Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Los Angeles (LAX): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2013, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Delta-Delta Minimum Connecting Times at LAX
(Note the below times apply only if both flights are DL-marketed; the MCTs may be different for flights marketed by other airlines)

Domestic - Domestic: 40 minutes
Exception:
  • If you're connecting from T2/T3 to TBIT, then the MCT is 1 hour.
Domestic - International: 45 minutes
Exception:
  • If you're connecting from T2/T3 to TBIT, then the MCT is 1 hour, unless you're flying ATL-LAX-PPT or JFK-LAX-PPT, in which case MCT is 45 minutes even if connecting from T2/T3 to TBIT.
International - Domestic: 1 hour 30 minutes
Exception:
  • If you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it is considered a domestic arrival for MCT purposes and the domestic - domestic connection times above apply.
International - International: 1 hour 30 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it is considered a domestic arrival for MCT purposes and the domestic - international connection times above apply.
  • If your connection is from TBIT to TBIT, the MCT is 2 hours for an international-international connection.
  • If you're arriving from SYD and not connecting from TBIT to TBIT, the MCT is 1 hour, 50 minutes for an international-international connection. (If you're arriving from SYD and the connection is TBIT to TBIT, the 2 hour MCT in the bullet point above applies.)
  • If you're on one of the following flight routings, and the first flight arrives into TBIT, the MCT is 1 hour, 50 minutes for an international-international connection:
    • CUN-LAX-BNE
    • CUN-LAX-MEL
    • CUN-LAX-SJO
    • CUN-LAX-SYD
    • PVR-LAX-HND
    • HND-LAX-LHR
(These MCTs are accurate as of August 27, 2023.)

Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Los Angeles (LAX): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2009, 5:29 am

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Everything is in the same reservation. I don't think he'll have to re-check in at the KE counter

I'm thinking that he can just go directly to his gate and do his re-check in and verify his luggage with the GA.

His final destination is CEB (Cebu, Ph)
Old Jul 29, 2009, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
It will be very difficult to get the connection done. Unless he is very familiar with LAX, I advise agains the tight connection. If there is ANY delay in the DL flight, there is no way he'll make it to his KE flight.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 6:58 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
My initial reaction: no way. Upon reflection, I'd say that it's possible but highly unadvisable. If the FLL flight arrives at Terminal 5 (I think it could arrive at Terminal 6, which DL uses for some flights), it's probably a good 5-10 minute walk from aircraft door to terminal roadway. Then it's a solid 10 minute walk past Terminal 4 to TBIT, longer if you take a bus. Security waits vary widely at TBIT, even if you're not doing checked-baggage screening, which your cousin won't be thanks to through-checked baggage. You could breeze through during the day, but you might also have a 10-minute wait or a 30-minute wait, or a 60-minute nightmare. During the day, more likely to be a short wait, but I've arrived mid-day and seen massive lines snaking out of the terminal. Then you've got to get to the aircraft: 5 minutes if it's at a contact gate near the center of the terminal, a whole lot more if at a remote stand.

My own personal MCT domestic>>international at LAX is 2 hours, but three is preferred, and 4 if on separate tix.

I'd try to get on a later KE flight if possible, or suck up the connection through ATL if it would get your cousin into LAX earlier.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 8:58 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, DL FO, DL MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt platinum
Everything -- incoming flight arriving on time, exiting that plane quickly, making the walk to the terminal exit and then to TBIT without a hitch, clearing security there and verifying bags with KE -- would have to go perfectly for a 60 minute connection to work. Security often is less of a problem in the AM than at night, but not always.

I agree with others. Don't try it.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 8:58 am

There's a chance he'll make it, but it is awfully close. I'd shoot for more time if you can. Worst case scenario, he has time to run to in-n-out for a burger. If the sell it to you, I'm sure they will accomodate on the next KE departure, but what if that one is full? It could be a bit of a wait until the night flights.

Last edited by El Boocho; Jul 29, 2009 at 9:12 am
Old Jul 29, 2009, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by donlind
Everything -- incoming flight arriving on time, exiting that plane quickly, making the walk to the terminal exit and then to TBIT without a hitch, clearing security there and verifying bags with KE -- would have to go perfectly for a 60 minute connection to work. Security often is less of a problem in the AM than at night, but not always.

I agree with others. Don't try it.
Plus east to west flights are historically late.
If there is checked in baggage, it will not make it.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 3:56 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. I called today to change the reservation and even after she confirmed that I would need 90 minutes to connect in LAX, she insist that I'll have to pay $100 change fee.

I guess I'll wait for a schedule change so I can change the reservation for no charge. The flight is not until late January so I'm not in a rush.

Thanks again! ^
Old Jul 29, 2009, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by aSiAnRiCk
Thanks for the advice guys. I called today to change the reservation and even after she confirmed that I would need 90 minutes to connect in LAX, she insist that I'll have to pay $100 change fee.

I guess I'll wait for a schedule change so I can change the reservation for no charge. The flight is not until late January so I'm not in a rush.

Thanks again! ^
How is it even possible then that the 60 minute connection was made available if the minimum is 90?
Old Jul 29, 2009, 7:33 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by AndyTLe
How is it even possible then that the 60 minute connection was made available if the minimum is 90?
Happens all the time. DL sold me a 23 min connection in AMS. I happily took it, knowing that they'd have to clean up their mistake (and when they did, I ended up with the exact -sold out- flights I wanted). I've seen shorter connections than that on DL.com, as well as flights that don't exist (e.g., MUC-SLC non-stop). I happy to buy any of these, considering that a mileage refund is the worst that can happen to me.

To the OP: Don't wait too long to inquire about your change. They sold you a flight that violates the MCT requirement. They need to clean it up (and you don't have to pay a dime). Cleaning it up can be difficult if partners are involved and you wait too long (because flights my be full).
Old Jul 31, 2009, 5:39 am

An update on this issue.

I called NW yesterday and informed them of the MCT requirement .. for the third time.

Now she's telling me that my FLL-LAX segment has not been confirmed, even though I already have the ticket number for the whole reservation.

She offered FLL-MEM-ORD-ICN instead but I'd prefer the PBI-ATL-ICN route instead. I told her I would call back later as my reservation is not until next year.

Thanks again guys ^
Old Sep 5, 2009, 7:20 pm

LAX - Connection Help DL to Alaska

I am on a DL flt from ATL to LAX and then connecting on an Alaska metal flt from LAX to Vancouver (reserved on DL.com)

I was wondering if any of you can answer the following 2 questions for me please:

1. At LAX - when I change from DL to Alaska - is it the same terminal - and if its not - then do I have to go through security again at LAX or is there a way to go to the Alaska terminal from inside security?

2. Is there a Bath and Body works shop in LAX at the Alaska terminal???

Would appreciate any help you can provide.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Different terminal. You arrive in terminal 5 and depart terminal 3. You will have to reclear security in terminal 3. There is a bus that travels between terminals, or you could walk. I'd estimate 15 minutes to walk from T5 to T3, once you exit T5. How long is your connection?

No idea about the Bath and Body works shop. Terminal 3 is pretty spartan.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 8:36 pm

I can tell you having been through it last week that DL's terminal 5 at LAX has a The Body Shop store in it. Not sure about Bath and Body works.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 12:15 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Stripe
There is a bus that travels between terminals, or you could walk. I'd estimate 15 minutes to walk from T5 to T3, once you exit T5.
it's a shorter walk going across the parking garage.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 1:37 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Is there a way to get on the air-side bus from T5 Delta to T4 American Eagle to T3 Alaska?? Never had to do this since I live in LA but thought I heard something about that....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.