Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Suntrust to offer Debit card. Mile for every $1

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Suntrust to offer Debit card. Mile for every $1

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2009, 4:11 pm

Programs: Priority Club Plat./Ambassador; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Kempinski Platinum
Miles

I guess I should patiently await the official announcement with all its details, but I don't understand how this debit card would be appealing at all. At 1 point per mile, it's the same as the DL AmEx card -- except without the float. Apart from any sign-up bonus, is there a scheme I'm missing? I assume only signature-based purchases will count for mileage accrual, so I couldn't churn money orders or other cash equivalents.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by jabez
I already have a SunTrust debit card that I use often. Does this mean that I need to open another account?
I don't think so. Usually they just want you to pay the annual fee.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 4:30 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by jabez
I already have a SunTrust debit card that I use often. Does this mean that I need to open another account?
It would not be necessary to open another bank account if already also having one at the affiliated bank, but I would be prepared for a fee structure in order to earn miles with debit card spending and would expect that to come with a new card. [The new card may have a different card number, but it would be linked to the same bank account still.]
Old Jun 9, 2009, 5:16 pm

Programs: NW Silver, CO Silver,SPG Gold, USMint Presidential, Chase/BA 100k, Airtran Wendy's cups
I got more info. SunTrust only has exclusive rights to market the debit card in there territory except WV AR AL. Other banks may be announce in the future.

That being said it sounds like like Delta is working with other banks as well.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 5:20 pm

Programs: DL DM/3MM, Lifetime DL SkyClub, BA Gold, Amex Centurion, AVIS Chairman's, Hertz Platinum
That's great news! So someone will be able to offer it to those of us who live in the rest of the country!!! Hopefully it will be US Bank (doubtful) or Bank of America!
Old Jun 10, 2009, 9:54 am

I wonder how much the foreign transaction fee will be...
Old Jun 10, 2009, 12:53 pm

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by sxf24
This relationship would clearly offer the best national coverage; however, I would imagine WFB would not be receptive (or they declined if solicited). They're not real big into loyalty cards.
BOFA would offer the best national coverage IMHO.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 7:58 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by HLS2002
I guess I should patiently await the official announcement with all its details, but I don't understand how this debit card would be appealing at all. At 1 point per mile, it's the same as the DL AmEx card -- except without the float. Apart from any sign-up bonus, is there a scheme I'm missing? I assume only signature-based purchases will count for mileage accrual, so I couldn't churn money orders or other cash equivalents.
Some people don't want or can't get credit cards for various reasons.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 8:58 pm

Programs: NW Silver, CO Silver,SPG Gold, USMint Presidential, Chase/BA 100k, Airtran Wendy's cups
Originally Posted by HLS2002
im testing out a broker that allow you to use a credit card to fund the account. I'll wait a month then request a check. i'll let everyone know if it works after I milk it it for a while. don't try guessing because its a real off name company.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 5:36 am

Programs: DL PM, DL 1MM, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
BofA Alaska Airlines Debit Card

Originally Posted by nwa330
... Does anyone know if other banks offer 1 mile for each $1 on a debit card?
It is 1:2. All AS purchases are 1:1.

Also notice it has an annual fee of $30
Old Jun 13, 2009, 10:22 pm

Programs: Hertz #1 Club President's Circle; National Executive Elite; Marriott Titanium; AA Executive Plat
It is definitely SunTrust. Here is a preview of what is to come:

Old Jun 14, 2009, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by rynbmw
It is definitely SunTrust. Here is a preview of what is to come
Where's that advertisement from?
Couldn't find anything about it on SunTrust's site, and didn't see it under DL's listing of card partners...
Old Jun 14, 2009, 7:44 pm

Programs: Hertz #1 Club President's Circle; National Executive Elite; Marriott Titanium; AA Executive Plat
a relative of mine works for suntrust and i saw this on their intranet
Old Jun 15, 2009, 12:12 am

Originally Posted by rynbmw
a relative of mine works for suntrust and i saw this on their intranet
IC. Any idea when they're planning a launch?

I wonder also what, if any, manner of outreach they may be considering for those outside of the states within which they have branches. No doubt the appeal of finally having something other than an AmEx offer SkyMiles, is going to be a nationwide thing.... they have to have taken that into consideration, no?
Old Jun 15, 2009, 10:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM/SC/SkyBonus, UA (xCO), AS, AA, US, FL, Hilton Gold, Best Western Gold, Choice, Wyndham
From the Delta Newsroom:

SunTrust and Delta to Introduce New SkyMiles Check Cards

Available beginning June 22!

Three cards will be available – two for consumers and one for small- to medium-sized businesses:
  • SkyMiles Classic Check Card - consumers earn one mile for every $2 purchased and 2,500 bonus miles for the first signature purchase. The annual Card fee is $20.
  • SkyMiles Platinum Check Card - consumers earn one mile for every $1 purchased, 5,000 bonus miles for the first signature purchase and a complimentary Delta Sky Club Day Pass valued at $50. The annual Card fee is $55.
  • SkyMiles Business Check Card - businesses earn one mile for every $1 purchased, 5,000 bonus miles for the first signature purchase and a complimentary Delta Sky Club Day Pass valued at $50. The annual Card fee is $55.
Update:
The SunTrust SkyMiles(R) Check Cards are issued by SunTrust Banks, Inc., and the Cards are available in AL, AR, FL, GA, MD, MS, NC, SC, TN, WV, VA and DC.. Offers and benefits subject to change without notice. Other restrictions may apply.

Last edited by Dilemma; Jun 15, 2009 at 10:20 pm Reason: Added Additional Terms

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.