Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Los Angeles (LAX): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2013, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Delta-Delta Minimum Connecting Times at LAX
(Note the below times apply only if both flights are DL-marketed; the MCTs may be different for flights marketed by other airlines)

Domestic - Domestic: 40 minutes
Exception:
  • If you're connecting from T2/T3 to TBIT, then the MCT is 1 hour.
Domestic - International: 45 minutes
Exception:
  • If you're connecting from T2/T3 to TBIT, then the MCT is 1 hour, unless you're flying ATL-LAX-PPT or JFK-LAX-PPT, in which case MCT is 45 minutes even if connecting from T2/T3 to TBIT.
International - Domestic: 1 hour 30 minutes
Exception:
  • If you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it is considered a domestic arrival for MCT purposes and the domestic - domestic connection times above apply.
International - International: 1 hour 30 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it is considered a domestic arrival for MCT purposes and the domestic - international connection times above apply.
  • If your connection is from TBIT to TBIT, the MCT is 2 hours for an international-international connection.
  • If you're arriving from SYD and not connecting from TBIT to TBIT, the MCT is 1 hour, 50 minutes for an international-international connection. (If you're arriving from SYD and the connection is TBIT to TBIT, the 2 hour MCT in the bullet point above applies.)
  • If you're on one of the following flight routings, and the first flight arrives into TBIT, the MCT is 1 hour, 50 minutes for an international-international connection:
    • CUN-LAX-BNE
    • CUN-LAX-MEL
    • CUN-LAX-SJO
    • CUN-LAX-SYD
    • PVR-LAX-HND
    • HND-LAX-LHR
(These MCTs are accurate as of August 27, 2023.)

Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Los Angeles (LAX): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2009, 9:33 pm

Programs: Delta, Hyatt-Plat, Priority Club-Plat, Hilton-Gold
I did the DL 16 SYD-LAX-ATL connection today. LAX customs was bad, but security was a zoo. Even the FC security line took 25-30 minutes. Long story short, if you are NOT in BE (thus first to customs and FC security line), it could potentially be a very tight connection.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 5:47 am

Programs: Delta
We just got back from Sydney... our flights were on time, we did not check our luggage and got through customs/immigration and on our flight to SLC (1 hr layover) with time to spare we were in the front of coach and did not have to pick up luggage. Another couple who happened to be on the same itinerary had to pick up checked luggage and they did just make it through in the one hour time frame... the positive is that customs/immigration is essentially just for you though you have to walk some distance. And it looked like rechecking baggage was a snap, then you are right there assuming your connection is a Delta flight. If your flight was substantially late then even a later flight could be in question... worst case you get put on a later flight with perhaps some seating inconvenience. If you can take your luggage on board though there is no question from our experience about making it, if the flight is on time or even a few minutes late. But then just flying that distance is an adventure in and of itself... particularly in coach.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 5:38 pm

Programs: DL DM; UA; AA
Originally Posted by DiscoPapa
I did the DL 16 SYD-LAX-ATL connection today. LAX customs was bad, but security was a zoo. Even the FC security line took 25-30 minutes. Long story short, if you are NOT in BE (thus first to customs and FC security line), it could potentially be a very tight connection.
"Today" = Monday the 30th?
If so, we must have been standing pretty much next to each other in the FC security line... if, by any chance, you happen to remember a group of 5 including a man in a dark-blue Sydney T-shirt and a child of 11, that was us

So, I guess this is a rhetorical question... but, even when you're flying all the way through on DL 16, there's actually a fair chance you'll not make the continuation leg because of the LAX mess? And they won't wait for you or anything?
Old Dec 1, 2009, 6:02 pm

Enter LAX airside at T6 or T7. Much quicker than T5.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 2:11 pm

Programs: DL DM; UA; AA
Originally Posted by Colin
Enter LAX airside at T6 or T7. Much quicker than T5.
I actually had this very thought! -- but then somehow dismissed it. The extra walk, tunnel and all....
I'll certainly remember this, though, in case I ever have such a connection again.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 9:13 am

Programs: HH Gold; Marriott Gold; Hertz #1 5*
schedule change OGG-LAX-ATL now 30 min conn in LAX

I am on a miles itinerary (First (R)) on my way back from OGG to CLT.

The OGG-LAX flight #1212 arrives 5:50am 24Jul.
The LAX-ATL flight #2154 leaves 6:20am.

With only a 30 minute connection, is it likely or unlikely I will miss the next flight? According to flightaware, this is mostly ontime to early. Being in the front probably helps to get off the plane first, I guess.

The key is keeping the F seats with IFE.

Do I call to get on a different flight, now? Are they even going to listen to me? If there are IRROPS, I don't want to end up on the A320 to MEM (no IFE).

I've heard that DL16 on a 757 gets slightly nicer amenities even though the seat is the same (international continuation). Maybe that can be an option.

I have no status and am traveling in a party of three.

Any opinions or advice?

Thanks!

Last edited by fajimenez; Feb 22, 2010 at 9:54 am Reason: Added that I have no status. Traveling in a part of 3.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 10:29 am

Help! Flying domestic into LAX, buying separate tickets, flying out of LAX intl

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and I've never flown out of LAX. I live in PHX and flying to MEX and found the best deal flying via LAX. I'm considering the following flights:

5/18 UA6523 PHX 6:23 - LAX 7:50 (LAX T8)
5/18 AS 244 LAX 10:30 - MEX 16:00 (LAX T3)

5/29 AS 245 MEX 17:00 - LAX 19:03 (LAX TBIT)
5/29 UA6453 LAX 21:06 - PHX 22:08 (LAX T8)

I'm looking at these flights because my main frequent flyer program is SkyMiles and I'm a college student on a budget so this was the best combination I could find. I need help because I've never flown out of LAX and I don't know if the time I'll have would be sufficient to make it happen, keeping in mind I'll be buying separate tickets. If someone could offer some advice on whether I can make it or forget about it, I'll appreciate it.

Last edited by grekko; Feb 23, 2010 at 11:41 am
Old Mar 16, 2010, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
On Monday, I have 3+ hours at LAX starting about 11:30 AM.

My flights are all in Terminal 4 (I am not flying Delta much anymore), but I would like to meet someone at the Sky Club in Terminal 5 if possible during my layover. How long would I need to allow to go back and forth? - I have to go through security twice as I understand it to do this. I will have Status for the First Class / Elite line (assuming it exists??) at both terminals.

Hopefully some of you are regular flyers into and out of LAX and have a good feel for how long it should take to run between terminals and pass through the security gauntlet in the various terminals.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by GrizShel
On Monday, I have 3+ hours at LAX starting about 11:30 AM.

My flights are all in Terminal 4 (I am not flying Delta much anymore), but I would like to meet someone at the Sky Club in Terminal 5 if possible during my layover. How long would I need to allow to go back and forth? - I have to go through security twice as I understand it to do this. I will have Status for the First Class / Elite line (assuming it exists??) at both terminals.

Hopefully some of you are regular flyers into and out of LAX and have a good feel for how long it should take to run between terminals and pass through the security gauntlet in the various terminals.
Shouldn't take long at all. No longer than a 5 minute walk, 0-15 minutes through security (depending on time of day). But how are you going to get through the T5 security without a BP (Refundable ticket)?
Old Mar 16, 2010, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Originally Posted by AndyTLe
Shouldn't take long at all. No longer than a 5 minute walk, 0-15 minutes through security (depending on time of day). But how are you going to get through the T5 security without a BP (Refundable ticket)?
Thanks! - don't worry I have that taken care of. The time of day will be around 12 Noon or before to go to Terminal 5, and about 1:30 PM to go back to Terminal 5.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 1:30 pm

LAS to BKK, luggage questions. TIA!

This is a truly helpful forum, I did a search, but I cannot find my specific question answered.

My wife travels from Vegas to Bangkok next week. She is flying United from LAS to LAX, and we are pretty sure that her bags will be checked thru all the way to BKK, as she is flying Thai Air direct to BKK, and we are told there is interline agreements between United and Thai Air. So she will not have to see her bags until BKK. Is this the case?

Also, outbound, when she gets to LAX, and then must make her way to the international terminal, must she go to the Thai Air counter, or can she make her way directly to the gate? She only has 1hr 47min between outbound flights.

The whole trip was booked at one time via Orbitz, on one ticket.

2nd: When she returns, we are told she must get her bags when she lands at LAX on the return to clear customs. The big question is: Will she have to drag her bags all the way to the United terminal/counter to check them in for the flight to LAS, or is there a conveyer in the international terminal to send her bags to United?

Thanks, and any suggestions for us (her) are much appreciated.

Michael
Old Mar 27, 2010, 7:29 am

Programs: Onetime bmi * Gold lifetime membership, BA Gold, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold
British Airways to American

I wonder if anyone could clarify whether a 1 hour 25 minute connection is possible flying in from London with BA landing at 15.15 and then going on to Las Vegas with AA at 16:40?

Thanks for any advice.

bmifly
Old May 8, 2010, 8:24 pm

Domestic to International

Hi all,

I depart the US from T4 at 2330 on Fri 18th of June on QF16 (Economy - no FF status). I am on a non-US passport. Q recommend being checked in 120 minutes before my flight. So, assuming the queue to get checked in will take 20-30 minutes, that means I want to be entering T4 at about 2100.

First question: How long does security take (from leaving the check-in counter to sitting at my boarding gate)?

I am in the process of booking a connecting SW flight from SFO; these seem to arrive pretty much hourly which is good. So I have the option of arriving at LAX (I think they are in T1) at either 2015 or 1915 (or earlier if need be).

Second question: How long it will it take once I land at LAX, to collect my bags and make my way over to T4?

I'm thinking: If I land at T1 at 2015, have bags from carousel at 2045 then 10-15 min walk to T4 (or Bus if easier?), it would put me there at 2100. This would work well provided there are no delays (the IFs start to creep in).

Third question: Given the exacting schedule if I booked the 2015 arrival, would I be better to book the 1915 flight and give myself the extra time?

I think given Murphy's Law (having Irish heritage I think I'm extra susceptible ) I would be better to book the 1915 and if all goes to schedule, use the extra time to grab a burger at the In and Out.

Thanks in advance,

BP
Old May 9, 2010, 11:39 pm

Programs: Starwood life Plt, AA Gold.,Delta . ,Priority Plat,IC Ambassador
Close Connection..need help? (SYD-LAX-ATL)

Greetings:

I would greatly appreciate someone holding my hand and guiding me........

I am coming in from SYD on Delta 16 , Ter 5, gate 58A, at :6:00 AM, I am going out on Delta 16, LAX-ATL at 8:00 AM, Ter 5, gate 63....

What is the drill when I hit the deck at gate 58A....I have immigration, customs and security back I would think? Suggestions,hints,how to's, candels, would be greatly appreciate.d.....no running please I am nearly 80.

Thanks to all.............(I will now have Sydney local brew and wait.)..TomT
Old May 10, 2010, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
You will:
1. Have a very long walk from the plane to immigration. By very long I mean up & down several escalators with lots of walking in between.
2. You'll go through immigration (usually very quick).
3. You'll wait for your baggage. This is what almost screwed me when I came in from SYD last month. 45 minutes to get my bag.
4. You'll go through customs (again, usually very quick).
5. You'll walk down a hallway where you will give your bags over to the security people, assuming they are tagged to ATL.
6. You'll walk outside the terminal, down the walkway and back upstairs to the departures area.
7. You'll wait forever for security. When I came in from SYD I waited 40 minutes to get through TSA. I came in on a Monday morning at 0930.

I had an originally scheduled layover time of 55 minutes at LAX. My plane arrived 35 minutes early. I only got to my departure gate for SLC at the scheduled departure time and they actually let me on the plane, in my original seat, and then closed the door on my a$$ and the plane departed.

Two hours is going to be tight but you shouldn't worry too much. There are quite a few LAX-ATL flights so getting rebooked if you miss your connection should hopefully be a painless experience.

-RM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.