Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive IFE/In-Seat Power Thread (for both DL and NW)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive IFE/In-Seat Power Thread (for both DL and NW)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2010, 12:31 pm

Programs: DL DM; Hertz Gold PC
Originally Posted by Prof_Dr_G
I should also not that I often fly Singapore Airlines - EWR/SIN and LAX/SIN, and I never have the problem. The same is true with ANA when flying IAD/NRT. I have a converter for UA, and I have had no problems there, but I try to avoid them whenever possible because they are so disrespectful. It is only with Delta that I have had problems.
The problem is in power spike (more above 100W) at the moment of connection the adapter to the socket outlet wich shut off the in-seat power. It's a known problem with some HP, Dell, and Lenovo laptop AC power adapters. New planes (SQ, many others) manage it somehow, but not the old 747.

Therefore it actually doesn't matter what is real power consumption of your laptop - it's the adaptor issue.

You can check your adapter even without laptop by connecting to any low-power (like 80 or 100W) in-car AC adapter. I believe that in-car adapter will just shut down after connection.

The best solution is to change the adapter (may be less powerful as kerbo suggested, or even OEM). Another, but more complicated way, is to modify the adapter (force it to make kind of slow start).
Old Nov 25, 2010, 2:19 pm

Thank You for All of the Thoughtful Comments

I appreciate all the help for everyone, and I wish you a Happy Thanksgiving. I will now search for a low watt brick. We will see if that works.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 3:01 pm

Programs: All statuses lapsed; now I'm just a free-agent, and loving it!
I need watts!

I just finished a JFK>NRT trip on 744 N-675NW. I've got an Acer 4736G, and the power brick on it is rated at 65 watts output (no input wattage listed.) It bombed on this 13:30 flight It would light the green light on the brick and run the computer for a minute or so, then the green light got dimmer and the computer switched over to battery. (My battery is old and only runs the computer a few minutes on it's own.) I even tried removing the battery, but it was no help; it just cut off the PC immediately when the seat power stopped.

I tried some other seats, and they were the same.

Caught a 777LR fron NRT to SIN and was fine on that flight.

I understand these outlets have a wattage limit, but I have to believe I'm already on the low end of what a notebook uses. I hope this is addressed when the 744 refurb takes place.

Last edited by Sam Drucker; Dec 12, 2010 at 3:07 pm
Old Dec 15, 2010, 9:27 pm

Update on Seat Power on Old NW Flights

I flew from DTW to NRT this week. I followed the recommendations of many who replied to this thread. As a reminder, I have a Lenovo X61. I located a 65w brick, and as a first experiment, I tried my normal power settings with the lower watt brick. That did did not work. So, I set the power settings as low as possible, and tried again, and that did not work either. I removed the battery, and that did work. So, I required a 65w brick, most conservative power settings, and no battery installed. The screen was so dim that I could barely read it. When I left Tokyo, I took a Singapore Air 777 on down to SIN, and everything worked fine. Delta would be much better if they would remove the standard two prong USA jacks and install the round jack with pins (whatever that is called). Then, I could user the same converter that I use on those old planes from UA.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 12:30 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
Wow... great information on this thread.

Any updated news on the A320 and possible AVOD or power plugs? I know they go together, but I'm more concerned with power.

I was on an almost 5 hour flight from CVG to SEA. Unfortunately I had used up about 2/3 of my first battery with an earlier CRJ flight and didn't have enough juice left for the whole thing.

Maybe I need to just carry like 3 batteries....
Old Dec 28, 2010, 3:35 am

More on DL Seat Power on Old 747s

On my return flight from NRT to MSP, I experimented again with power on my Lenovo X61. I
1. Removed the battery, and
2. Set the power consumption as low as it would go.
The computer worked fine for about two hours. Then, it shut down. I assume that it was some type of power spike.

I few the with Delta four times this year on DTW-NRT or MSP-NRT, and I was only on time once. The Ramada at NRT is not a good option when I am missing meetings in Singapore. I have decided to fly Singapore Airlines in the future, so the seat power problem will not be my problem for future flights.

I appreciate everyones' help in trying to solve this problem.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 4:44 am

Programs: Skyteam, One World
IFE Movie Line up

Does anyone know how often Delta changes their Movie line up (every month on the 1st etc.)?
Old Jan 31, 2011, 8:20 am

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion
Overhead movies are changed on the first of the month. The AVOD is changed between the 25th and 5th of the month, but movies typically stay on the system for 2-3 months (or sometimes even longer for "classic" releases) so you may still see a lot of the same choices in a new month.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 5:52 am
rwd

CDG-SLC

Hello all

I have been trying to work out which aircraft I will be flying on in three weeks from CDG to SLC - I know its a 767 but which type will it be and does it have personal TVs rather than overhead? Thanks.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 6:51 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold
Do all 737-800s have in-seat power in First Class?

I thought that it was only the 73H (with PTV/AVOD) that had power, but I am currently on a 73Y (without PTV/AVOD) that also has power up front.

Do any of the 738s have power in the back?
Old Feb 25, 2011, 8:24 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by AirlineDeregulation
Do all 737-800s have in-seat power in First Class?

I thought that it was only the 73H (with PTV/AVOD) that had power, but I am currently on a 73Y (without PTV/AVOD) that also has power up front.

Do any of the 738s have power in the back?
All the 800s I've been on (73H or 738) have had power in F, whether they had AVOD or not. As for coach, I don't think there's any power at any Y seat on a 73H/738.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 6:20 pm

Programs: DL DM & 1MM
AVOD/power advertised but not equipped

While i understand plane swaps may happen from time to time, i have found delta advertising tickets for sale that have power and AVOD, but the plane doesnt have AVOD, and had no chance for AVOD because the incoming plane already departed, and it didnt have AVOD. Every time its advertised but not equipped, i check, and sure enough delta is selling tickets advertising AVOD/power.

While AVOD/power is not guaranteed, can delta advertise and sell tickets with absolutely no intention of delivering? If so, then whats the point of even showing these plane options on the itinerary?
Old Feb 5, 2012, 6:26 pm

Programs: AA, EXP. DL, DM 1MM. HHonors, Diamond. Hertz, PC. National, EE.
That is one of my peeves too. Especially when I buy a premium ticket and choose my flights based on equipment.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 6:31 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, CX GO, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by dEagleS
While i understand plane swaps may happen from time to time, i have found delta advertising tickets for sale that have power and AVOD, but the plane doesnt have AVOD, and had no chance for AVOD because the incoming plane already departed, and it didnt have AVOD. Every time its advertised but not equipped, i check, and sure enough delta is selling tickets advertising AVOD/power.

While AVOD/power is not guaranteed, can delta advertise and sell tickets with absolutely no intention of delivering? If so, then whats the point of even showing these plane options on the itinerary?

Although I tend to agree, sometimes its in fine print like only the first 10 rows of economy, but, here on FT, be prepared to get flamed for complaining about this. Willing to bet you will see several comments here stating that they are only contracted to get you from point A to point B, anything else is pure luxury.

Again, I agree with you whole heartedly.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 6:41 pm

Programs: DL FO
Email delta... Someone there will be disheartened to hear about it and will throw you some miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.