Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2008 Elite Upgrades on Sky Team Airlines?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2007, 4:49 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriot Platinum
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Not my experience at all.

I find this particularly implausible:
In three different airports, FLL, EWR and PHX and via phone CO agents have complained about DL's lack of granting certain benefits to CO elites so CO is doing the same to DL elites... but this does not happen to NW elite which I believe you are... they are not even paying any attention to the whole Skyteam thing... CO is bent on DL in that they say DL would not agree to reciprocal upgrades, marking bags as priority and permitting increased baggage allowances. So, as a DL elite, I am repeatedly told that I get little or no benefits on CO because DL will not give reciprocal treatment to CO elites. Now, I still get access to elite seating (except exit rows which is reserved for CO Plats) and pre-boarding which I like. I just don't like being told by CO reps that it is all DL's fault that there is not perfect reciprocity... like I have anything to do with that... it just makes me want to fly DL and make sure I get all my benefits... I think CO should just give it to DL elites and capture the business.
Old Dec 19, 2007, 8:07 pm

Programs: NW Platinum, back to DL base awaiting the eventual elevation to DL PM
Originally Posted by GoCanes
Now, I still get access to elite seating (except exit rows which is reserved for CO Plats)
And NW plats.
Old Dec 19, 2007, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
CO agents have complained about DL's lack of granting certain benefits to CO elites so CO is doing the same to DL elites
So what you're reporting is not your actual experience but the whine of GA's & TA's.

That doesn't interest me.

they say DL would not agree to reciprocal upgrades
Not a Skyteam benefit.

marking bags as priority
Possibly an issue depending on the circumstances, but not limited to DL vs. CO. Not all check-in personnel are properly trained in Elite+ benefits.

permitting increased baggage allowances.
Not a Skyteam benefit.

So, as a DL elite, I am repeatedly told that I get little or no benefits on CO because DL will not give reciprocal treatment to CO elites. .
The whine of agents is largely irrelevent. 2 of the 3 items you cited are not Skyteam benefits. If you have an issue with unprofessional comments on the part of particular CO personnel, I'd suggest you communicate them to CO.

The closer cooperation (including upgrades) between CO & NW is an arrangement that predates Skyteam.

Last edited by MikeMpls; Dec 19, 2007 at 10:39 pm
Old Dec 19, 2007, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
I just don't like being told by CO reps that it is all DL's fault that there is not perfect reciprocity... like I have anything to do with that... it just makes me want to fly DL and make sure I get all my benefits... I think CO should just give it to DL elites and capture the business.

Okay, you've got three airlines. CO, DL, NW. And you want elite upgrade reciprocity between all three. Preferably automated. A lot of us want that.

Now, when you go book a ticket online, two of those airlines let you put in your frequent flyer number on any of their partners right at the time of booking, so they know you're elite. And those two airlines have demonstrated their willingness to work together by integrating their information systems just enough to automate elite upgrades across the two of them, even though they otherwise compete.

I know you might not like it when people blame the third airline for failing to do things like accepting partner FF#s at booking and recognizing partner elites, and for apparently being either unwilling or unable to handle the other necessary IS integration necessary to make three-way reciprocal automated elite upgrades a reality... but honestly, I can see where they're coming from. I haven't seen anything indicating that CO or NW would refuse to play ball if DL wanted to make it happen... but I'm not that much of an insider, so maybe someone else here will prove me wrong?
Old Dec 19, 2007, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
FWIW recently published in a memo: "Reciprocal upgrades with CO and NW is a future enhancement to the SkyMile Medallion Program and has not yet been implemented."
Old Dec 19, 2007, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Originally Posted by zsmith2
FWIW recently published in a memo: "Reciprocal upgrades with CO and NW is a future enhancement to the SkyMile Medallion Program and has not yet been implemented."
...but will be? Right? Please?
Old Dec 19, 2007, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
ooops .. please delete
Old Dec 20, 2007, 12:37 am

Programs: CO PE, DL PM
I would love for this to happen - I do a lot of travel from SNA/LAX to FLL/PBI. The non-stop that Delta runs LAX-FLL would be perfect for me. Using my elite status to score an occasional upgrade without having to deal with another FF program would make my life much easier (and Delta will end up making a good chunk of money off me).

One of my big disappointments is that nobody runs a non-stop from SNA-FLL. I guess we can't always get what we want
Old Dec 20, 2007, 6:02 am

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
I guess DL is going to hell in a hand basket. I hate the thought of this happening. Combine this with the Sky Choice thing and I just am not excited about flying DL any more.
Old Dec 20, 2007, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by jfulcher
I guess DL is going to hell in a hand basket. I hate the thought of this happening. Combine this with the Sky Choice thing and I just am not excited about flying DL any more.
I'm not sure I understand why this bothers you... As a DL PM there's not gonna be people jumping in front of you for upgrades.
Old Dec 20, 2007, 6:44 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriot Platinum
If reciprocal upgrades did come about what would the order be:
  1. DL PM
  2. DL GM
  3. DL FO
  4. CO / NW PL
  5. CO / NW GL
  6. CO / NW SI
  7. Sellable Upgrades

Does this make sense??? I guess the CO / NW tiebreaker would be type of fare?
Old Dec 20, 2007, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If reciprocal upgrades did come about what would the order be:
  1. DL PM
  2. DL GM
  3. DL FO
  4. CO / NW PL
  5. CO / NW GL
  6. CO / NW SI
  7. Sellable Upgrades

Does this make sense??? I guess the CO / NW tiebreaker would be type of fare?
All Plats, then all Golds, then all Silvers. It's not worth the investment in IT manpower & GA training to do it any other way. Also NW/CO are unlikely to scrap their current system to appease those who think their Silvers should be upgraded before any Plats.
Old Dec 20, 2007, 7:13 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by mtparadis
I'm not sure I understand why this bothers you... As a DL PM there's not gonna be people jumping in front of you for upgrades.
I was wondering the same thing.

There are conceivable circumstances under a changed structure where a DL PM may be passed up. For example, if the upgrade protocol has a lower fare DL Plat passed up by a NW/CO Plat on a higher fare .... or if the upgrade protocol has a DL Gold on a higher fare pass up a DL Plat on a lower fare.

More likely things would remain as they are with NW/CO where all Plats first and then Golds and then Silvers.
Old Dec 20, 2007, 9:02 am

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by jfulcher
You've got to be kidding! This would almost make up for the lack of SkyWhatever. For me, I want two things out of a frequent flyer program: premium international travel and upgrades. DL's taken a huge hit on the former over the last couple of years, but reciprocal upgrades would make SkyTeam extremely attractive.
Old Dec 20, 2007, 9:15 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
As a DL PM you probably don't have much to worry about... but as a DL GM I may. I've been loyal to DL and don't think a NW or CO Platinum should get an upgrade over me... selfish, maybe... but DL should be loyal to those who are loyal to DL first. It seems like the FOs are the ones this will hurt most if the program is ignored and only the level is considered.

Last edited by IsleOfMan; Dec 20, 2007 at 9:21 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.