Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Los Angeles (LAX): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2013, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Delta-Delta Minimum Connecting Times at LAX
(Note the below times apply only if both flights are DL-marketed; the MCTs may be different for flights marketed by other airlines)

Domestic - Domestic: 40 minutes
Exception:
  • If you're connecting from T2/T3 to TBIT, then the MCT is 1 hour.
Domestic - International: 45 minutes
Exception:
  • If you're connecting from T2/T3 to TBIT, then the MCT is 1 hour, unless you're flying ATL-LAX-PPT or JFK-LAX-PPT, in which case MCT is 45 minutes even if connecting from T2/T3 to TBIT.
International - Domestic: 1 hour 30 minutes
Exception:
  • If you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it is considered a domestic arrival for MCT purposes and the domestic - domestic connection times above apply.
International - International: 1 hour 30 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it is considered a domestic arrival for MCT purposes and the domestic - international connection times above apply.
  • If your connection is from TBIT to TBIT, the MCT is 2 hours for an international-international connection.
  • If you're arriving from SYD and not connecting from TBIT to TBIT, the MCT is 1 hour, 50 minutes for an international-international connection. (If you're arriving from SYD and the connection is TBIT to TBIT, the 2 hour MCT in the bullet point above applies.)
  • If you're on one of the following flight routings, and the first flight arrives into TBIT, the MCT is 1 hour, 50 minutes for an international-international connection:
    • CUN-LAX-BNE
    • CUN-LAX-MEL
    • CUN-LAX-SJO
    • CUN-LAX-SYD
    • PVR-LAX-HND
    • HND-LAX-LHR
(These MCTs are accurate as of August 27, 2023.)

Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Los Angeles (LAX): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2010, 10:45 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by Erasmus
A little off topic, but this is definitely not the case at ATL. There is no separate line for connecting and terminating pax---but it is the exact opposite of LAX. At ATL, everyone has to go back through security, even if all you want to do is get to the curb. Definitely high on the list of brilliant design decisions at Hartsfield-Jackson.
At ATL there is a security check after customs/immigration that is used only by arriving international passengers, regardless of whether they are connecting to another flight, or just want to exit the airport. That same security line is not used by originating passengers (and couldn't be since it is located in Concourse E).

At LAX, if I am understanding the earlier posts correctly, the arriving international passengers must exit the terminal entirely after clearing customs, then go through the same security line used by the passengers originating their travel at LAX. So at LAX I would consider the situation to be better than ATL for terminating passengers, but worse for intl > domestic connecting pax.

At least ATL is on the way to fixing their problem with the new international terminal which will have its own curb and eliminate the security/baggage recheck for terminating passengers.
Old May 11, 2010, 7:37 am

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by chrisj85
At ATL there is a security check after customs/immigration that is used only by arriving international passengers, regardless of whether they are connecting to another flight, or just want to exit the airport. That same security line is not used by originating passengers (and couldn't be since it is located in Concourse E).
Correct. I wasn't talking about originating passengers, just connecting and terminating.

At LAX, if I am understanding the earlier posts correctly, the arriving international passengers must exit the terminal entirely after clearing customs, then go through the same security line used by the passengers originating their travel at LAX.
Yes, although you don't actually need to leave the terminal; you can hang a u-turn and grab the elevator that's behind you as you exit if you like, but the basic flow is as you describe.
Old May 22, 2010, 8:47 pm

Programs: DL DM, Fairmont Platinum, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Disney Platinum ;)
After today's schedule changes my SYD-LAX-JFK connection is highlighted in yelllow and the banner at the top is telling me due to a change blablabla might miss my connection.

I have a 640a arr 800a dep which is what delta.com offered when I booked the ticket. I've had schedule and/or flight number changes for all flights in the itin except DL16/17. So I thought I'd give changing the connecting flight a whirl since it has finally noticed the short connection.

It wants to charge me the change fee to do that so I'm leaving it as-is. I can use the global entry kiosk and I will only have a carry on, plus I'm in row 31 (hope to score a spot in row 30). So I should be able to speed off the plane and on my way, I think I'll have plenty of time. If not there are numerous options via ATL/MSP/DTW to my final destination.

I don't think that's too crazy. Can't be worse than a 38 min connection in ATL.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 2:40 pm
CDF

Location: Michigan, DL Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Gold
LAX DL International Connection Times

My apologies if this has been posted before. I saw a couple of posts that were similar but nothing that addressed my question specifically.

I have never flown into or out of LAX for an international flight but I find myself in a position to do so in the next few months (LAX-SYD). I was wondering if someone could help me out by providing some information/answers to the following:

• From what I can tell, all DL domestic and international flights arrive and depart from T5 - is that correct?
  • On a return from SYD-LAX, what is a reasonable amount of time to make a connection to another domestic flight on DL? I have one option that gives me 1.5 hrs on the return and another that has me at LAX 3.5 hrs. I'd rather take the 1.5 if that is a reasonable connect time.
  • When coming in from SYD-LAX, do I need to collect my checked bags, exit security and then re-check my bags and head back through security? Does the inbound SYD-LAX flight land at T5 also?

If anyone could provide some helpfull feedback it would be appreciated. TIA and have a great day!
Old Jun 2, 2010, 2:58 pm

No not all DL flights depart from T-5, flights do occassionally depart from T-6. I believe the 77L usually flys out of T-5 (based on the comments here) and the outer gates to take advantage of the dual jetways.

On the flight to LAX from SYD I understand that you will have to clear CBP with your bags and then recheck into security. There are a number of questions from those heading on to JFK about that question as the DL booking site gives you an option of 1hr40 between landing and the connecting flight.

Someone here did say that DL has their own CBP facility in T-5.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 6:05 am
CDF

Location: Michigan, DL Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Gold
Thank you for your response. I'll double-check with DL when I make the reservation just to be sure. If I take a chance on the shorter layover and miss the connection I'm hoping that DL will just get me on the next flight. If they do then I'm not losing anything by trying to save a couple of hours.

Thanks again!
Old Jun 3, 2010, 7:26 am

Your itinerary should state the terminals involved, but it's always safest to call Delta. I don't know why you'd have to check in again at LAX. I've never had to recheck my bags at a transit point when going domestic-to-international (on the reverse, of course, one has to go through Immigration and Customs at the port of entry). Since your flights are with one airline and were presumably booked together, I can't imagine why you would need to do more than go from one gate to another (which, at LAX, could involve exiting and reentering TSA security gates).

On your return to the U.S., you will definitely have to go through Immigration, pick up your bags, and go through Customs at the port of entry into the U.S. (e.g., LAX). Even if you're going to another U.S., or even internatonal, city. Assuming your bags are checked through to your final destination, and you have the boarding pass for your second flight, you should be able to go to a transit desk after Customs, give your bags to an airline rep, and go to your next gate. You'll have to pass through security again. 1 1/2 hours is cutting it too tight in my opinion. If you miss your connection, your second flight's airline should put you on the next flight with available seats in your fare class. That is not always the very next flight.

Note regarding the above: if your domestic flight is on Southwest, you will need to schlep your own bags, upon arrival at and departure from LAX, since my understanding is that they do not have interline agreements with other airlines to forward bags. I gather all of your flights are on Delta, so you should be able to check your bags through (i.e., for the flight to SYD you shouldn't have to touch your bags at LAX, and on the return just hand them to a rep at the transit desk after Customs).

Note: Delta's Web site lists, under track arrivals/departures, says there are two flights to SYD today: one leaving from Gate A24 (no terminal specified) and the othr from "Terminal 5 Gate 58A." I think there were earlier posts about a tunnel between two terminals at LAX being opened, on an experimental basis.

Last edited by SoCal; Jun 3, 2010 at 7:38 am
Old Jun 3, 2010, 10:24 am

Programs: Dl mm (Gold), Marriott Patinum, UA Silver
Our experience on SYD-LAX-MSP is that there's plenty of time on the flight in from SYD. Arrives in LAX about 5:15, but sit at the gate until 6am, since customs won't allow deplaning until 6am....then there's a quick processing through immigration at this time. You can get "fast process" card if you're in BE, but in no case does it take very long to clear and get baggage.

Clearing security and getting to gate takes about 15 minutes at this hour.

(our flight time was at 8- 2 hours, so had plenty of time for this connection, getting bags, rechecking them, and getting to gate.) Bur outbound flight was Delta, so in same terminal. Stilll have to go outside and reenter due to construction at T6, but a very short walk to security)

However, if arrival is later in day, or connection is to another airline, 90 minutes is really tight, especially if in back of plane or late to gate.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 10:52 am

Programs: 4MM/DM, Marriott Lifetime PM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
I was wondering the same thing. I've been looking at RDU-SYD via LAX and the one flight which shows up on the DL website shows a 37 minute connection time. That is really TIGHT to me ESPECIALLY if there are headwinds across the country.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 11:23 am

Programs: DL PM, SW, Hilton, , UAL PM, AA Gold-skeptic
Connection time at LAX DL - SW

Connecting from Delta to Southwest at LAX.....how much time to get from Terminal 5 to Terminal 1? Walk/bus/Train? Etc.

Thanks!
Old Jun 3, 2010, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by rrz518
Connecting from Delta to Southwest at LAX.....how much time to get from Terminal 5 to Terminal 1? Walk/bus/Train? Etc.

Thanks!
I used to walk from T5 to T2 for connections. I would plan to walk, unless construction is a factor. Can someone from LA weigh in?

Go to Google maps and look at location of the terminals. You walk down to where you are halfway between T5 and T6, and there is a crosswalk. Walk east of the two parking decks, to the west of the Theme Building, then cross the crosswalk to the east end of T2. Then walk down to T1. Total distance will be about 500 yards.

The other option is the bus, which as I recall runs counter-clockwise, so it should get you from T5 to T1 relatively quickly.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 12:53 pm

Here are my observations, based on actual experience with this.

The planned arrival time of this flight has changed from last year. It is now scheduled to arrive at 6:40am. So arrivals prior to 6:00am are no longer likely. The plane is still likely to arrive early.

Immigration in T5 is relatively quick.

Expect baggage to take some time. When I returned last month, my bag did not arrive until about 40 minutes after pulling into the gate. Last year, with the early arrival, they started unloading baggage as soon as the plane was at the gate, so my bag was there when I arrived at customs. That is not likely to happen any more with the later arrival time.

DL to DL baggage recheck is a breeze at LAX. Your bag will be checked through at SYD, so after you clear customs, you just give your bag to the agent and proceed to security.

Security is a disaster at T5 at that time of day. There are several major departures (JFK, ATL) back to back. They had to shuffle all of the JFK passengers to the front of the security line so they did not miss their flight.

Last month I got off of the plane at 6:15am, cleared immigrations by 6:30am cleared customs, and baggage recheck by 7:00am, and cleared security at right at 7:30am. I was on the 8am continuation of DL16 to ATL.

If you are SkyChoice, get in the SkyChoice security line. It will make a lot of difference. I was FO last month, so I was stuck with the masses. It was made worse by getting the TSA line with the trainee with not instructor and waiting a good 10 minutes for a second opinion on the person's carry-on in front of me.

Now DL has DL16 departing LAX at 7:30. I don't know DL expects someone to make a 50-minute international connection unless they fix something at LAX.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by gator21
I was wondering the same thing. I've been looking at RDU-SYD via LAX and the one flight which shows up on the DL website shows a 37 minute connection time. That is really TIGHT to me ESPECIALLY if there are headwinds across the country.
You do stay in the same terminal, and you are checked in for the LAX-SYD leg, and they would likely delay the flight if a significant number of people are delayed, but I would not do that connection, as if you are delayed, there is no later DL flight to SYD.

I remember in August 2001 a planned 5-hour layover for an international connection at LAX became a 35 minute layover. From T8 to the Bradley Terminal, the longest possible ground distance between two terminals at LAX. I ran it.

This was pre 9/11, so things were easier. I made it, because the flight was not closed because of a delay, and the fact they did not need to close international flights as early as they do now, and actually made it to the gate right at scheduled departure time.

My bags arrived two days later.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 1:02 pm

Programs: DL, IB
Have never done the walk, but it looks like it would only be about 10 minutes from door to door. As meh130 suggests, you cut across the parking garages in the middle of the main driveway. What I'd worry about are the long lines to check into WN that spill out onto the sidewalk. Don't know how long those take to clear.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by a4or3s
Have never done the walk, but it looks like it would only be about 10 minutes from door to door. As meh130 suggests, you cut across the parking garages in the middle of the main driveway. What I'd worry about are the long lines to check into WN that spill out onto the sidewalk. Don't know how long those take to clear.
I'd give it 15 minutes gate to Terminal. Obviously much longer if checked bags are involved.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.