Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Los Angeles (LAX): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2013, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Delta-Delta Minimum Connecting Times at LAX
(Note the below times apply only if both flights are DL-marketed; the MCTs may be different for flights marketed by other airlines)

Domestic - Domestic: 40 minutes
Exception:
  • If you're connecting from T2/T3 to TBIT, then the MCT is 1 hour.
Domestic - International: 45 minutes
Exception:
  • If you're connecting from T2/T3 to TBIT, then the MCT is 1 hour, unless you're flying ATL-LAX-PPT or JFK-LAX-PPT, in which case MCT is 45 minutes even if connecting from T2/T3 to TBIT.
International - Domestic: 1 hour 30 minutes
Exception:
  • If you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it is considered a domestic arrival for MCT purposes and the domestic - domestic connection times above apply.
International - International: 1 hour 30 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it is considered a domestic arrival for MCT purposes and the domestic - international connection times above apply.
  • If your connection is from TBIT to TBIT, the MCT is 2 hours for an international-international connection.
  • If you're arriving from SYD and not connecting from TBIT to TBIT, the MCT is 1 hour, 50 minutes for an international-international connection. (If you're arriving from SYD and the connection is TBIT to TBIT, the 2 hour MCT in the bullet point above applies.)
  • If you're on one of the following flight routings, and the first flight arrives into TBIT, the MCT is 1 hour, 50 minutes for an international-international connection:
    • CUN-LAX-BNE
    • CUN-LAX-MEL
    • CUN-LAX-SJO
    • CUN-LAX-SYD
    • PVR-LAX-HND
    • HND-LAX-LHR
(These MCTs are accurate as of August 27, 2023.)

Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Los Angeles (LAX): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2009, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
There is no Bath and Body Works Shop at T3 LAX. There's nothing much post-security at all.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 2:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by BearX220
There is no Bath and Body Works Shop at T3 LAX. There's nothing much post-security at all.
T-3 is Third World

Thankfully there is an AS BR, and is accessible with a DL SC membership (Its upstairs)
Old Sep 6, 2009, 2:54 pm

How long does it take to get through security at T3? Is there a dedicated lane for people flying in first class on Alaska?
Old Sep 6, 2009, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by Burj
How long does it take to get through security at T3? Is there a dedicated lane for people flying in first class on Alaska?
IIRC there is a dedicated Elite and First class line.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 12:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by AndyTLe
IIRC there is a dedicated Elite and First class line.
Depends on other flights... AS shares T-3 with some other airlines

Last time I went thru there was no elite line for T-3 (in May) but they did pull my companion and I thru what appeared to be the employee line (We made a run to In n out and had no luggage with us ^)

But there has been one before apparently... just don't count on it...
Old Nov 6, 2009, 9:55 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, Priority Club Platinum Elite
Exclamation Need LAX Connection time Help (DL - Air Canada)

For all you LAX regulars, how long will it usually take to connect from a DL flight to an Air Canada flight. Looking at the terminal map they seem to be on opposite sides of the airport, but accessible by train???

Thanks for the help!!!
Old Nov 6, 2009, 9:58 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
No train in LAX but where are you coming from when you fly into LAX? That is a key part of the puzzle you didn't tell us.
Old Nov 6, 2009, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
I would give yourself 30+ minutes to go from your DL flight at T5/T6 to T2. There is no train, there is a inter-terminal bus that connects the terminals. However, you should just walk straight out and through the parking lots as it is much quicker than taking the bus that has to loop all the way around.

Note that the 30 minutes does not include check-in and security times once you get to T2. Also, make sure Delta interlines any checked baggage to Air Canada so you dont have to pick up your bags and recheck at LAX.

http://www.lawa.org/welcome_lax.aspx?id=256
Old Nov 6, 2009, 10:03 am

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by fti
No train in LAX but where are you coming from when you fly into LAX? That is a key part of the puzzle you didn't tell us.
SLC-LAX (DL)
LAX-YEG (Air Canada)

Thanks!
Old Nov 6, 2009, 10:30 am

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Since NWA is no longer at T2 the security lines are now pretty fast. Keep in mind that there are no "elite" lines there for security. I'd personally walk it, but it is a long way, if you're not into that long of a walk, take the bus out front that goes from Terminal to Terminal. LAX is a miserable airport for interline changes.
Old Nov 6, 2009, 11:56 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by dollerman73
SLC-LAX (DL)
LAX-YEG (Air Canada)

Thanks!
The published minimum connect time from DL to AC at LAX s 1 hour 30 minutes. So I would leave at least that much time if not more (from scheduled arrival time to scheduled departure time).
Old Nov 7, 2009, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by fti
The published minimum connect time from DL to AC at LAX s 1 hour 30 minutes. So I would leave at least that much time if not more (from scheduled arrival time to scheduled departure time).
Thanks, that's about what I have... gulp!
Old Nov 15, 2009, 8:40 pm

Programs: DL DM; UA; AA
LAX 1:20 international -> domestic connection?

In 2 weeks, we (a total of 5 people) are coming back from Australia: SYD-LAX-JFK. Owing to a schedule change, we now have just 1 h 20 min between DL 16 (arriving 6:10) and DL 78 (departing 7:30). How doable would this be?

Of course DL will let us change the LAX-JFK flight, but seeing that the next direct flight isn't before 11:30 makes me kinda reluctant... I'd positively hate to see us clear customs in time for the earlier flight and then be stuck there for 4 hours because there'd be no more seats on the 7:30. (And even if there are, our bags would be on the later flight...) OTOH, given that we're 5, I can see some challenge if we do misconnect and have to fight our way onto the next flight.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old Nov 15, 2009, 9:03 pm

I assume you are in economy, from your lack of mention of business class. You should get confirmed on the 11:30AM in nice exit row Y seats. LAX T5/6 are busy in the morning. Especially weekday mornings. Again, you don't mention the day. Really hard to offer guidance with the lack of specifics.
Old Nov 15, 2009, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While very tight, I'd still go with your original connection. The worst that can happen is they put you on the later flight. It is better to have that as a backup option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.