Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Los Angeles (LAX): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2013, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Delta-Delta Minimum Connecting Times at LAX
(Note the below times apply only if both flights are DL-marketed; the MCTs may be different for flights marketed by other airlines)

Domestic - Domestic: 40 minutes
Exception:
  • If you're connecting from T2/T3 to TBIT, then the MCT is 1 hour.
Domestic - International: 45 minutes
Exception:
  • If you're connecting from T2/T3 to TBIT, then the MCT is 1 hour, unless you're flying ATL-LAX-PPT or JFK-LAX-PPT, in which case MCT is 45 minutes even if connecting from T2/T3 to TBIT.
International - Domestic: 1 hour 30 minutes
Exception:
  • If you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it is considered a domestic arrival for MCT purposes and the domestic - domestic connection times above apply.
International - International: 1 hour 30 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it is considered a domestic arrival for MCT purposes and the domestic - international connection times above apply.
  • If your connection is from TBIT to TBIT, the MCT is 2 hours for an international-international connection.
  • If you're arriving from SYD and not connecting from TBIT to TBIT, the MCT is 1 hour, 50 minutes for an international-international connection. (If you're arriving from SYD and the connection is TBIT to TBIT, the 2 hour MCT in the bullet point above applies.)
  • If you're on one of the following flight routings, and the first flight arrives into TBIT, the MCT is 1 hour, 50 minutes for an international-international connection:
    • CUN-LAX-BNE
    • CUN-LAX-MEL
    • CUN-LAX-SJO
    • CUN-LAX-SYD
    • PVR-LAX-HND
    • HND-LAX-LHR
(These MCTs are accurate as of August 27, 2023.)

Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Los Angeles (LAX): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2008, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by sammy0623
just between these 2 terminals, or all of them?
The only tunnel I am familiar with is between 5 and 6.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 10:11 am

Programs: Delta, Starwood, Delta DM
EASY....I exited gate 57, walked about 100' to the CR, got my boarding pass and was back at gate 59 for my flight with plenty time to spare.....
Old Feb 7, 2008, 1:52 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, HHonors, Amex MR; Browns, Cavs, Indians, and Buckeyes Season Ticket Holder
Originally Posted by AndyTLe
Just between Terminal 5 & 6. There are no tunnels that connect the entire airport.
Originally Posted by indufan
The only tunnel I am familiar with is between 5 and 6.
just wondering...i was there twice last year, and needed to go with family to the PC in T6...i didn't know if i was just uniformed or if there was only the one tunnel...i severely dislike airports that are unconnected like that!
Old Feb 7, 2008, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by sammy0623
just wondering...i was there twice last year, and needed to go with family to the PC in T6...i didn't know if i was just uniformed or if there was only the one tunnel...i severely dislike airports that are unconnected like that!
But seriously, I don't know if there are other tunnels. I have never been in any other terminal other than 5 and 6. I guess I have never seen one between 5 and 4 or 6 and 7. The one between 5 and 6 was closed for a while (presumably some stupid security thing) but was open when I was there a few weeks ago. Even though I have walked past it dozens of times, I have never actually entered the tunnel.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 3:30 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.77MM, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by indufan
But seriously, I don't know if there are other tunnels. I have never been in any other terminal other than 5 and 6. I guess I have never seen one between 5 and 4 or 6 and 7. The one between 5 and 6 was closed for a while (presumably some stupid security thing) but was open when I was there a few weeks ago. Even though I have walked past it dozens of times, I have never actually entered the tunnel.
I've heard there's a T4-T5 tunnel, but it's been closed for sometime. There's a post about it somewhere on FT, just too lazy to look it up (and it's closed AFAIK).

Originally Posted by mersk862
Maybe it's me, but the tunnel just seems to take forever to walk through (maybe because it's all off-white and there's never anyone in there...). Still, I've done the walk from T6 to T5 plenty of times (better food over in the UA gates and I like the President's Club over there...not to mention it stays open for the 1255a redeye to ATL).
Food is way better...can only take so much CPK.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mersk862
Maybe it's me, but the tunnel just seems to take forever to walk through (maybe because it's all off-white and there's never anyone in there...). Still, I've done the walk from T6 to T5 plenty of times (better food over in the UA gates and I like the President's Club over there...not to mention it stays open for the 1255a redeye to ATL).
Why would you want to go through security again? It just isn't logical. @:-)
Old Feb 7, 2008, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by RSSrsvp
Why would you want to go through security again? It just isn't logical. @:-)
I don't go through security again. The T5-T6 tunnel is open, so I can use that without reclearing security and am over in T6 within 5 minutes of leaving T5. Might see one TSA person, but they're just walking, not screening me. Once in T6, I can access T7 and T8 without leaving security since it's all connected (bear to the right of the security checkpoints when leaving T6 and you stay airside, there's a walkway above the UA check-in counters there and you end up in the UA gates by the Red Carpet Club there; do the same when heading to T8 although there really isn't anything in T8 worth seeing).

Nice and easy that you don't need to clear security between T5 and T8 now that the tunnel is open. Only time I go through security at LAX now is when I'm leaving Los Angeles.

Trust me...I try to avoid TSA Checkpoints...going through once is enough.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 6:35 pm

Just to re-iterate/clarify what has been stated above.

Terminal 5 and Terminal 6 are connected via an underground tunnel. You get to the tunnel by going about halfway down each terminal and then going DOWN.

From Terminal 6 you can walk, above ground, to terminal 7 and 8. So basically once you are past security you can access everything in terminals 5, 6, 7, and 8 without having to reclear security.

This can also help if the security line at your terminal is really really bad, it can make sense to check in through the security at another terminal and then cross from the other side. This of course makes sense if you are traveling light and don't mind the walk.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 4:04 pm

Programs: Delta PM, HH Silver, Marriott Rewards
DTW-MSP-LAX-SBA... connection time advice in LAX

In June I'll be traveling from DTW to SBA (out on Tuesday, back on Thursday)...

The LAX-SBA let is Alaska Airlines... coming back I have a choice of a 1 hour 10' layover in LAX and 2 hour 31' in MSP or essentially the reverse... 2 hour 16' in LAX and then 1 hour 33' in MSP.

Any advice from someone who has done this as to connection time within LAX that would make me opt for more time there and less in MSP?

Does it make any difference?
Old Mar 7, 2008, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Do you have WorldClub membership?
Old Mar 7, 2008, 5:05 pm
ed1

Programs: NW: SE & WC
Doesn't the AS (T3) to NW (T2) require clearing security?

Also if you have a WC membership or are in paid/award (not UG) F and on AS you can visit their BR in T3.

EDIT:
Without a WC membership, I'd rather spend a longer layover in MSP, but if I'm correct about having to clear security in T2, I'd opt for the longer layover in LAX, just to be safe.

Last edited by ed1; Mar 7, 2008 at 5:10 pm
Old Mar 7, 2008, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Isn't LAX-SBA on an American Eagle flight that requires not only reclearing security (for T3 or T4) but a bus to the hangar?
Old Mar 7, 2008, 5:16 pm
ed1

Programs: NW: SE & WC
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Isn't LAX-SBA on an American Eagle flight that requires not only reclearing security (for T3 or T4) but a bus to the hangar?
I thought there was a connector bus (inside security) for American Eagle T4 that connects to T2.

EDIT: There is a connector bus T4 to T2 for American Eagle flights: http://www.nwa.com/travel/trave/airports/LAX.shtml

Last edited by ed1; Mar 7, 2008 at 5:25 pm
Old Mar 8, 2008, 6:08 am

Programs: Delta PM, HH Silver, Marriott Rewards
World Club Membership

Yes, I do.

Originally Posted by slippahs
Do you have WorldClub membership?
Old Mar 8, 2008, 6:16 am

Programs: Delta DM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ed1
EDIT: There is a connector bus T4 to T2 for American Eagle flights: http://www.nwa.com/travel/trave/airports/LAX.shtml
Correct, the bus ride does not require re-clearing security. That American Eagle terminal is a pretty sad place to spend any amount of time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.