Community
Wiki Posts
Search

4th Tier Announcement Tomorrow (6/28)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2009, 1:22 pm

A slightly different (but related question)....

Just why ARE they waiting to make any announcements?

Is it an issue of they haven't decided all the details yet? If they HAVE made their decisions, what is to be gained from waiting to annouce it, even if un-officially though certain channels (like the FlyerTalk)?

Seriously I'm confused because this isn't a technical, technology, regulatory, political problem...

What I mean is that something like improving the PMU process actually entails changing infrastructure/backend etc...so it makes sense to me that they say "We know it is broken, we want to change it, we plan to change it, but we don't know when or how just yet."

BUT adding a new tier to SkyMiles is not like that, they just have to make the decision, get management to sign off, and annouce it NOW and then they have several MONTHS to prepare the computers systems, etc for the 2010 switch over/change...

So why the delay in annoucing it? What am I missing?
Old Jul 27, 2009, 1:26 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, SPG Platinum, HH Gold VIP, Air Tran Elite
Two Nations Seperated by a Common Language

Originally Posted by Evan!
What is meant in the title of this thread ".... w/o July 27th" ?

AFAIK, "w/o" is short for "without" (e.g. "with or w/o your permission").

Am I not "up" on my abbreviations?
I think the intent of "w/o" was "week of". My U.K. colleagues often use the abbreviation and without fail, someone over here always asks what it means.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 1:32 pm
HRS

Programs: DL Plat. 2V Guest Rewards
Please tell us soon

I'm one who wants to make 4th level this year. It would be helpful to know soon so I can make plans/reservations.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 1:59 pm

Programs: DL:PM - Reserve, 2MM, FC, RW; HH: SILVER MR: SILVER
Originally Posted by Burj
A slightly different (but related question)....

Just why ARE they waiting to make any announcements?

So why the delay in annoucing it? What am I missing?
I love this thread... this speculation at it's best, and we FT'ers love to speculate. I haven't seen this much excitement since my kids were little waiting for Christmas morning.

I believe that there are several reasons that I think have caused them to wait:

1. There was a lot of work that went on behind the scenes in reviewing the new program. Costs, trade-offs, ability to impact future revenue and incent future behavoir, etc. As it has been said before, this program has visibility and buy-off at the highest level at Delta.

2. I think the decisions have now been made, but there is a timing element. One, timing of Delta's Q2 financial results, and the appropriate waiting period from that. That was last week... so...

3. Competitive advantage. Why let your competitors know exactly when you are planning to do this?

I think we will hear the details of the new program very soon. I think the OP was on the right track. It will be sooner rather than later. stay tuned

Where is best place to find out details first? I think you are already here.

If I was a betting man, I would bet... hmmm...

(Anyone know what the current betting line is? Who is taking the wagers on this one?)
Old Jul 27, 2009, 2:31 pm

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold, SPG Plat
I wouldn't be surprised if they actually postpone the announcement once again. After all, the longer the wait the better they can decide where to make the cut between Platinum and "ber Elite" or whatever the 4th tier will be called, becuase they can determine what % of the overall SM members will most likey reach what MQM level and then decide what % of all members thay actually want to be within the 4th tier.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 2:35 pm

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by wideawakeinatl
I think the intent of "w/o" was "week of". My U.K. colleagues often use the abbreviation and without fail, someone over here always asks what it means.
Thanks. I had never used it for "week of" but I will now.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by atldlff
I love this thread... this speculation at it's best, and we FT'ers love to speculate. I haven't seen this much excitement since my kids were little waiting for Christmas morning.
Well for me the excitement and speculation stem from this:

Originally Posted by HRS
I'm one who wants to make 4th level this year. It would be helpful to know soon so I can make plans/reservations.
If they had announced that you could NOT qualify for the fourth tier in 2010 based on 2009 travel...I wouldn't be so antsy...

BUT if I can qualify in 2009 it would help to know sooner rather than later, what I would need to qualify....

ANYWAYS...I'm content to wait a few more weeks, but if becomes mid to late August and nothing is announced my fall/winter plans will probably be to inflexible to make a go of it...
Old Jul 27, 2009, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
As an NW PE, this is actually pretty big for me as it will go a long way to deciding who my primary carrier is going to be. I already have EXP on AA locked up, and I have a ton of travel coming up. Would be more than willing to allocate that travel to DL-NW if the sky perks are correct. Otherwise, I'll just allocate it to AA.

Safe Travels
Old Jul 27, 2009, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, Delta PM, *wood Ambassador Plat, Marriott Self-Imposed Exile
4th Tier Announcement Tomorrow (6/28)

According to my EP rep... it's gonna be tomorrow... she was giddy with excitement and wouldn't spill a single bean...

i mean 7/28.... just got home from vacation

Last edited by boston aa flyer; Jul 27, 2009 at 3:11 pm
Old Jul 27, 2009, 3:01 pm

Programs: DL
Is there a specific time tomorrow???
Old Jul 27, 2009, 3:02 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by tjisnumbaone
Is there a specific time tomorrow???
3:47am Eastern...remember to set your alarm clocks!!!

sorry, couldn't resist....
Old Jul 27, 2009, 3:04 pm

Looks like the announcement is tomorrow:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ow-6-28-a.html
Old Jul 27, 2009, 3:06 pm

Programs: Delta 1MM & DM, SPG Platinum
Looking forward to it. If it is 100k I'll probably hit it pretty easily. 125k+ would be much more difficult for me, but I may consider another long haul Int'l trip if the perks look attractive enough.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by boston aa flyer
According to my EP rep... it's gonna be tomorrow... she was giddy with excitement and wouldn't spill a single bean...
6/28?
Old Jul 27, 2009, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
3:47am Eastern...remember to set your alarm clocks!!!

sorry, couldn't resist....
Sure...

I am guessing it will be 100k.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.