Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Suntrust to offer Debit card. Mile for every $1

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2009, 12:59 pm

Seems interesting. Does anyone knows the details of it?
Old Mar 31, 2009, 3:04 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM
I have no problems, of course, with Delta offering a debit card, even though I won't touch one myself. I just hope they also provide real credit Visa and/or MC cards.
Old Mar 31, 2009, 5:45 pm

Programs: SkyMiles
Originally Posted by DL201*******
FYI, for those not in ATL...

major banks here include:

Wachovia (now Wells Fargo)
SunTrust
Bank of America
Washington Mutual (now Chase)
The CO debit card that Chase offers is not a bad deal (for non-elites) since the checked baggage fees are waived if you have the debit card. https://www.chase.com/ccp/index.jsp?...ental_airlines. It would be nice if Delta could do something similar, but I suppose that could be too much wishful thinking.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 7:34 pm

Ah nice!
Have the CO Chase debit card, and it's been GREAT! Been wishing for a lonnnnng time that DL comes out with a Visa/MC, don't really care whether it's Debit or Credit.

Originally Posted by Pharaoh
a debit card, even though I won't touch one myself. I just hope they also provide real credit Visa and/or MC cards.
Very unusual. From what I've observed, most people seem to feel the exact opposite, particularly in the current economy.

Just out of curiosity, mind telling why you feel that way? Be very interested to know.
Old Apr 25, 2009, 10:24 pm

this got me thinking...

for a while now i've enjoyed the benefit of using my usbank NWA visa(s) to effectively earn skymiles. what are the options now for earning miles that can become delta miles with a visa or mastercard?

this debit card we're discussing doesn't come til 2010, so what's a cc-only guy to do til then? dare i look into a hotel related card or is there some easier answer ?
Old Apr 29, 2009, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by decibel08
this got me thinking...
for a while now i've enjoyed the benefit of using my usbank NWA visa(s) to effectively earn skymiles. what are the options now for earning miles that can become delta miles with a visa or mastercard?

this debit card we're discussing doesn't come til 2010, so what's a cc-only guy to do til then? dare i look into a hotel related card or is there some easier answer ?
As you may have surmised, there doesn't appear to be any direct way to get SkyMiles off of a non-AmEx going forward... any such thing would probably require some manner of transfer medium between unrelated loyalty programs (e.g., points.com or the like, which has been a gigantic waste of time for me unfortunately).

*sigh*
I too am among the many who wish I could be rid of AmEx and still earn credit/debit SkyMiles through Visa, MC, or some other semi-decent form of card service.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 2:24 pm

Programs: dl silver, southwest a-list
Possible June Announcement

Just heard some chatter that one of the largest Atlanta banks will be launching a Delta SkyMiles Debit card later this month. A public annoucement and new marketing campaign seems probable a little later this month.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 2:53 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, US, FlyingBlue
I really hope Chase won the bidding for this product.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 3:20 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Didn't a (now) HSBC-acquired bank issue Delta-affiliated debit cards in Latin America that earned SkyMiles? SkyMiles Banistmo credit/debit cards?
Old Jun 8, 2009, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM/SC/SkyBonus, UA (xCO), AS, AA, US, FL, Hilton Gold, Best Western Gold, Choice, Wyndham
Originally Posted by Quip
I really hope Chase won the bidding for this product.
I'm hoping for Wachovia/Wells Fargo... As, Chase does not have any branches less than 60 miles from my area. Also, Wells Fargo doesn't have an airline co-branded debit card available yet.

US-based Banks w/ US-based Legacy Airline Debit Cards:
Chase - CO/UA
Citi - AA
B of A - AS/US
US Bank - xNW
Old Jun 8, 2009, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM/SC/SkyBonus, UA (xCO), AS, AA, US, FL, Hilton Gold, Best Western Gold, Choice, Wyndham
Actually, I just found this while searching:

American Express Press Release

Delta plans to continue its longstanding partnership with U.S. Bank through their existing corporate relationships including merchant acquiring, an expanded debit card program and corporate lending.
Although, I have to wonder if DL's recent lawsuit against US Bank may have soured the deal.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 5:10 pm

Programs: DL DM/3MM, Lifetime DL SkyClub, BA Gold, Amex Centurion, AVIS Chairman's, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by Dilemma
Although, I have to wonder if DL's recent lawsuit against US Bank may have soured the deal.
Also, I'm sure there could be more than one bank that has the Skymiles Debit card. U.S. Bank could offer it as well as someone else. I'm pretty sure that U.S. Bank and Comerica (a DTW bank I think) both offered the NW Worldperks Visa Debit cards...
Old Jun 8, 2009, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by webatl
Just heard some chatter that one of the largest Atlanta banks will be launching a Delta SkyMiles Debit card later this month. A public annoucement and new marketing campaign seems probable a little later this month.
It's Sun Trust.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 7:35 pm

Programs: NW Silver, CO Silver,SPG Gold, USMint Presidential, Chase/BA 100k, Airtran Wendy's cups

Suntrust will offer the new Delta debit card. They will offer 3 different cards. 1st will be standard debit card which will offer 1 mile for every $2 spent. The other card will be a platinum card with a $55 annual fee which will earn 1 mile for every $1 spent. The other will be a business debit card. Being able to earn 1 mile for every dollar is just more proof why Delta is devaluing the program. I can't wait to see how other banks respond to this. Does anyone know if other banks offer 1 mile for each $1 on a debit card?

Last edited by nwa330; Jun 8, 2009 at 8:01 pm
Old Jun 8, 2009, 7:41 pm

Programs: Used to have a bunch of shiny metallic cards. That was one life ago.
Originally Posted by nwa330
Its official.
Source? Link?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.