Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Link to open 2020 and beyond version of this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...20-beyond.html

My (LoganFlyer's) guide to maximizing your bump chances on Delta:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30484249-post1713.html

(The concise version:

1. Use the App to see if more people are looking for seats than there are seats available. As part of the Customer Commitment, gate agents, phone res agents, and tickets agents must tell you if a flight is overbooked if you ask. (They don't need to say by how many seats.)
2. Do everything you can to get on the volunteer list through OLCI or a kiosk at the airport, since some GAs use that list.
3. Talk to the GA as soon as the gate opens up--don't wait for them to make an announcement.
4. Don't be afraid to negotiate with the GA.)
Print Wikipost

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2013, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by alben
Two days ago My wife, daughter, and I were traveling MSP - LAX - KOA - HNL on award tickets. The first segments were DL and the final segment was HA. The segment from LAX to KOA was very oversold. Delta was offering $400. I volunteered if they could put us on the next flight to HNL. The Delta GA said they would not offer me any comp because it was a more direct flight. Against my better judgement I accepted because I would arrive in HNL two hours earlier. I asked the GA if she would guarantee that our checked luggage would follow. She said yes. So we took the offer of going direct from LAX to HNL. Well our luggage did not arrive. Our luggage arrived 24 hours later to our hotel in HNL.

So is there any recourse for the inconvenience they caused me for no luggage for a day and the hassle of me having to track it down? Also it irritates me that they would not offer me any comp because I was on award tickets but they kept offering others $400, free hotels, and transportation.
If you can be rerouted on a VDB to a earlier arrival or a more direct flight there is no compensation.

You can claim for delayed bags but you need receipts for buying necessities.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 8:32 am

Programs: AA Plat Exec
Originally Posted by tentseller
If you can be rerouted on a VDB to a earlier arrival or a more direct flight there is no compensation.
I got $300 for a direct flight rebooking (on US Airways) that got me home 2 hours earlier than with my original routing (which had 1 connection), without asking for it.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 8:47 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond

Your compensation is what you negotiate. Any VDB can include a variety of offsets - better routing, meal vouchers, hotels, travel vouchers and even cash. If you are offered something and you dont accept it, then thats your choice. If you do accept it, again, your choice. Until it becomes IDB, its a negotiation. What the OP accepted was a direct routing with no aqdditional copmpensation - he could have said no.

As for delayed luggage, I've never sent receipts - I simply told them what my out of pocket expenses were and got a check - has happened only twice in the past 4 years with Delta - but YMMV.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 8:50 am

Programs: AA Platinum, DL Platinum, UA Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
[QUOTE=alben;20410680]Two days ago My wife, daughter, and I were traveling MSP - LAX - KOA - HNL on award tickets. The first segments were DL and the final segment was HA. The segment from LAX to KOA was very oversold. Delta was offering $400. I volunteered if they could put us on the next flight to HNL. The Delta GA said they would not offer me any comp because it was a more direct flight. Against my better judgement I accepted because I would arrive in HNL two hours earlier. I asked the GA if she would guarantee that our checked luggage would follow. She said yes. So we took the offer of going direct from LAX to HNL. Well our luggage did not arrive. Our luggage arrived 24 hours later to our hotel in HNL.

So is there any recourse for the inconvenience they caused me for no luggage for a day and the hassle of me having to track it down? Also it irritates me that they would not offer me any comp because I was on award tickets but they kept offering others $400, free hotels, and transportation.[/QUOTE]

I would have said no, only with comp. BTW it wasn't because you had award seats, its just games that delta plays. They act like they are doing you a favor.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bicostal
If you do accept it, again, your choice. Until it becomes IDB, its a negotiation. What the OP accepted was a direct routing with no aqdditional copmpensation - he could have said no.
However, if they end up doing an IDB and get you in earlier than your original flight, they owe you nothing. No IDB compensation is mandated if they get you to your final destination within an hour or earlier of your originally scheduled arrival.

You can always try to negotiate something, but just be aware that you don't really have a lot of bargaining power.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LA2CDG

I would have said no, only with comp. BTW it wasn't because you had award seats, its just games that delta plays. They act like they are doing you a favor.
Yes, how awful of Delta to offer more direct routing and an earlier arrival.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by LBJ
However, if they end up doing an IDB and get you in earlier than your original flight, they owe you nothing. No IDB compensation is mandated if they get you to your final destination within an hour or earlier of your originally scheduled arrival.

You can always try to negotiate something, but just be aware that you don't really have a lot of bargaining power.
That's not exactly accurate - especially in this case. No IDB compensation is required if:

(1) No compensation is required if the carrier offers alternate transportation that, at the time the arrangement is made, is planned to arrive at the airport of the passenger's first stopover, or if none, the airport of the passenger's final destination not later than one hour after the planned arrival time of the passenger's original flight;
In this case, KOA was the first stopover and thus in the case detailed here (direct flight to the final destination) does not meet the "no IDB comp" requirements.

There are many reasons why a passenger may want to refuse a more direct routing - I for one have made that decision to allow me time to have a telecon mid-trip that would not have been possible had I flown direct. I planned the layover for that reason. I also planned a slightly longer connect at ATL to allow dinner at One Flew South prior to an ongoing flight to the west coast. In both situations, a reroute to a direct flight would not have been desirable and I would have declined a reroute without compensation and had it happened under IDB I would have argued for IDB compensation.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 9:20 am

Programs: AA Plat Exec
Originally Posted by LBJ
Yes, how awful of Delta to offer more direct routing and an earlier arrival.
It depends on a case by case basis. Let's say you have to meet friends at the destination airport, getting there sooner may not be a benefit (lex: it does not have a SkyClub lounge so i would rather have 2hr layover to an airport that have a lounge). Or let's say I had secured EC seats on both flight. With the direct rebooking, I could end up in a middle seat that does not recline... In that case, I would have a point to negotiate a compensation.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's not exactly accurate - especially in this case. No IDB compensation is required if:

In this case, KOA was the first stopover and thus in the case detailed here (direct flight to the final destination) does not meet the "no IDB comp" requirements.

There are many reasons why a passenger may want to refuse a more direct routing - I for one have made that decision to allow me time to have a telecon mid-trip that would not have been possible had I flown direct. I planned the layover for that reason. I also planned a slightly longer connect at ATL to allow dinner at One Flew South prior to an ongoing flight to the west coast. In both situations, a reroute to a direct flight would not have been desirable and I would have declined a reroute without compensation and had it happened under IDB I would have argued for IDB compensation.
Sorry, but you are the one who is not exactly accurate as DOT has helpfully defined the term "stopover".

"Stopover means a deliberate interruption of a journey by the passenger, scheduled to exceed 4 hours, at a point between the place of departure and the final destination."
Old Mar 13, 2013, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sorka
It depends on a case by case basis. Let's say you have to meet friends at the destination airport, getting there sooner may not be a benefit (lex: it does not have a SkyClub lounge so i would rather have 2hr layover to an airport that have a lounge). Or let's say I had secured EC seats on both flight. With the direct rebooking, I could end up in a middle seat that does not recline... In that case, I would have a point to negotiate a compensation.
Oh, I definitely agree that there are cases where it could be less desirable and you would have a case to try to negotiate something. However, it's kind of silly to suggest that, in general, DL is somehow being mean and vindictive by offering a non-stop with an earlier arrival. Most pax would welcome that assuming they could get the same class of service and similar seats.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by LBJ
Sorry, but you are the one who is not exactly accurate as DOT has helpfully defined the term "stopover".

"Stopover means a deliberate interruption of a journey by the passenger, scheduled to exceed 4 hours, at a point between the place of departure and the final destination."
Yes - you are correct. My bad.

This is interesting in that an airline could, if they wanted, avoid paying any compensation in a variety of cases. On Delta there are dozens of routings that include ATL or MSP or DTW as transfer points between the East Coast and West Coast. In the case when LGA-ATL is oversold, Delta could reroute my LGA-ATL-SAN to go LGA-MSP-SAN as long as I arrive within an hour of my original schedule. For the morning flights as an example, I would go from 757's and a sedate 2.5 hours at ATL to Mad Dogs through MSP with a 65 minute connection.

Worse, had I booked the KGA-MSP-SAN, I could end up being traded to a 37 minute connect in DTW arriving SAN earlier. Had I wanted to have a short connect in DTW, I would have booked it but at my age, 37 minutes between airplanes at DTW is an experience I purposely avoid.

Rerouting a passenger against their wishes is a non-compensable IDB. This would stink if you had plans at the connecting airport....or if the passenger preferred the original routing.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 4:29 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I think when you start playing the game, you just have to know that's what it is. They don't care about you, they care about filling the plane and moving on with their lives. If you feel you are entitled to huge benefits financially or otherwise because you're taking the flight one hour later, or thirty minutes earlier that's silly...provided you have "volunteered" and not been forced to do this. If you don't like what they are offering, you can always say no.

Interestingly enough, anyone know how they determine involuntary bumps? Does it relate t check in time? Or if you have a seat?
Old Mar 13, 2013, 4:51 pm

Programs: Delta Skymile DM, Marriott Platinum, PC Gold, Avis Chairman's Club, National EE

Not true in my experience. A number of times, I have received compensation and gotten home early!
Old Mar 14, 2013, 5:01 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Teamstone
Not true in my experience. A number of times, I have received compensation and gotten home early!
Me too. A few years ago I took a bump off the SMF-SLC portion of a SMF-SLC-PHX routing and was put on a US SMF-PHX nonstop arriving home several hours early and received a $200 voucher. As others have said, it's all about what you negotiate. Frankly, I'd say "thanks but no thanks" and hope they got desperate and changed their position.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, DL Platinum, UA Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Yes - you are correct. My bad.

This is interesting in that an airline could, if they wanted, avoid paying any compensation in a variety of cases. On Delta there are dozens of routings that include ATL or MSP or DTW as transfer points between the East Coast and West Coast. In the case when LGA-ATL is oversold, Delta could reroute my LGA-ATL-SAN to go LGA-MSP-SAN as long as I arrive within an hour of my original schedule. For the morning flights as an example, I would go from 757's and a sedate 2.5 hours at ATL to Mad Dogs through MSP with a 65 minute connection.

Worse, had I booked the KGA-MSP-SAN, I could end up being traded to a 37 minute connect in DTW arriving SAN earlier. Had I wanted to have a short connect in DTW, I would have booked it but at my age, 37 minutes between airplanes at DTW is an experience I purposely avoid.

Rerouting a passenger against their wishes is a non-compensable IDB. This would stink if you had plans at the connecting airport....or if the passenger preferred the original routing.
Wow you had a flight from Kananga (KGA) Republic of Congo to MSP? Is this a new flight for Delta?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.