Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Suntrust to offer Debit card. Mile for every $1

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Suntrust to offer Debit card. Mile for every $1

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2009, 2:46 am

Originally Posted by Dilemma
The SunTrust SkyMiles(R) Check Cards are issued by SunTrust Banks, Inc., and the Cards are available in AL, AR, FL, GA, MD, MS, NC, SC, TN, WV, VA and DC.
Well, boo to this. Haven't they heard of Direct Deposit and online banking? I live in WI. Why couldn't/wouldn't I have my paycheck deposited into a SunTrust account and use that for 99% of my transactions to earn miles? I would still keep an account with my local, small-town bank that I really do love...for stuff that is simply better in-person, like check cashing, coin counting, etc?

That is why BofA, WF or US Bank would have been better. (Hell, there are WF and US B branches in WI in decent numbers). Oh well.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 3:02 am

Originally Posted by Brewfangrb
Well, boo to this. Haven't they heard of Direct Deposit and online banking? I live in WI. Why couldn't/wouldn't I have my paycheck deposited into a SunTrust account and use that for 99% of my transactions to earn miles?
I read that too, and my jaw hit the floor... but then, I also read the following:

SunTrust SkyMiles® Check Cards are available with any SunTrust personal or business checking account.
...though I admittedly haven't fully tried, there doesn't appear to be anything preventing out-of-state types from opening an online account. There's a drop-down menu on the application page that appears to include all of the states that an applicant could live in. So maybe it was just a marketing slip-up on their point. Then there's also this:

SunTrust is a strong banking partner that matches our customer base in the Southeast and Mid-Atlantic.
Perhaps SunTrust is just a regional partner, and someone else will be selected for other areas of the nation?

I have trouble believing that places like New York (hub), Ohio (hub), Michigan (hub), Louisiana (birthplace and total dominance), Texas & California (huge SkyMiles membership bases) would all be excluded from something like this..... but Arkansas and W.Virginia not?

Can't be.
I mean, wouldn't the whole point of doing something like this (from the bank's perspective) be to use the allure of SkyMiles to gain additional customers/spending that they otherwise wouldn't be garnering?

Last edited by ConcordeBoy; Jun 16, 2009 at 3:11 am
Old Jun 16, 2009, 4:09 am

Programs: DL/UA/AA/BA
Perhaps SM is partnering with additional banks - CO does this with both Chase and Key Bank, right? Otherwise it would be a thoroughly bone-headed move to ignore the fee revenue of customers in the Northeast, Midwest and West (e.g., catchment base of all hubs outside ATL).
Old Jun 16, 2009, 4:13 am

Originally Posted by rasmcasm
Otherwise it would be a thoroughly bone-headed move to ignore the fee revenue of customers in the Northeast, Midwest and West (e.g., catchment base of all hubs outside ATL).
As prior stated, agree 100%

Perhaps this is just a trial run? Heck, SunTrust doesn't even have the South all that well covered, and that's DeltaLandUSA.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 7:09 am
Suspended

Well, boo to this. Haven't they heard of Direct Deposit and online banking? I live in WI. Why couldn't/wouldn't I have my paycheck deposited into a SunTrust account and use that for 99% of my transactions to earn miles? I would still keep an account with my local, small-town bank that I really do love...for stuff that is simply better in-person, like check cashing, coin counting, etc?

That is why BofA, WF or US Bank would have been better. (Hell, there are WF and US B branches in WI in decent numbers). Oh well.
Originally Posted by rasmcasm
Perhaps SM is partnering with additional banks - CO does this with both Chase and Key Bank, right? Otherwise it would be a thoroughly bone-headed move to ignore the fee revenue of customers in the Northeast, Midwest and West (e.g., catchment base of all hubs outside ATL).
All indications are that SM will announce other regional banking partners in the very near future. No one should get worked up yet...
Old Jun 16, 2009, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by sxf24
All indications
...such as?
Old Jun 17, 2009, 1:07 am

Originally Posted by sxf24
All indications are that SM will announce other regional banking partners in the very near future. No one should get worked up yet...
This is a good idea. Even "national" banks are not really "national". I think there are BofA's in WI, for example, but I think they are mostly in the MKE metro. So, a US Bank or Wells Fargo option would be nice.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 7:43 am

Programs: DL GM/MM
This is a good idea. Even "national" banks are not really "national". I think there are BofA's in WI, for example, but I think they are mostly in the MKE metro. So, a US Bank or Wells Fargo option would be nice.
In the US, "national" is not a geographic term. Rather, it means the bank's charter is from the US Treasury, conferred by the federal government. Even if they operate only in a couple of states.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 3:43 pm

Programs: DL Diamond in 2010, Kimpton Inner Circle
Suntrust it is!!!!

ATLANTA, June 15, 2009 - SunTrust Banks, Inc., (NYSE: STI) and Delta Air Lines (NYSE: DAL) today announced consumers and businesses will soon be able to earn Delta miles on all signature-based purchases made with a new SunTrust SkyMiles Check Card, launching June 22. This will be the first time Delta has offered mileage-earning opportunities through a check card, and is the first co-branded check card relationship for SunTrust.
The SunTrust SkyMiles Check Cards meet a growing demand among Delta and SunTrust clients for a check card that earns airline miles. It also reinforces SunTrust’s pledge to help clients with responsible financial management through its “Live Solid. Bank Solid” campaign.
“Today, more than ever, consumers are looking for ways to better control their finances and make smart purchasing decisions,” said Hugh Gallagher, SunTrust’s senior vice president for deposit product management. “The SunTrust SkyMiles Check Card encourages consumers and businesses alike to spend wisely while earning Delta miles. We’re very pleased to partner with Delta on this great product.”
For every purchase made with an authorized signature, cardholders earn miles that can be redeemed for Award Travel to nearly 400 destinations Delta and its partner airlines serve across the world. There is no mileage-earning cap with a SunTrust SkyMiles Check Card so cardholders can earn unlimited miles. Now in its 28th year, SkyMiles is one of the longest-running and most successful loyalty programs in the travel industry.
“Our SkyMiles members have told us they want a mileage-earning check card, particularly in these challenging economic times,” said Jeff Robertson, Delta’s vice president of loyalty programs. “SunTrust is a strong banking partner that matches our customer base in the Southeast and Mid-Atlantic. These new cards provide our members with additional options and value while strengthening our overall portfolio of card offerings.”
Starting at just $20, the SunTrust SkyMiles Check Card features the lowest annual fees of any competing airline check card rewards program, and offers the convenience and security of a SunTrust Visa Check Card.
Three cards will be available – two for consumers and one for small- to medium-sized businesses:
SkyMiles Classic Check Card - consumers earn one mile for every $2 purchased and 2,500 bonus miles for the first signature purchase. The annual Card fee is $20.
SkyMiles Platinum Check Card - consumers earn one mile for every $1 purchased, 5,000 bonus miles for the first signature purchase and a complimentary Delta Sky Club Day Pass valued at $50. The annual Card fee is $55.
SkyMiles Business Check Card - businesses earn one mile for every $1 purchased, 5,000 bonus miles for the first signature purchase and a complimentary Delta Sky Club Day Pass valued at $50. The annual Card fee is $55.
Beginning June 22, consumers can open SunTrust checking accounts with the new SkyMiles Check Card. Existing SunTrust consumer and business checking clients can also upgrade their existing check cards to the SkyMiles Check Card. For more information on the SunTrust SkyMiles Check Cards, consumers may call 1-877-SUNTRUST to speak with a representative or visit a local SunTrust branch.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 2:08 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
DL is interested in having more debit card deals than just this debit card deal with Suntrust.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 6:33 pm

I'm not sure I understand the meaning of "signature purchase". Does this mean if I buy gas and pay at the pump I get no miles?
Old Jun 20, 2009, 7:01 pm

Programs: NW Plat; DL; UA; CO; AA; AXP Plat; SPG Gold; HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by dave7250
I'm not sure I understand the meaning of "signature purchase". Does this mean if I buy gas and pay at the pump I get no miles?
Well, a better definition would be "purchases processed through the VISA network" as opposed to PIN based purchases (processed through the ATM network).

Paying at the pump, so long as you aren't entering a PIN number on your check card would be authorized through the VISA network, and would presumably earn miles.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA1k, DL
Originally Posted by dave7250
As long as you choose "credit" you will receive miles.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
“The SunTrust SkyMiles Check Card encourages consumers and businesses alike to spend wisely while earning Delta miles. We’re very pleased to partner with Delta on this great product.”

How exactly does it to that?

That aside, I'll wait and see if the signing bonus goes up before I bite. If UA can offer 15k and CO 21k (well, the banks do), Suntrust can do better. Also I'm curious to see if this will be churnable.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 6:03 am

Programs: AA GM, DL DM, DSC
Originally Posted by tkey75
“The SunTrust SkyMiles Check Card encourages consumers and businesses alike to spend wisely while earning Delta miles. We’re very pleased to partner with Delta on this great product.”

How exactly does it to that?
Standard banking marketing terminology (propaganda). Perhaps because it is a check card rather than a credit card? Many people with financial problems ended there partly because they spent money they didn't have using a credit card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.