Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2008 Elite Upgrades on Sky Team Airlines?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2007, 8:26 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum/1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Ahhh! One of the few people who actually understands the dynamics of how this would work.
Well, in the "big" picture, it may work to the beancounters' satisfaction. But to the DL Silver or Gold who loses that last remaining gate upgrade on a transcon flight to a NW/CO plat, it will stink to high heaven.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA/DL/NW/HiltonHonors Gold
But how would they know who they lost the upgrade to? They would just think it was a higher DL medallion or someone who requested it earlier.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 8:38 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by AndyTLe
I was just thinking, would this be one of the "customer givebacks" that Jeff mentioned back in November to make up for the "customer takeaway" of the SkyChice changes?
How do you give back something that wasn't taken away?
Old Dec 16, 2007, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by Smaug
Well, in the "big" picture, it may work to the beancounters' satisfaction. But to the DL Silver or Gold who loses that last remaining gate upgrade on a transcon flight to a NW/CO plat, it will stink to high heaven.
Assuming that DL Silvers or Golds never travel or NW or CO -- not a realistic assumption. I started flying on DL as a NW Silver ...

The net effect will be zero.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 8:43 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Smaug
.... and it would smell quite sweet to the NW/CO Plats who credited more DL flights to their frequent flyer accounts of choice than DL Golds and Silvers credited to their DL accounts.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by GUWonder
How do you give back something that wasn't taken away?
What I meant by that was in RealDLInsider's November update, he commented about the uproar over the new changes with SkyChoice awards. He said that there would be some "giveback",

This (SkyChoice changes)was a giveback to our revenue management organization to help protect the most valuable and profitable flights where we can fill the aircraft will full-fare paying customers, and in exchange, I believe got something bigger. The problem right now is that the customer takeaway is public, but the customer giveback is not.
I was just thinking if this might be a "giveback," as a way to appease in some way those that denounced the new SkyChoice changes.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 10:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by El Boocho
I picked up a copy last week. Here is what it says on page 58 of the December/January issue:
Perhaps that's one reason Business Traveler readers named SkyTeam the "Best Airline Alliance." SkyTeam keeps frequent fliers happy by easing lounge access, guaranteeing seating for full-fare coach passengers, and - starting in 2008 - enabling elite members to upgrade on any SkyTeam airline. "For heavy business travelers, it's all about status recognition," said David Bishko, managing director of alliances for Delta.
I hope it is true, but will believe it when I see it.
I wouldn't confuse 'enabling elite members to upgrade on any SkyTeam airline' with complimentary (space available) upgrades as DL elites get on DL domestic and CO/NW get on CO/NW domestic--a complimentary upgrade is what many elites like ....my uninformed guess is that if this is done, they'll be 'pricey' (in $ or miles) and more than than most will be willing to pay. If I sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Star has something like this...not all Star members participate though--UA participated for a short time and then it disappeared for MP members. I don't remember all the details but the upgrades are only available on the full fare (or darn close) economy--and they're pricey.

Last edited by Renard; Dec 16, 2007 at 10:50 pm
Old Dec 17, 2007, 7:06 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM; SPG PLAT/Ambassador
Has this been confirmed? Seems suspect for such uncertainty with such an awfully big enhancement.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 7:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
I think this more has to do with the linkup with Air France on TATL routes. I won't consider using the Air France codeshares until I can use my miles or PMUs to occasionally upgrade. At least on Delta metal I have a chance of that happening.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 8:18 am

I think SkyTeam could do a great service to itself by allowing customers to use (mileage) upgrades on other carriers. I know personally I'd be more likely to fly KE, AF, etc. if this were the case.

Of course, I'd really love to be able to redeem my miles for international F, but somehow I don't see that coming back soon.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Originally Posted by Renard
I wouldn't confuse 'enabling elite members to upgrade on any SkyTeam airline' with complimentary (space available) upgrades as DL elites get on DL domestic and CO/NW get on CO/NW domestic--a complimentary upgrade is what many elites like ....my uninformed guess is that if this is done, they'll be 'pricey' (in $ or miles) and more than than most will be willing to pay. If I sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
Agreed wholeheartedly. If it happens, it'll be something like the DL domestic boarding-time announcement of "If your boarding pass says you are in fare class.... blah blah blah (stopping just short of whatever fare class I'm in, dangit!) we do have seats up front available for $price."

And I'll further venture that it doesn't say "on all flights." NW does date-of-departure cash upgrades to empty seats on flights to Hawaii, but I don't think they do it on flights to Japan. It's possible to 'enable elite members to upgrade on any SkyTeam airline' but only on short-haul domestic/intra-Europe kinds of flights.

Last edited by DanTravels; Dec 18, 2007 at 4:29 am
Old Dec 17, 2007, 3:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
1. I'm willing to bet the AF/DL arrangement will go no farther than allowing reciprocal mileage upgrade redemption for Elites in SkyMiles or FlyingBlue.

2. Reciprocal upgrades between DL and CO make less sense, from a commercial standpoint, with the increasing growth of DL's JFK hub. The carriers will contine to spout any number of excuses, but the bottom line is that CO does not want a Platinum Elite flying in the First Class cabin of a Delta flight.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 3:33 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriot Platinum
I am not so sure this is happening... as a Skyteam Elite, I get treated like "crap" on CO... they give no over 50lb baggage allowance to Skyteam Elite... they tell us we cannot use security lines (although I do anyway) and even go as far as to say we cannot use Elite Access check-in. And everytime I have flown they say "bahhh, Delta is not nice to our elites so we are giving the same back to them." The whole system of Skyteam Elite is a joke IMHO. Outside of early boarding and elite Y seating, there is no Skyteam Elite benefits. If they can't agree on baggage allowances and access to elite lines, how in the world will these "partners" agree on upgrades??
Old Dec 18, 2007, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Not my experience at all.

Originally Posted by GoCanes
I am not so sure this is happening... as a Skyteam Elite, I get treated like "crap" on CO... they give no over 50lb baggage allowance to Skyteam Elite... they tell us we cannot use security lines (although I do anyway) and even go as far as to say we cannot use Elite Access check-in. And everytime I have flown they say "bahhh, Delta is not nice to our elites so we are giving the same back to them." The whole system of Skyteam Elite is a joke IMHO. Outside of early boarding and elite Y seating, there is no Skyteam Elite benefits. If they can't agree on baggage allowances and access to elite lines, how in the world will these "partners" agree on upgrades??
I find this particularly implausible:

Originally Posted by GoCanes
And everytime I have flown they say "bahhh, Delta is not nice to our elites so we are giving the same back to them."
Old Dec 19, 2007, 4:35 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by FreqTrav27
Oops..I think I read it in Business Traveler magazine.the latest issue. If anyone can get their hands on a copy of that, I don't have the copy anymore. Sorry for the confusion, but I can't remember which one of the two I read it in. I know it was one of the two for a fact!
I read it there as well. I may have the copy at home. If I do, I'll post the reference.

When I read it, I just chalked it up to another instance of stellar journalism and assumed the magazine had mixed up some information.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.