Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive IFE/In-Seat Power Thread (for both DL and NW)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive IFE/In-Seat Power Thread (for both DL and NW)

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2010, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by mtsublueraider
I'm still looking for the ex-NWA A320s with AVOD.... i've got that MEM-MBJ flight coming up and am not sure what to expect.
I don't think there are any. They have been fitted with GOGO though.
Old May 3, 2010, 1:49 pm

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
Originally Posted by mikelevitt
Some are. Just took an A-320 to PHX and it had the dropdowns.
Old May 3, 2010, 1:57 pm

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion
Originally Posted by tvnwz
Some are. Just took an A-320 to PHX and it had the dropdowns.
None of the A320s have video monitors of any kind. You must have been on either a non-AVOD 737-800 or 757-300.
Old May 3, 2010, 4:31 pm

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by seminole_kev
For whatever reason it seems AVOD 757 on the MCO to ATL run come in waves. Few years ago it was quite common, then disappeared. Lately I've started getting them again (though this weekend's up and back through ATL was just the old TV tubes in the cabin).
I remember a couple years back when it was quite common in the TPA market -- but I also recall DL had many 767's in the TPA market as well at the time.

TPA is my preferred airport when I need to be in the Ocala area, but I sometimes do MCO and ocassionaly GNV.

Looking at all of my upcoming bookings, which are into TPA, they're all listed as the standard 757's with the dropdown aisle IFE. Flying ATL-TPA/MCO over the last year, they've all been standard 757's with rare exception.

For my Central America flights on 757s, they've all been the standards with the aisle dropdown units as well. No sense in LiveTV on those flights as I've heard the LiveTV only works in the lower 48 states. (Is this correct ?)

When I do see the ex-song birds, it is on ATL - West Coast routes. I agree with MikeyZBT that they need to be used on the 4+ hr flights going west such as SAN. I'm surprised MikeyZBT isn't getting ex-Song birds on the ATL-SAN run -- I almost always get them on my ATL to west coast flights with my most common route being ATL-PDX; however I've seen them do a last minute swap a couple times to a standard 757.

I've been lucky with all my 737-700 & 737-800 flights and have always gotten PTV's w/Live TV. These are usually flights like PDX-JFK or ATL-SNA.

Just waiting for the day when the ex NW 757's start to appear on ATL - West Coast runs. I don't mind the 5600's or the 753, but the 757 5500's I've seen lately are in rough shape, have older overheads with the lip, and really need full cabin refurbs.
Old May 3, 2010, 4:42 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
Sorry, but Delta should NEVER have PTV/AVOD 757s on this route... not while ATL-SAN is still getting 757s without PTV/AVOD. 4+ hour flights should have them, sorry.
I agree, however, I would rather my flight run on time than wait 3+ hours to find a PTV aircraft.

But looking at the seat maps from today's night flights, it looks like a toss up between 6 and 7 rows of F/C
Old May 3, 2010, 5:14 pm

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Originally Posted by aviatorzz
I agree, however, I would rather my flight run on time than wait 3+ hours to find a PTV aircraft.

But looking at the seat maps from today's night flights, it looks like a toss up between 6 and 7 rows of F/C
And yet you don't see ANY on ATL-LAX, ATL-SEA, ATL-SFO... I hate being in a "minor city". I'm originally from NYC and yes, I've been in SAN for 5 years, but this "minor city" thing sucks... Can't wait to move back east!

Originally Posted by SDF_Traveler
For my Central America flights on 757s, they've all been the standards with the aisle dropdown units as well. No sense in LiveTV on those flights as I've heard the LiveTV only works in the lower 48 states. (Is this correct ?)
I believe you are correct about this...

When I do see the ex-song birds, it is on ATL - West Coast routes. I agree with MikeyZBT that they need to be used on the 4+ hr flights going west such as SAN. I'm surprised MikeyZBT isn't getting ex-Song birds on the ATL-SAN run -- I almost always get them on my ATL to west coast flights with my most common route being ATL-PDX; however I've seen them do a last minute swap a couple times to a standard 757.
And yes, we've also had the PTV 757s and then had them "switch out" at the last minute... but too many times it's been "switched out" for it to be random. ATL-SAN has to be one of those routes on the list of "when things get messed up, go ahead and screw them" routes.

To make matters even worse, for my flight back from the east coast this Sunday (5/9), a few weeks ago the plane changed from a 767 (my FAVORITE plane because even if we don't get upgraded, my wife and I can sit together with no middle seat... just LOVE this plane) to a non-PTV 757. Went from GREAT to TERRIBLE. Ugh.

Just waiting for the day when the ex NW 757's start to appear on ATL - West Coast runs. I don't mind the 5600's or the 753, but the 757 5500's I've seen lately are in rough shape, have older overheads with the lip, and really need full cabin refurbs.
Don't even JOKE about that. That would truly suck.
Old May 3, 2010, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by mikelevitt
Not all 757's have been fitted yet. My non-BE 757 last night (with winglets) didn't have GoGo, I was disappointed.
Old May 3, 2010, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
And yet you don't see ANY on ATL-LAX, ATL-SEA, ATL-SFO... I hate being in a "minor city". I'm originally from NYC and yes, I've been in SAN for 5 years, but this "minor city" thing sucks... Can't wait to move back east!
Of course, as you don't frequent those routes you don't grasp that even SEA/SFO get non-AVOD planes. Of my 4 west coast turns this year ex-ATL only 2 have had AVOD. Last year I was 50/50 on the ATL-SFO having AVOD on the late departure.
Old May 3, 2010, 5:48 pm

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Originally Posted by WBurcham
Of course, as you don't frequent those routes you don't grasp that even SEA/SFO get non-AVOD planes. Of my 4 west coast turns this year ex-ATL only 2 have had AVOD. Last year I was 50/50 on the ATL-SFO having AVOD on the late departure.
Of course, you seem to be in the minority on this thinking. Everything I hear from other travelers that DO frequent ATL-SFO and ATL-SEA get PTV planes very often. Plus, Delta uses the 767s on those routes more than they do to SAN, so you even can avoid the middle seat.

I don't know where all the PTV 757s went, but they're not on all the transcon flights AS THEY SHOULD BE.
Old May 3, 2010, 6:46 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott
I have flown about 25 transcons over the last 8ish months and ive only been about 50/50 ptv to non-ptv 757, ironically I haven't been to SAN since 2008.

Do you guys get 738s without PTV's from SAN-ATL? I did from LAX.

Again, I will repeat my question...would you rather your flight be delayed or cancelled because a primary 757 with ptv's wasn't available?

Sorry, but if it was late, you would complain and if it doesn't have PTVs you would complain.

zz
Old May 3, 2010, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by aviatorzz
I have flown about 25 transcons over the last 8ish months and ive only been about 50/50 ptv to non-ptv 757, ironically I haven't been to SAN since 2008.

Do you guys get 738s without PTV's from SAN-ATL? I did from LAX.

Again, I will repeat my question...would you rather your flight be delayed or cancelled because a primary 757 with ptv's wasn't available?

Sorry, but if it was late, you would complain and if it doesn't have PTVs you would complain.
Excuse me, but I never said that I'd rather be late or have my flight cancelled... yes, I'd rather get home. And I understand if switches have to be made in certain circumstances, but there is absolutely NO REASON why ATL-SAN, ATL-LAX, ATL-SFO, or ATL-SEA should ever have non-PTV 757s. There are PLENTY to go around so that you need the non-PTV 757s up and down the east coast and in Florida...

Also, no, SAN-ATL never has a 737 (well, once in a VERY rare while). We do have the PTV 737s on SAN-JFK, that's nice. But I would like to see the BusinessElite 757 on SAN-JFK, but yes, I know... SAN is a minor market.... ugh.
Old May 3, 2010, 11:15 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles PM, Starwood SPG Platinum, Hilton HH Honors, UA MP Silver, EK Skywards Silver
Definitely wouldn't want a flight to be delayed or missed because of something like that. I think the realization is there that there is a 50/50 chance that you'll get one with IFE, and if not....then tough luck.

Now taking a look at the fallout from the ash cloud in Europe...I know that many of the European airlines at MCO...from BA and VS...they had to obtain some extra jets (charter jets) to try and get those stranded passengers out. All of BA and VS long-haul fleet have PTV's, and those passengers were stuck on board non-PTV 767s and ancient Omni Air DC-10s.

Now...would you complain to VS if you were put on a DC-10 back to LGW? Talk about a major downgrade in equipment and entertainment.
Old May 12, 2010, 2:50 am

Any updates on AVOD in Y installation on the 1607-1613 series of 763ER (with winglets) that are used for the over 12 hour routes?
Old May 12, 2010, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
It was noted yesterday (in a thread on winglets on 767s) that this subfleet now all have AVOD in coach.

Perhaps the helpful OP can return for a refresh.
Old May 21, 2010, 9:36 pm

Video MSP-LAX, LAX-DTW

Does anyone know if FC MSP-LAX (A320) or LAX-DTW (737-800) has video on demand? I'm trying to decide whether to bring my own entertainment. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.