Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2008 Elite Upgrades on Sky Team Airlines?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2007, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum/SkyTeam Elite Plus
No it wasn't a joke. I had picked up a copy of Business Traveler in the CRC before I boarded the flight. So on the plane I was reading SKy and Business Traveler.
Old Dec 15, 2007, 9:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum/SkyTeam Elite Plus
I now remember for sure it was in Business Traveler. They had a section with the "Best of" awards. Delta was voted Best Frequent Flyer Program, and when it was talking about Delta-it had a sentence that Skyteam partner airlines in 2008 would offer elite upgrades.
Old Dec 15, 2007, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Originally Posted by FreqTrav27
I now remember for sure it was in Business Traveler. They had a section with the "Best of" awards. Delta was voted Best Frequent Flyer Program, and when it was talking about Delta-it had a sentence that Skyteam partner airlines in 2008 would offer elite upgrades.
Judging a magazine by its cover, it looks like that'd be in the December '07 USA edition of BT. Anybody got it in dead-tree form? If not, we may be able to read it in the online archives once the January '08 one is out...
Old Dec 16, 2007, 11:58 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
I picked an issue up on Thursday in the MIA crown room (what a sad excuse for a lounge) but left it on the plane. I'll try to pick one up in ATL tomorrow (though they had none last tuesday in A-Center) or at JFK on Tuesday.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 1:36 pm

I also remember reading this

I specificallly remember reading this as well - and I am pretty that I read it in Delta's In-Flight Magazine this month (Dec) in the upfront "Letter From..." What I remember being claimed was for Delta and specifically (and only) Air France working on or finalizing plans where upgrades would become seemless between there two airlines in the upcoming year. Nothing about this being for all SkyTeam partners, but just Delta and AF. And it would be better if all SKyTeam would do this, this first step helps. And I think could lead the way for it becoming more wide spread.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 1:56 pm

I picked up a copy last week. Here is what it says on page 58 of the December/January issue:
Perhaps that's one reason Business Traveler readers named SkyTeam the "Best Airline Alliance." SkyTeam keeps frequent fliers happy by easing lounge access, guaranteeing seating for full-fare coach passengers, and - starting in 2008 - enabling elite members to upgrade on any SkyTeam airline. "For heavy business travelers, it's all about status recognition," said David Bishko, managing director of alliances for Delta.
I hope it is true, but will believe it when I see it.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by El Boocho
starting in 2008 - enabling elite members to upgrade on any SkyTeam airline. "For heavy business travelers, it's all about status recognition," said David Bishko, managing director of alliances for Delta.
Let's get the "status recognition" first since some ST airlines still have problems getting that right then bring on the upgrades.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 6:00 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by El Boocho
I picked up a copy last week. Here is what it says on page 58 of the December/January issue:
Perhaps that's one reason Business Traveler readers named SkyTeam the "Best Airline Alliance." SkyTeam keeps frequent fliers happy by easing lounge access, guaranteeing seating for full-fare coach passengers, and - starting in 2008 - enabling elite members to upgrade on any SkyTeam airline. "For heavy business travelers, it's all about status recognition," said David Bishko, managing director of alliances for Delta.
I hope it is true, but will believe it when I see it.
Same boat here. However, going by the Star Alliance equivalent, the price (in miles) and applicable to alliance-wide upgrades make them anything but cheap compared to an outright award redemption.

I'd rather see NW/CO/DL reciprocal domestic upgrades first.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 6:46 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
DL/CO/NW Domestic Upgrades would be enough for me... would really open up my options, especially into markets like Tulsa. Domestic upgrade consideration for Hawaii would be even better.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 7:03 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum/1MM, Hilton Diamond
My big concern if that this unlimited upgrade reciprocity were implemented is that a NW plat would be higher on the list than a DL gold. For me to embrace the system, a DL silver on a T fare must have higher priority than a NW/CO plat on a Y fare for DL-metal flights.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 7:16 pm

I agree that on DL metal, ALL DL elites should have precedence over NW/CO elites. What gets tricky is with codeshares... say a flight on NW Metal w/ a DL codeshare. Once all the NW elites are upgraded, do DL elites get the next shot, or are DL and CO elites on equal footing even though it is also operating as a DL flight?

It seems like it should go Elites on the airline who's metal is flown are always first, then codeshare partners sorted by elite level then fare class, then non-codeshare elite partners sorted by elite level then fare class.

Originally Posted by Smaug
My big concern if that this unlimited upgrade reciprocity were implemented is that a NW plat would be higher on the list than a DL gold. For me to embrace the system, a DL silver on a T fare must have higher priority than a NW/CO plat on a Y fare for DL-metal flights.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 7:22 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Smaug
There has been some discussion about reciprocal upgrades being expanded -- on the DL, NW and CO boards -- that might be of interest.

As the airlines are in the business of attracting higher fare passengers, my guess is that the beancounters would say a Y-fare CO Plat is more important to DL than a DL Silver on a L/U/T-fare, especially when the CO Plat may actually be qualifying for CO Plat on the basis of DL flights too.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 7:23 pm

Whenever this comes up, people complain about Silvers losing to other airline's Golds/Plats. It's not like other airlines have an inordinate number of elites that are going to jump ship over to Delta. If any airline has too many elites, it's DL. Between the three airlines, there's the same number of first class seats and same number of elites the day before and day after reciprocal upgrades are implemented. Net effect = 0, or maybe more upgrades (fewer empty seats).
Old Dec 16, 2007, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
I was just thinking, would this be one of the "customer givebacks" that Jeff mentioned back in November to make up for the "customer takeaway" of the SkyChice changes?
Old Dec 16, 2007, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by mtparadis
Whenever this comes up, people complain about Silvers losing to other airline's Golds/Plats. It's not like other airlines have an inordinate number of elites that are going to jump ship over to Delta. If any airline has too many elites, it's DL. Between the three airlines, there's the same number of first class seats and same number of elites the day before and day after reciprocal upgrades are implemented. Net effect = 0, or maybe more upgrades (fewer empty seats).
Ahhh! One of the few people who actually understands the dynamics of how this would work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.