making the plunge. Can anyone help with this?

(edit to add: just found out from the company - the newer version includes the baking tray, with the older mode you need to buy it separately)

Last edited by LapLap; Nov 30, 2011 at 2:49 am
Old Nov 30, 2011, 2:03 pm
uk1
Suspended
Original Poster

Glad you got your answer! Also - I'm speculating but there was a problem with the older model - it involved pulling the basket out of the unit. I saw it on youtube. It isn't a problem with my two and it may be that they improved it.

Tell us how you get on. EXPERIMENT!
Old Nov 30, 2011, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

dumplings/potstickers cooked in my air fryer are AMAZING! Way better than oil fried or steamed. I love steamed dumplings, but the texture gets old after eating one. I can make a meal of a couple dumplings now.

Crispy, but in no way oily, and so moist inside!
Old Nov 30, 2011, 10:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
dumplings/potstickers cooked in my air fryer are AMAZING! Way better than oil fried or steamed. I love steamed dumplings, but the texture gets old after eating one. I can make a meal of a couple dumplings now.

Crispy, but in no way oily, and so moist inside!
That's one thing I appreciate about the air fryers, is that the non stick surface doesn't require any additional oil to cook..

but then again, some non stick surfaces has been found to be carcinogens.. but those fryers have probably already been taken off the market..
Old Dec 1, 2011, 1:42 am
uk1
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
That's one thing I appreciate about the air fryers, is that the non stick surface doesn't require any additional oil to cook..

but then again, some non stick surfaces has been found to be carcinogens.. but those fryers have probably already been taken off the market..
I'll try again!

The item that Steph3n posted a link to is a charbroiler. This is a completely different type of appliance.

The Philips Airdryer doesn't have a non-stick bake surface although you can buy a non stick bowl for it..

It isn't a gas or infrared grill like the Turkey Fryer. The Philips sits in the kitchen not in the yard. A turkey would NOT fit in it. I don't see how the turkey fryer is designed for chips/fries whereas the Philips was primarily intended for that.

To be frank the turkey broiler seems more like a standard grill and it only makes sense to call it oil less in the US because of the tradition of deep frying turkey. To say in the UK you don't need to cook in a way we don't cook anyway makes no sense. We don't deep fry turkeys so the whole premise of the appliance makes no sense in the UK market.

To me it seems like a standard grill/oven/broiler - more a rotisserie in principle than a Philips Airfryer. In Florida I can see why cooking for long periods is not attractive but in the UK I'd be spit roasting if a chicken or if very big turkey - convection oven roasting turkey slowly in foil then open and suspect I'd end up with something fairly similar. Slow cooking turkey in the UK primarily for Christmas is a tradition.

There isn't really much interest in the UK with cooking turkey quickly or thermo grilling it.

The charbroiler is nothing like the Philips Airfryer.

Last edited by uk1; Dec 1, 2011 at 1:50 am
Old Dec 1, 2011, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uk1
I'll try again!

The item that Steph3n posted a link to is a charbroiler. This is a completely different type of appliance.

The Philips Airdryer doesn't have a non-stick bake surface although you can buy a non stick bowl for it..

It isn't a gas or infrared grill like the Turkey Fryer. The Philips sits in the kitchen not in the yard. A turkey would NOT fit in it. I don't see how the turkey fryer is designed for chips/fries whereas the Philips was primarily intended for that.

To be frank the turkey broiler seems more like a standard grill and it only makes sense to call it oil less in the US because of the tradition of deep frying turkey. To say in the UK you don't need to cook in a way we don't cook anyway makes no sense. We don't deep fry turkeys so the whole premise of the appliance makes no sense in the UK market.

To me it seems like a standard grill/oven/broiler - more a rotisserie in principle than a Philips Airfryer. In Florida I can see why cooking for long periods is not attractive but in the UK I'd be spit roasting if a chicken or if very big turkey - convection oven roasting turkey slowly in foil then open and suspect I'd end up with something fairly similar. Slow cooking turkey in the UK primarily for Christmas is a tradition.

There isn't really much interest in the UK with cooking turkey quickly or thermo grilling it.

The charbroiler is nothing like the Philips Airfryer.
I am not talking about the turkey cooker, I can't see doing dumplings in such. I was just posting the charbroil one as something to do larger possibly, as the kitchen one is a bit small for cooking for a group of 4

I have purchased an air fryer after your posts
Old Dec 1, 2011, 7:44 am
uk1
Suspended
Original Poster

I am not talking about the turkey cooker, I can't see doing dumplings in such. I was just posting the charbroil one as something to do larger possibly, as the kitchen one is a bit small for cooking for a group of 4

I have purchased an air fryer after your posts
Got it!

Report back! We need experiments!
Old Dec 1, 2011, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uk1
Got it!

Report back! We need experiments!
I tried sweet potato fries (chips) with just some sea salt.....ughhh no good. Just like eating sweet potato jerky. Maybe I cut too thin (I like them thin and crispy), but I think they actually needed a bit of oil brushed on them. I didn't read the book, just winged it

I ended up putting them in a soup to rehydrate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.