Community
Wiki Posts
Search

4th Tier Announcement Tomorrow (6/28)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2009, 6:14 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
<insert deity> on a pony, not the "E" word!
Old Jul 27, 2009, 6:14 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by upgrader
I'm with AndyTLe - can't really see the incentive for going for Diamond over Platinum, given the 50K difference. Especially if you have SC access already through an AMEX Platinum card. But I sure do like the carryover MQM feature as an actual "enhancement". (I've been waiting a couple of years to use that last statement. Never thought I would get the chance.)
Agreed. Frankly, at first blush it seems like my goal is to hit 124,999 without going over. That means I only need 25,001 next year to requal for Platinum---i.e., the Amex spend and one transcon.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by Burj
I just noticed that too...

O.K. so if right now (2009) you have close to 125K MQMs and do nothing, you'll be Plat next year and have NO MQMs to roll-over to 2010...so you'll start 2010 with no MQMs to help you get status for 2011

BUT

Has it been established that if you earn 125K MQMs this year (2009) that you will get Diamond status starting in Feb of 2010 and through Feb of 2011???

Originally Posted by Insert page 6 from Sky Magazine
T&C ....
Rollover benefitsmeans MQM's earned in 2009 above the member's earned Medallion threshold level will be rolled over to 2010 and will count towards 2010 Medallion status qualification.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 6:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Knowing what we know right now, the two biggest perks for DM are:

1. 125% bonus miles
2. Free Sky Club membership

(also a plus is that PM's retain the skyteam elite plus tag)

If I understand this correctly, say I attain 200,000 MQM's by the end of the year 2009 - does that mean that I start next year off as a PM?
Old Jul 27, 2009, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
But I sure do like the carryover MQM feature as an actual "enhancement".
On first glance the carryovers are a very smart move. Lots of people have stopped flying revenue tix once they hit PM (and now, once they hit DM) and then put the revenue flying into a competing program, because there was no benefit to added MQM's.

Now there is a continuing benefit (well, until you hit 250 MQM's... no benefit after that )
Old Jul 27, 2009, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Another way to think about 50K MQMs more will get your mid-tier status on any other domestic airline. I think it would be better to have elite status on two alliances.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by nypdLieu
Knowing what we know right now, the two biggest perks for DM are:

1. 125% bonus miles
2. Free Sky Club membership

(also a plus is that PM's retain the skyteam elite plus tag)

If I understand this correctly, say I attain 200,000 MQM's by the end of the year 2009 - does that mean that I start next year off as a PM?
Looks that way...

Originally Posted by OHDL1
Hmmmm...I could be wrong...but, the way I read it.....excess or "rollover" miles from 2009 will be added to your balance in spring 2010 for 2011 qualification. (the opinion expressed is not necessarily that of the management...lol) That make any sense?
Correct, per the T&C on the last page of the insert

Originally Posted by fti
Yep, another "giveback." Basically just previous platinum benefits now with lipstick and called "diamond."
I guess when you think of it yeah.. I wasn't a medallion when it was free CRC or 125% bonus but, to think of it, NW Plat had 125% and DL members used to get free CRC. Too bad it wasn't 150%...

Originally Posted by Burj
You know I was just thinking the same...if the jump to Diamond is 50K more MQMs over the Plat requirement...you think they would do better...

Would be nice for people with Amex Reserve or who flying mostly int'l (and get into lounges as a ST Elite +) to offer something in lieu of the club membership....
True, maybe they will monetize that into something else. At this point, I won't be getting a DL reserve card because of this, was going to when the CRC renewal came about next March.

I'm with AndyTLe - can't really see the incentive for going for Diamond over Platinum, given the 50K difference. Especially if you have SC access already through an AMEX Platinum card. But I sure do like the carryover MQM feature as an actual "enhancement". (I've been waiting a couple of years to use that last statement. Never thought I would get the chance.)
I am disappointed that the upgrade window isn't 7 days out versus 5.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by nypdLieu
That's what it sounds like to me...

And if you earn 250,000 MQMs/yr, you can take 2010 off from flying Delta and still keep status.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by Erasmus
Agreed. Frankly, at first blush it seems like my goal is to hit 124,999 without going over. That means I only need 25,001 next year to requal for Platinum---i.e., the Amex spend and one transcon.
I'm thinking the same thing....maybe those "gift MQM" were a trick after all!

Also...Thanks WBurcham for clearing that up...
Old Jul 27, 2009, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Am I incorrect that questions so far still to be answered are (including without limitation):

1. What are the SWU benefits (i.e. how many and what fares will they be applicable to)?

2. What are the companion upgrade benefits (i.e. will it be legacy DL style with non-status companions needing to be on higher than LUT fares and then just before flight, or NW style with non-status companions upgrading at the same time the PE upgrades on all flights even on deep discount coach).

Safe Travels.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by AndyTLe
Another way to think about 50K MQMs more will get your mid-tier status on any other domestic airline. I think it would be better to have elite status on two alliances.
That was my immediate thought - especially since 50,000 miles get you Star Gold or oneworld lounge access.

Interesting that DL is keeping E+ at Platinum - once CO is in Star, US, CO, UA and AA will all give international lounge access to mid-tier (50,000 miles/yr) elites - DL will be the only one with the higher level.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GTITAN
Am I incorrect that questions so far still to be answered are (including without limitation):

1. What are the SWU benefits (i.e. how many and what fares will they be applicable to)?

2. What are the companion upgrade benefits (i.e. will it be legacy DL style with non-status companions needing to be on higher than LUT fares and then just before flight, or NW style with non-status companions upgrading at the same time the PE upgrades on all flights even on deep discount coach).
Question 1 is still up the air and hopefully will have some guidance given to us tomorrow.

Question 2, it sounds like at least companions would need to be on L/U/T fares - it's my understanding that NW's already gone over to that way. No word on when upgrades would clear though.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by mersk862
And if you earn 250,000 MQMs/yr, you can take 2010 off from flying Delta and still keep status.
Or spend 2010 burning all those miles, without any redemption fees it will be easier to keep tweaking your award itins.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 6:27 pm

I think my decision to go for Diamond will be based on how these Systemwide Upgrades will work. By far, a less restrictive Systemwide Upgrade (a la United) would the single most valuable perk IMO.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 6:28 pm

Since the current threshold rewards for 125K MQM is gifting Gold status...I'm assuming it is the same for becoming Diamond?

BTW how does that work with the switchover....

At 100K miles in 2009 you get threshold rewards, and then at 125K MQMS in 2009 you get more threshold rewards AND in 2010 you become Diamond...but does that mean you won't get any of the Diamond reward/benefits until you REQUALIFY for Diamond in 2010?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.