Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Suntrust to offer Debit card. Mile for every $1

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Suntrust to offer Debit card. Mile for every $1

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2009, 7:11 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by motytrah
This is a debit card product, not a credit card product. It implies people would want to make deposits to fund accounts. While a lot of stuff is ACH these days, there's still a need to have Branch or at least ATM depository access for most people. SunTrust will have neither in most of DLs hub and focus cities.
You got it and that's the way it will be until SunTrust is combined with another financial industry player that makes a wider retail banking network.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 7:14 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
This is a debit card product, not a credit card product. It implies people would want to make deposits to fund accounts. While a lot of stuff is ACH these days, there's still a need to have Branch or at least ATM depository access for most people. SunTrust will have neither in most of DLs hub and focus cities.
Yea this will be a dealbreaker for me. I opened a US Bank account for the 5k bonus miles and the only way for me to fund my account was to "bank by mail" which takes over a week to process per deposit. And obviously you can't send cash in the mail..very annoying. I'm not about to open a Suntrust debit card in NYC and pay crazy ATM fees. Totally not worth it IMO
Old Jun 9, 2009, 7:35 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by pitbrian
Yea this will be a dealbreaker for me. I opened a US Bank account for the 5k bonus miles and the only way for me to fund my account was to "bank by mail" which takes over a week to process per deposit. And obviously you can't send cash in the mail..very annoying. I'm not about to open a Suntrust debit card in NYC and pay crazy ATM fees. Totally not worth it IMO
US Bank or Suntrust, same kind of issues indeed as things stand now.

When living in New York but working out of DC and using Suntrust retail banking while around the DC area or in the Southeast, I used to too often have to fly back down to DC -- often on the DL shuttle -- just to get some banking things done for amounts of money that varied from large sums to rather trivial sums; and then I'd have to return to NYC on the fist shuttle flight back after done with whatever banking matter required my presence.
There are still banking functions that on a timely basis have no substitute with a stop in a local branch. And most customers generally aren't willing to deal as persistently with a retail bank branch network that is far removed from the area where they would find it convenient, especially not on a weekend.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 10:57 am

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion
This is an interesting move from Delta. With all the emphasis they've been putting on New York, as well as integrating the Northwest hubs into the system, they go with a bank that has zero presence in any of these places? I can see wanting to support another Atlanta business, but this shows no matter how big they grow it's always Atlanta first and other places second.

I share the sentiments of others in that I would never bank somewhere that doesn't have branch offices local to me. It would have been nice to have a debit card to supplement the Amex at places that don't take it, but this isn't going to cut it. I see that Comerica is still featuring the WorldPerks debit card on their website, so my only hope is that will carry over to Delta but I'm not betting on it. I just hope we see more banks added so that Delta has an offering that truly covers their network.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 11:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mcjava
It was a simple question.

Upon further analysis of your statement, I wonder what was the purpose of even including the word Pacific? While technically the statement is true, most likely many people who read it understood it to mean US Bank has no presence in WA, OR, CA, the states that are along the Pacific, when in reality US Bank does.
Don't bother pushing the issue. You'll never get a straight answer, or even an acknowledgment the statement was poorly worded.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 11:37 am

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
The issue with a US Bank deal would be that they are in many of the same states Sun Trust is. Once you have a small regional like Suntrust you run into issues with larger banks like a US Bank, Wells Fargo, etc. But there are certainly no shortage of regional banks. For classic NW hubs you could do a TCF, maybe an M&I. There's certainly a number of options on the east and west coast to boot.
I don't know of a US Bank in the ATL area at all. They have poor coverage at the very least if they are here. They would be a poor selection for those in ATL.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 11:39 am

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
My bank (USAA) has deposit at home. I never have to set foot into a branch. Scan the check and deposit it online.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Good point, but apparently what's more important is these Southern boys/companies looking out for one another. I thought the "new" Delta was going to finally shake that Southern mentality? SunTrust, seriously?
Old Jun 9, 2009, 1:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by jfulcher
I don't know of a US Bank in the ATL area at all. They have poor coverage at the very least if they are here. They would be a poor selection for those in ATL.
And that is the problem with pretty much any bank. There will always be pockets that don't have coverage. Even Chase and Wells Fargo, for example, have no coverage in much of New England. Citi is probably the closest thing to a truly national bank, but they are so in bed with AA that I question whether they were ever an option.

Certainly, US Bank, which seems to lack a presence in NYC, DTW, and ATL isn't the answer.

I would be mildly surprised if the SunTrust deal were exclusive and wouldn't give up hope that DL might have more debit card providers coming. CO, for example, has two debit card providers.

Originally Posted by jfulcher
My bank (USAA) has deposit at home. I never have to set foot into a branch. Scan the check and deposit it online.
Yep. Easiest banking relationship I have ever had.

Beyond that, I think many people can get by quite well without ever having to deposit a check. I'm lucky if I have one check per month to deposit. I'm sure that some deposit a lot more checks than that, but with direct deposit from your employer, a debit card, and online bill-pay, I think many people are probably more attached the idea of "needing" a local branch than they should be. Heck, I've been preaching the virtues of USAA bank to the 'rents for years and they still insist on "needing" a local branch - not sure what for, though.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 1:57 pm

Programs: skymiles silver, spg gold, aa gold
They serve:

Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Maryland, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, and Washington, DC.

I don't understand why they wouldn't choose a bank like Wells Fargo which has branches in almost every state. According to the Wikipedia SunTrust doesn't even manage their card portfolio, they have a subsidiary of First National of Nebraska manage it. FNN also does cards for some of the foreign Airlines such as JAL.
Being that Delta is based out of Atlanta and Wells Fargo doesn't have a single branch here it just wouldnt make sense.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by theArsonist
Being that Delta is based out of Atlanta and Wells Fargo doesn't have a single branch here it just wouldnt make sense.
You realize Wells Fargo owns Wachovia now?
Old Jun 9, 2009, 3:21 pm
Suspended

You realize Wells Fargo owns Wachovia now?
This relationship would clearly offer the best national coverage; however, I would imagine WFB would not be receptive (or they declined if solicited). They're not real big into loyalty cards.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 3:26 pm

It'd be great if they could partner with something like Wings (the credit union that airline employees can join). They have locations in nearly all the major markets.

But the Wells Fargo + Wachovia option would be a good alternative. Sticking with SunTrust is rather stupid. Great for people in the south, but Delta is no longer a southern airline and they need to act like it.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by sxf24
This relationship would clearly offer the best national coverage; however, I would imagine WFB would not be receptive (or they declined if solicited). They're not real big into loyalty cards.
But they are into fees. Which should make them a perfect match for DL.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 4:01 pm

I already have a SunTrust debit card that I use often. Does this mean that I need to open another account?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.