Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Master A330-300 (A333) Best Seats Thread [Merged Threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Master A330-300 (A333) Best Seats Thread [Merged Threads]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2015, 5:16 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
I am currently in 27J for a TATL that departs in 5 days. Up until a few days ago, 27H was empty. The flight has over 1/2 of EC unsold (or unselected by DM/PMs). Most of the "premium" seats are open too, including 14 pairs of AB or HJ seats.

So fellow travelers: would you switch (and loose leg room) to avoid overnight armrest haggling with a stranger if you could be pretty sure of a pair of premium window/aisle seats?

I'm thinking switch at the gate, not sooner. If the flight indeed stays this light, can I board for 27J and just pop up to one of the empty pairs a little before pushback - or even at seatbelts-off after initial climb? I have heard that FAs do defend EC seats, and that makes sense. As an FO, I get premium seats free - hence 27J. If I move after boarding is there much chance of an unpleasant FA interaction?

Maybe I'm overthinking it, but while I love legroom, I'd rather have privacy now that 27H is occupied (which could of course change right up to departure, too).

Thanks for any suggestions!
Old Feb 13, 2015, 7:38 pm

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Best Y+ seat for JFK-MXP

Traveling JFK-MXP later this year on A333. I'm currently booked 13H on outbound and 10H on return.

I'm 5'10, slim guy with no medical issues. Should I stick with these seats or change?

On the outbound I have 10G or 13A-B or 13H-J.
Row 13 doesn't have aligned windows. Row 10 might have limited legroom even though it is bulkhead (per seat expert). I tend to prefer window seats on long haul flights. I rarely have the need to use the restroom during flight and hate to be bothered.

Return I have same options as above but also have 10H-J as another option.

Thoughts?
Old Feb 17, 2015, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by mridley2
Traveling JFK-MXP later this year on A333. I'm currently booked 13H on outbound and 10H on return.

I'm 5'10, slim guy with no medical issues. Should I stick with these seats or change?

On the outbound I have 10G or 13A-B or 13H-J.
Row 13 doesn't have aligned windows. Row 10 might have limited legroom even though it is bulkhead (per seat expert). I tend to prefer window seats on long haul flights. I rarely have the need to use the restroom during flight and hate to be bothered.

Return I have same options as above but also have 10H-J as another option.

Thoughts?
I'm pretty certain Row 10 leg room is good!! Some do not like the fixed arm rests.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 8:50 am
havnfn

Programs: Delta-DM; Hilton-Diamond; Hyatt-Diamond
Originally Posted by suvayanr
For J, is it advantageous to sit closer to the rear for better chance of getting your first choice?
Also depends on how full the flight is. Keep an eye on the seatmap and move up/back if it seems to be filling up (if possible)

I chose 5A and J was, at best, 2/3 full...more like half and had no problem getting the meal I wanted (along w/a co-worker who ended up in 6C after the seat in 5C malfunctioned)
Old Feb 17, 2015, 1:49 pm

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Originally Posted by ScrodmanFL
Also depends on how full the flight is. Keep an eye on the seatmap and move up/back if it seems to be filling up (if possible)

I chose 5A and J was, at best, 2/3 full...more like half and had no problem getting the meal I wanted (along w/a co-worker who ended up in 6C after the seat in 5C malfunctioned)
Always try to sit in 1C and when boarding the pursers seem to be hand out the menu cards from front to back and then most of the time do a U turn. After that they do the U turn again asking if you made your choice Service is of course back to front and you are the last one to be served. For the 'almost there' you are indeed the last one to select your choice.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 8:10 am

My wife and I are going on our first cruise to Europe in early May, and, will be flying to Barcelona on the A-300-333. We have only flown a couple times ever, so, flying on this large plan will be a new experience.

We also took advantage of a huge upgrade discount and, will be in seats 4 & 5 in the Business/Elite section of the plane with the new layout and long seats to stretch out and sleep on the overnight flight.

If anyone has any recent experience with these seats, section of the plane, and/or photos/video, we would love to hear your comments and view anything. We are so excited about this trip and the perks that come with flying in this section including FREE access at JFK to the Delta Sky Lounges.

Thank-you very much.
Dave
Old Feb 21, 2015, 8:53 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by Dave4120
My wife and I are going on our first cruise to Europe in early May, and, will be flying to Barcelona on the A-300-333. We have only flown a couple times ever, so, flying on this large plan will be a new experience.

We also took advantage of a huge upgrade discount and, will be in seats 4 & 5 in the Business/Elite section of the plane with the new layout and long seats to stretch out and sleep on the overnight flight.

If anyone has any recent experience with these seats, section of the plane, and/or photos/video, we would love to hear your comments and view anything. We are so excited about this trip and the perks that come with flying in this section including FREE access at JFK to the Delta Sky Lounges.
The A330-300 is a great plane in BusinessElite. Service is back to front, and the front is quieter since the "active" galley is behind the cabin. I fly on this aircraft almost monthly (sometimes more) from Amsterdam to Boston.

When you say "seats 4 & 5" I am assuming you mean row 4 & 5 (either 4A and 5A or 4J and 5J). This would not be a great selection for a couple traveling together as these are "solo" seats. (The plane, as all Delta wide-body international aircraft is a 1-2-1 seating configuration.) I strongly suggest you choose two seats in the center section, which would be much nicer for a couple (4CG or 5CG etc.); unless you do not desire interaction (discussion) with your spouse during the flight. The seats are "lie-flat," and you should be able to get some decent rest before arriving in Barcelona.

Enjoy!

Last edited by baccarat_king; Feb 21, 2015 at 8:59 am
Old Feb 21, 2015, 10:15 am

Thank-you for the information. Yes, I meant ROW 4J and 5J. We originally had the two inside seats of Row-4, but felt it might be less private with people on each aisle side moving throughout the cabin versus just one side with a single row seat, and, we could be seen more sitting in the middle from each window side seat. Obviously, from JFK to Barcelona, it's an overnight flight so middle or window seat might not make any difference since we will be trying to sleep and not talking much. On the way back, it might be more beneficial to switch back to the middle.

As I had mentioned before, we are both 60-years of age, and believe it or not, have only flown a couple of times ever, so, we have no idea what to expect from any aircraft, so, your information is most helpful. I will try to find some photos, etc of this aircraft, and, maybe that will help a confused mind decide about keeping the existing seats, or changing back to the two middle seats.

Thank-you again.
Dave
Old Feb 21, 2015, 8:13 pm

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by Dave4120
Thank-you for the information. Yes, I meant ROW 4J and 5J. We originally had the two inside seats of Row-4, but felt it might be less private with people on each aisle side moving throughout the cabin versus just one side with a single row seat, and, we could be seen more sitting in the middle from each window side seat. Obviously, from JFK to Barcelona, it's an overnight flight so middle or window seat might not make any difference since we will be trying to sleep and not talking much. On the way back, it might be more beneficial to switch back to the middle.

As I had mentioned before, we are both 60-years of age, and believe it or not, have only flown a couple of times ever, so, we have no idea what to expect from any aircraft, so, your information is most helpful. I will try to find some photos, etc of this aircraft, and, maybe that will help a confused mind decide about keeping the existing seats, or changing back to the two middle seats.
Dave
you mention :
"but felt it might be less private with people on each aisle side moving throughout the cabin versus just one side with a single row seat"

IMO, this is NOT the case :
(a) not very many people move around on an overnight red-eye
and (b) middle seats are just as "private" if the seat companion is someone you know (and like).

But, for those who do NOT fly often, "meal service" is usually a big deal (in international BusinessElite). Multi-course dinner, Champagne, china and linens, cocktails, wine, dessert cart, ice cream sundaes, cheese and fruit, dessert wine etc. At minimum, this lasts an hour (or more if you desire). With that being the case, it's a nice way to start a vacation; and even nicer to be able to talk to your partner during dinner service. So, sitting one behind the other is not really preferred in this instance. There are many pictures of this meal service on my instagram; as well as the meal service thread on FlyerTalk.

Just something to consider. I would, personally, ALWAYS choose the two middle seats when traveling with my wife or another companion.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 12:54 pm

Thanks very much for your help. Most of everything you and the previous poster have said makes sense. We might be switching back to center row seats.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 12:00 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Any thoughts on relative privacy or other pros/cons of 1C/G vs. 9C/G for a couple traveling together? Haven't flown the DL A330-type seat before but in my experience on "traditional" herringbone configs like the DL 777 I often find I prefer the back of the cabin for more privacy, not sure if that is as true here or not.

Flight is a daytime SEA-JFK (special segment) so order of meal service not likely to be as significant a factor as it would be on an international flight.
Old May 11, 2015, 2:39 pm

I will be flying Rome to Atlanta in July on the A333. Could someone please confirm that 10H and 10J have bulkhead in front of them and not exit? The DL maps seems to depict this but will be traveling with a minor who cannot sit in the exit rows.
Old May 11, 2015, 3:32 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ads55uga
I will be flying Rome to Atlanta in July on the A333. Could someone please confirm that 10H and 10J have bulkhead in front of them and not exit? The DL maps seems to depict this but will be traveling with a minor who cannot sit in the exit rows.
I can confirm that for you, it's a bulkhead not an exit. Have a great trip and welcome to Flyertalk!
Old May 13, 2015, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by baccarat_king
FWIW, my favorite seat on the A330-300 is 2J.
I've seen you mention this a couple times. Have selected 2J & 3J for an upcoming trip.

Can you comment on where these seats ordinarily end up in terms of meal orders? Any particular advantage of 2J/3J over 2A/3A?

We are mostly interested in the quietest part of the cabin, and getting meal choice would be nice, too. Don't need the middle seats as we'll have plenty of time to converse during the 2 weeks at our destination.
Old May 14, 2015, 12:36 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
In my experience they tend to start taking meal orders @ 1C/2A and then work their way back before startig with the G/J side.
Serving Meals/desserts/'Almost there' etc: They start at the back @row 9 working their way up to row 1.

Row 9 is closest to the working galley and most likely isn't the quietest part of the cabin. Row 2/3 should be fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.