Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive IFE/In-Seat Power Thread (for both DL and NW)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive IFE/In-Seat Power Thread (for both DL and NW)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2010, 10:56 am

Programs: DL PM, National Exec, HH Dia, Sixt Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by raehl311
There should be a note that the 110V power on the NW A330's is usually non-functional. It can work especially if it's an overnight flight and people are sleeping, but if everyone fires up their AVOD, you can kiss your chances of in-seat power goodbye.
I can confirm this as well. Granted was running a 90W power supply but found AC power intermittent throughout the flight (more off than on). Don't count on it.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by infradig
I can confirm this as well. Granted was running a 90W power supply but found AC power intermittent throughout the flight (more off than on). Don't count on it.
I can triple confirm this. I did find a small way around it. My laptop also uses a 90W power supply which seems to trip the system.

I would run my laptop on the battery until the battery almost died and then plug it in to let it charge. I couldn't use the laptop while it was charging (even moving the cursor would cause the charge to stop) but I would leave Windows up & running.

It's not ideal but you can work with it.

-RM
Old Apr 5, 2010, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by infradig
On the other hand, my old laptop drawing less than 90W never had a problem on the A333s, except when they forgot to turn the power on. I usually sit in 10B. I haven't used my new laptop in anything but C yet, so I can't say how it will fare.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Can anyone describe the "feel" of a coach AC power port, since I'm assuming that they're under the seats and not really viewable? Are they similar to F AC power ports - slightly textured plastic, rounded blade inserts so you don't accidentally zap your finger?

My experience on F is that you definitely have to "feel" for the outlet - you really can't see it when sitting in the seat - and I assume it's the same for coach outlets.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Can anyone describe the "feel" of a coach AC power port, since I'm assuming that they're under the seats and not really viewable? Are they similar to F AC power ports - slightly textured plastic, rounded blade inserts so you don't accidentally zap your finger?

My experience on F is that you definitely have to "feel" for the outlet - you really can't see it when sitting in the seat - and I assume it's the same for coach outlets.
Usually in between the seats, if it is dark you'll see a little light shining. Not different from the F power ports. Feel around and you'll find it.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 11:39 am

Programs: UA, DL
Hey guys, new to the forum, but I have been lurking for a while.

I will be flying Delta NRT-GEG via LAX/SFO/SEA/or PDX on May 11 and back to NRT on Aug 8th. Im a college student, so Ill be flying coach (unless I am ultra lucky and get bumped).
On the PDX and SFO flights they are a 764, does anyone know if the upgraded 767s or 747s (LAX) with AVOD will be back in the fleet by either my in or out flight? I think going on a 9+ hour flight w/ overhead entertainment will be pretty rough. All of the itineraries that I have found are giving me a 764/744 on either my in or out flight and a A333 to SEA for the oposite direction.
I normally fly with United in a 777 on this route, but its been a few years since the last time I did and the price has raised considerably. So this will be my first trip ever with Delta (never did the NWA out of Narita either).
Old Apr 18, 2010, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by domyoji
Hey guys, new to the forum, but I have been lurking for a while.

I will be flying Delta NRT-GEG via LAX/SFO/SEA/or PDX on May 11 and back to NRT on Aug 8th. Im a college student, so Ill be flying coach (unless I am ultra lucky and get bumped).
On the PDX and SFO flights they are a 764, does anyone know if the upgraded 767s or 747s (LAX) with AVOD will be back in the fleet by either my in or out flight? I think going on a 9+ hour flight w/ overhead entertainment will be pretty rough. All of the itineraries that I have found are giving me a 764/744 on either my in or out flight and a A333 to SEA for the oposite direction.
I normally fly with United in a 777 on this route, but its been a few years since the last time I did and the price has raised considerably. So this will be my first trip ever with Delta (never did the NWA out of Narita either).
Welcome to FT. The 767s that DL flies transpacific are the 767-300ERs not the 767-400s. Different aircraft and different in-flight entertainment. With that said. Of the choices, I'd go A330. I think it is the best option over the 763 or 744 The seat is just a bit wider (even half an inch makes a difference) and there is AVOD throughout the plane which should make the trip a bit easier.

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Del..._767-300_I.php
Old Apr 18, 2010, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA, DL
Originally Posted by AndyTLe
Welcome to FT. The 767s that DL flies transpacific are the 767-300ERs not the 767-400s. Different aircraft and different in-flight entertainment. With that said. Of the choices, I'd go A330. I think it is the best option over the 763 or 744 The seat is just a bit wider (even half an inch makes a difference) and there is AVOD throughout the plane which should make the trip a bit easier.

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Del..._767-300_I.php
Thank you for the fast response. And *derp* I should have known it was a 763, I got the 744 and 763 mixed up.
Im going to call some other agents tomorrow and see if they can find me a trip that doesnt send me through PDX on one of the ways.
Old May 3, 2010, 9:37 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles PM, Starwood SPG Platinum, Hilton HH Honors, UA MP Silver, EK Skywards Silver
DL 757's

How many of the 757s have been refitted with AVOD in all classes? I know the NW birds have not, but I am traveling between MCO and ATL this Friday on board DL1418 and then DL2869 coming back...seatguru indicates AVOD on these a/c. However, last time I traveled to SLC the DL timetable and seatguru indicated a 73H...yet that sure wasn't the case.

Now, I know some will say "oh well it's a 1 hour 15 min flight to ATL from MCO, why would you care much about having AVOD?"...this is a preference and just makes the trip a little more entertaining in the case I am not carrying an iPod with me or something.
Old May 3, 2010, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The 737s are difficult as you can't differentiate by the seat map. For the 757s, it is quite easy as the seat map is an indicator of which configuration you have (as always a last minute equipment substition can occur).

DL1418 & 2869 will not have AVOD as it is this configuration
http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Del..._757-200_B.php
Old May 3, 2010, 10:34 am

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by AndyTLe
The 737s are difficult as you can't differentiate by the seat map. For the 757s, it is quite easy as the seat map is an indicator of which configuration you have (as always a last minute equipment substition can occur).

DL1418 & 2869 will not have AVOD as it is this configuration
http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Del..._757-200_B.php
I don't expect the short ATL to Florida 757s to have AVOD -- typically they don't when I fly ATL-MCO or ATL-TPA. They're just the standard 757s with drop-down IFE in the ceiling.

On occasion I may get an ex-Song bird, but I normally find the ex-Song birds (w/live TV) used on ATL-west coast routes. Sometimes I'll get a normal 757, but as a general rule, they're typically ex-Song birds IME.
Old May 3, 2010, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by SDF_Traveler
I don't expect the short ATL to Florida 757s to have AVOD -- typically they don't when I fly ATL-MCO or ATL-TPA. They're just the standard 757s with drop-down IFE in the ceiling.

On occasion I may get an ex-Song bird, but I normally find the ex-Song birds (w/live TV) used on ATL-west coast routes. Sometimes I'll get a normal 757, but as a general rule, they're typically ex-Song birds IME.
For whatever reason it seems AVOD 757 on the MCO to ATL run come in waves. Few years ago it was quite common, then disappeared. Lately I've started getting them again (though this weekend's up and back through ATL was just the old TV tubes in the cabin).
Old May 3, 2010, 11:46 am

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Sorry, but Delta should NEVER have PTV/AVOD 757s on this route... not while ATL-SAN is still getting 757s without PTV/AVOD. 4+ hour flights should have them, sorry.
Old May 3, 2010, 11:54 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond / Delta Plat
I'm still looking for the ex-NWA A320s with AVOD.... i've got that MEM-MBJ flight coming up and am not sure what to expect.
Old May 3, 2010, 1:04 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles PM, Starwood SPG Platinum, Hilton HH Honors, UA MP Silver, EK Skywards Silver
Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
Sorry, but Delta should NEVER have PTV/AVOD 757s on this route... not while ATL-SAN is still getting 757s without PTV/AVOD. 4+ hour flights should have them, sorry.
I can say the same about on 73H's...going from MCO to JFK, you'll have AVOD. But going on a longer flight, from MCO to SLC...you don't have them. Or it's a hit-or-miss apparently. So what's the solution? It will be much better when the entire 757 fleet has AVOD available for all classes. Then no one can really complain...about IFE that is (although some extremely picky individuals will not be satisfied with quality of IFE and/or other items related to IFE).

But I most certainly hope my trip has AVOD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.