Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award Ticket Success - Post It Here

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2013, 8:40 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Aadvantage, Skymiles, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG, Amtrak, Hertz
Originally Posted by AnitaBryant63
Previously, I had been using AF to find availability on flights for using my SkyMiles, but now that isn't as easy as it used to be. I've got about 500,000 SkyMiles to burn through and am willing to go anywhere in the world. What are my options for easiest methods of using SkyMiles? I hear going to Australia on Virgin Australia is an easy use for skymiles. What are some other options for international travel?
I find AeroMexico redemptions really easy, with great availability. From NYC, you can get to Brazil easily via a stopover in Mexico City. You can also get to EZE and SCL, but I find the best availability on the the MEX-GRU route.

I'm trying to figure out the same thing myself, and just blogged about my options here:

https://travelbugdiaryblog.wordpress...next-big-trip/

(I know, it's a shameless plug! No I don't have credit card links. It's a hobby blog.)

I only have 100K SkyPesos, and I'm interested in economy redemptions, so not all of my ideas will apply to you.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 9:07 am

I hear the visa process for Brazil is pretty painful. Expensive?
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:01 am

Not that bad really. $180 and Some paperwork involved but the visa is good for ten years
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:55 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Aadvantage, Skymiles, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG, Amtrak, Hertz
I hear the visa process for Brazil is pretty painful. Expensive?
I got mine at a the Brazilian consulate in New York. They only take money orders. The closest post office for money orders is in Rockefeller Plaza. Apparently, the consulate sends them a bit of business, because when I asked for my $140 money order (this was two years ago), she immediately asked me when I was going to Brazil. I also needed a passport photo and a printed flight confirmation. They only take visa applications for a few hours each day, and then you have to come back to pick up your visa.

It is a hassle, I generated pretend doctor's appointments to leave the office twice for the visa rigamarole. But if you line everything up correctly (show up during their limited office hours with your photo, money order, and flight confirmation ready), it's straightforward.

Finally, Brazil was amazing. I didn't expect to like it, I was worried about the crime... it wasn't even on my bucket list, I mainly went because the award ticket availability made sense... anyway, I fell in love with the place. The landscape is amazing, and there's a great vibe. And none of those landscapes can be properly captured in photos (IMO). You know what the Eiffel Tower will look like, but a place a like Iguassu Falls is a complete surprise. Heck, I'm a vegetarian, I ate mainly cheese sandwiches there. I still loved it.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 1:08 pm

How do you book flights on AeroMexico with SkyMiles? Do I do it on Delta.com?
Old Jan 18, 2013, 1:33 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Indeed. As with all partner searches, the award calendar won't be of any help. Try day-by-day, and search for your segment to MEX first and then the onward segment from MEX. Otherwise, DL will try to force you onto their more expensive flights.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 2:40 pm

Yes. Availability now appears online. You need to search leg by leg, then contruct your ticket. I'm in NYC, so I search like this

1. JFK->MEX nonstop
2. MEX->GRU nonstop
3. GRU->MEX nonstop
4. MEX->JFK nonstop

The search engine will not put together a JFK-MEX-GRU itinerary on its own, even if the ticket is available. Once you know which segments work, enter all 4 into the multiple destinations search to construct a ticket. You'll need the "nonstop flights" box checked at all times.

I've been using GRU as an example, but I'm pretty sure AM is also planning a flight to Rio. And they fly all over South America, it's just that I see the best award availability for GRU.

Good luck!
Old Jan 18, 2013, 4:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
OK, based on the AM example, I just checked these segments:

1. SFO-MEX AM Business is 40k
2. MEX-EZE AM Business is 100k

So would the whole route be $100k? This itinerary doesn't work because the first segment gets arrives at 7 AM or something like that and the second segment doesn't depart MEX until around 11 PM.

The MEX-GRU segment is also departing late at night.

Is the AM Business class product good? Do they have lie flats?

OK, just checked and the MEX-GRU and MEX-EZE flights are 777s with 170-degree seats.

No nonstop MEX-GIG.

Is GRU closer to Iguazu Falls?
Old Jan 18, 2013, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by wco81
OK, based on the AM example, I just checked these segments:

1. SFO-MEX AM Business is 40k
2. MEX-EZE AM Business is 100k

So would the whole route be $100k? This itinerary doesn't work because the first segment gets arrives at 7 AM or something like that and the second segment doesn't depart MEX until around 11 PM.

The MEX-GRU segment is also departing late at night.

Is the AM Business class product good? Do they have lie flats?

OK, just checked and the MEX-GRU and MEX-EZE flights are 777s with 170-degree seats.

No nonstop MEX-GIG.

Is GRU closer to Iguazu Falls?
Yes....GRU is slightly closer to Iguazu and make sure you tack on a GOL GRU-IGU segment on your DL award ticket!!!
Old Jan 18, 2013, 7:06 pm

Programs: DL PM, AS MVPG, Hyatt DIA, PC PLAT, Club Carl Gold, HH Gold, Accor Dia
This isn't correct - your connection can have a layover of up to 24hrs before it counts as a stop-over.

In fact I have booked this very same routing before.

SFO-MEX (dp 1a arv 7a)
MEX-EZE/GRU (dp 10p ar following morning).

If you want to do GRU though I would look into the KE LAX-GRU flight its got fully flat seats and I find it an easier itinerary than the poorly timed SFO-MEX flight which leaves SFO at 1a flies for 3.5 hrs and lands at MEX at 7a - all on a 737.

if you want to do the AM flights look into SFO-LAX-MEX (on either AS or AM) - S.America.

Best, Olyflyer
Old Jan 18, 2013, 8:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by OLYflyer
This isn't correct - your connection can have a layover of up to 24hrs before it counts as a stop-over.

In fact I have booked this very same routing before.

SFO-MEX (dp 1a arv 7a)
MEX-EZE/GRU (dp 10p ar following morning).

If you want to do GRU though I would look into the KE LAX-GRU flight its got fully flat seats and I find it an easier itinerary than the poorly timed SFO-MEX flight which leaves SFO at 1a flies for 3.5 hrs and lands at MEX at 7a - all on a 737.

if you want to do the AM flights look into SFO-LAX-MEX (on either AS or AM) - S.America.

Best, Olyflyer
I meant it doesn't work as in I don't want the long layover.

Does the KE LAX-GRU flights show up on delta.com? I'm only seeing DL metal, rerouting through a US city.

Does KE also fly from LAX to GIG OR EZE?
Old Jan 18, 2013, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by xmurphy
JFK-NRT DL C
NRT-ICN KE C
ICN-RGN KE C

RGN-SGN VN Y
SGN-NRT VN Y
NRT-HNL DL Y

Total 85k miles + 121,1$ taxes.
Shouldn't this be 95K?
Old Jan 18, 2013, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Recently booked the following:

DCA-LAX on AS in A
LAX-MEL on DJ in Z
MEL-BNE on DJ in Z
SYD-LAX on DJ in Z
LAX-DCA on AS in A

150,000 DL miles + $139.40. Four-day stayover in MEL and booked a BNE-SYD ticket on Qantas for 4500 Avios.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 9:54 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
I was going to start a new thread because with all the uproar about changes this was good news -- plus I was too lazy to find the "Award Success" threat but there it was on the front page.

So today She Who Must Be Obeyed informed me that She was in the the mood to visit Her mother in a couple of weeks. Sure enough, a 25K (low) ticket LAX-DSM was available. Booked it, Dano.

So I emailed my Bro' and cousin that it was time for Beer on The Patio™ and sure enough MCO-LAX and BUF-LAX (he lives in YCM but no DL service) were also available in low that weekend.

Three low tickets for three different cities around the same time -- and I was not flying. I guess I should buy a lottery ticket this weekend

Last edited by TheMadBrewer; Jan 19, 2013 at 5:41 pm
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:05 pm

Programs: DL PM, AS MVPG, Hyatt DIA, PC PLAT, Club Carl Gold, HH Gold, Accor Dia
Does the KE LAX-GRU flights show up on delta.com? I'm only seeing DL metal, rerouting through a US city.

Does KE also fly from LAX to GIG OR EZE?

KE flies 3x weekly to GRU only - leaving LAX M,W,F returning from GRU T,Th,Sa. KE doesn't fly to GIG or EZE.

It can all be booked online at dl.com. Use search by schedule for LAX-GRU when you find dates with availability then just use multi-city to put it all together. If you are PM or DM book as much as you can online first and then call back in to add intra-SA segments for flights on Gol if necessary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.