McDonald's Menu Items from Around the World

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2004, 10:58 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by worldminer:
Its been a few years but the McD's in Davao, Mindanao served ketchup made from bananas, not tomatos &lt;IMG SRC="http://www.flyertalk.com/travel/fttravel_forum/thumbsdown.gif"&gt;. In fact, if you ordered a sausage pizza at the Insular Hotel you got sliced hotdogs on a cheese-like bed that covered banana ketchup (blech). Before I went back I threw in a few packs of tomato ketchup as part of my travel kit.

</font>

Uhg. I'd forgotten about the banana ketchup in Davao. Almost impossible to find real ketchup anywhere, not just at Micky Ds. I'll be returning there in March, so thanks for the timely reminder.

Also, surprised no one has mentioned the disgusting Bulgogi Burger in Korea. (BTW, Korea is the only place I've ever been where I preferred McDs to most all the local cuisine)

Never have seen any western breakfast items in Brazil McDs. (Only two things I really miss after a long stay in Brazil are breakfast sausage and real Mexican food)
Old Jan 5, 2004, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Yeah, Cebu got the banana ketchup as well. Forgot all about that. They used to have the "kiddie krew," too, though I didn't see that after 1994 and it may have been a Cebu thing.

They also really treat napkins as precious in the Philippines.
Old Jan 5, 2004, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Although it's been noted that Hawai'i McDonalds serve local food -- there is NO way in the world that I'd ever indulge myself in a Hawai'i McDonald Plate Lunch.

The Saimin is good though, but very salty
Old Jan 5, 2004, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RustyC:
Finally, a salute to SRI LANKA, CAMBODIA, LAOS, VIETNAM, the MARSHALL ISLANDS, the Federated States of Micronesia and the Maluku and Papua provinces of Indonesia, all of which have not been invaded yet by the golden arches.

[This message has been edited by RustyC (edited Jan 04, 2004).]

You can add Libya, Syria, Nepal and Bangladesh to that list!
[This message has been edited by RustyC (edited Jan 04, 2004).]
</font>
Old Jan 5, 2004, 3:11 am

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RustyC:

SINGAPORE has the "real" Egg McMuffin but also this awful stuff called SingaPorridge on the breakfast menu.
</font>
The Singapore McD's also sells Nasi Lemak -- a malay breakfast-y item of coconut-flavoured rice, fried egg, fish/chicken and chilli sauce. In the distant past they've had the Rendang Burger, not sure how long ago. Last year I saw them marketing McSpaghetti, don't know if it's still on the menu.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
Finally, a salute to SRI LANKA, CAMBODIA, LAOS, VIETNAM, the MARSHALL ISLANDS, the Federated States of Micronesia and the Maluku and Papua provinces of Indonesia, all of which have not been invaded yet by the golden arches.
</font>
At least for Vietnam, they've already got a couple of outlets of Lotteria for the past 2-3 years, so while McDos hasn't made it (not for the lack of trying I'm sure), a Japanese burger chain has. Business always looks dismal when I walk past the outlet along the way to Cho Ben Thanh.
Old Jan 5, 2004, 6:34 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Swanhunter:

You can add Libya, Syria, Nepal and Bangladesh to that list!</font>
I do not know about today, but when I was in Côte d’Ivoire (Ivory Coast) years ago, there was no McDonald’s in Abidjan or anywhere else in the country to be found.
Old Jan 5, 2004, 8:36 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kempis:
McDonalds has been back in LLA and UME for a few years now. I believe LLA and UME are the only two places in the world where McDonalds had to close due to locals preffered something else.</font>
Yes there was a rumour of the second coming of McDonalds among the locals on my last visit to LLA. I'm suprised that McDonalds gave it another try. Max burgers are of a far higher qualty.
Old Jan 5, 2004, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Pretty lame in THAILAND: No breakfast, no quarter pounder with cheese, but ice cream cones are only about 17 cents</font>
I can remember a few years walking down the Sukhumvit Road from the hotel in Bangkok to get some cheap ... McDonalds ice cream cones and ended up buying a load of 'Ralph Lauren' shirts The ones I got are still going strong!
Old Jan 5, 2004, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA 2MM+; China Southern Gold VIP, Hilton Gold, Marriott/SPG Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador
[QUOTE]Originally posted by RustyC:
[B]The PHILIPPINES is, I believe, the only country where McDonald's isn't #1 in its category. A bruising war with Jollibee has created some real bargains. They also have the wrapped rice scoops as sides.[B][QUOTE]

Philippines & Belgium.. in Belgium McD is beaten by Quick (I don't know why though, it isn't good at all)

Old Jan 5, 2004, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
If it means anything.. nearly every country in sub-saharan Africa does not have a McDonalds with the obvious exception being South Africa. Egypt, Morocco and I believe Tunisia but not sure, have them. Brunei has one or two as well.

McDonalds exited Paraguay, Bolivia and Trinidad (link: http://answers.google.com/answers/ma...view&id=186749 ) due to lack of popularity but I'd also venture to say with the poor economic conditions in the first two countries having a lot to do with it.

For the record, I went to McDonalds in HK nearly every day, but I think I only had one lunch or dinner meal there, but breakfast a couple of times, but mostly, it was a nice place to grab a soda or a McFlurry and rest my feet and regroup. Airconditioned and VERY clean. Same with Japan... made decent places to get late night snacks.
Old Jan 5, 2004, 8:11 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
I did that in Shanghai when it McDs were the only smoke-free environment for a nice sit-down break.
Old Jan 6, 2004, 8:37 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Delta DM & 1MM, Hertz and Avis President's Circle
A few things of note:

The McDonalds in the UK now have internet cafes in the restaurant. Very cheap access (like 50p/hour).

The French McDs now have natural cut fries and the cup salads as options on the "Best of Big Menu" combo meals. They also have a Golden combo meal. It's a Big Mac, large fries, large drink and your choice of another sandwich or chicken, etc. I've never seen that in the USA. Tell me the French don't have big appetites!
Old Jan 6, 2004, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sri Lanka has had Mc'd's for awhile now.
Old May 6, 2006, 6:24 pm

Programs: QC, QF, Avis Preferred, BW Crown Club, Priority Club
Originally Posted by ffhound
I mean - have you ever seen a Mcdonalds with squat toilets?
Actually, yes. When travelling in Malaysia in 99, I don't remember the exact city or location, but it was a squat toilet.

As an update onto regional cuisine, McDonalds Australia's new website lists the local cuisine, including the new Salads Plus Menu, Deli Choice Rolls, McCafe Items, and my favourite McDonalds Burger, the McOz.

For a local item if ever there was, the McOz features Beef, Beetroot, Tomato, Lettuce, Onion, Ketchup, and Mustard. mmmmm beautiful.

Last edited by dannyr; May 6, 2006 at 6:30 pm Reason: OMG How old is this thread?
Old Oct 29, 2009, 1:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC

Has anyone tried any of these? Personally I miss the Omelet Sandwich and Potato Hamburger from Japan...

http://foodnetworkhumor.com/2009/07/...world-40-pics/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.