Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Delta Forum Lounge Thread — Everybody is Welcome! 2005-2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Delta Forum Lounge Thread — Everybody is Welcome! 2005-2018

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2016, 9:58 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SuperG1955
For the rest of the Lounger's (Loungerer in Norwegian) I just told MikeMsp that I hadn't heard people speaking Norwegian in Brugge, mostly Dutch. I also said that I couldn't afford to live in Norway, and I'm used to New York prices.
Du sa også: “Jeg har også problemer med fremmedspråk, spesielt sør amerikansk engelsk” — og jeg bor i Atlanta.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 11:38 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by jrl767
I'll see if I can bring this big gun from Edinburgh
Impressive! Can you get it in your checked luggage?

Originally Posted by jackplum
I was in Brugge (Bruges) last year and loved it. I hope you had a chance to climb the Belfort. I found it interesting when the spiral staircase changed direction!
Not yet - it's on our schedule for this morning before it gets too hot (temp in mid/high 80's).

Originally Posted by WWads
Are you just passing through NJ, without staying a night?

You should be protected by the Firearms Owners Protection Act, which prevents gun control states from harassing people who are just passing through.
I'm a multi-state legal resident & have a NJ FID. Mags over 15 are illegal in NJ. No point in creating a problem.

NJ and NYC are the worst violators of the Federal Law and the NRA won't do anything about a legal fight.

Originally Posted by kipper
We can use our sportsmen's club. We'll bring an M1 Carbine, a VZ.58, a few CZ's, and a Walther or two.
That's be great.

Originally Posted by dzflyer
And when the dragon asks what credentials do all of you guys have to get in the SC we can say we are all guesting each other. Maybe we can also have enough people in the SC to the hit the max # of people allowed in the SC so that one person has to leave before another can enter.
You should have been in the IAH Club at the last CO DO.

Originally Posted by Canarsie
Du sa også: “Jeg har også problemer med fremmedspråk, spesielt sør amerikansk engelsk” — og jeg bor i Atlanta.
Is that Brooklynese? I can't find a translator.

Ah, the problems with software. English is such a screwed up language that it can be difficult to translate. I'm astounded that so many people around the world are so fluent in English, although they do get caught by subtleties and interpretations.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 5:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Will 'dangerous women' be there?
Maybe.
That's be great.
If you think of anything else, let me know.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
tourists are blown away by the prices.
So are many of the natives!

That's probably why NIN (Norway in a Nutshell) and the plethora of cruise ships developed.
Coastal steamers (Hurtigruten) were the traditional way to travel in Norway from Bergen to Kirkenes. They are a much more efficient way to get around, and the trains extend north only to Bodø.

I think that one of the major problems is that Norway was always a poor country until the oil boom and it's like the populace has what I think of as an "economic depression mentality". I grew up with that in the 40's after WWII so I understand it somewhat.
Bingo, it was still in its post war depression when we were there in 1960. Where else could an E-5 (my father) fill his house with lovely custom-made teak furniture?

The oil boom is a two-edged sword. After decades of investing it only in infrastructure, they are starting to spend it on social services. And when it runs out?

Thanks to the oil boom, though, the highways have been improved to where you can drive to all the northern cities on the mainland, and they have built many bridges & highways out in the islands. "Bomstasjon" (toll station) is one word you learn to loathe on E6.

Now, they won't take what they consider menial jobs. I noticed that there were many Norwegian managers but that the workers were imported, mostly from eastern Europe and those dealing with tourists were expected to have English fluency but no knowledge of Norwegian was required. We took a guided walking tour in Bergen and someone asked the guide what the people who lived in the fjords and rural villages did for a living - her answer was; "Nothing, the government provides for them." I don't know if this was fact or an attitude issue.
Would have to disagree with that. Norway has embraced immigrants, and there are many in the population centers, especially Pakistanis in the south & Russians in the north. But outside the cities there are still countless Norwegians living normal lives.

I found that the train from Myrdal to Oslo was not as dramatic as a winter drive north of the Arctic Circle on the Dalton Highway in Alaska.
That's not really "north" in Norway. North starts north of Trondheim, on one of two routes: Take Kystriksveien (the coastal highway -- ferries, islands) north from Steinkjer much of the way to Bodø, or take E6 generally in the interior. Hint: Kystriksveien is much more scenic. From Bodø, take the 3 hour ferry out to Å i Lofoten & drive up through the Lofoten & Vesterålen, and head for Tromsø.

If you're looking for the midnight sun, fuhgedaboudit. It's usually obscured by clouds and mountains. We saw it once in two weeks above the Arctic Circle.

While many don't seem to like it, probably because they don't know about it, the Kon-Tiki was my fave. I remember both reading the NY Times every day on their progress and listening to their morse code transmissions when I could get their signal. It was an exciting expedition. (For anyone reading who isn't familiar with it, that was in 1947.)
Kon-Tiki & Viking museums were favorites as a kid. As an adult, I'd have to add the Fram & Folkemuseum to the list. Also on Bygdøy penninsula is "Vidkins Gimle", Vidkun Quisling's mansion; it was being redeveloped as a holocaust museum and not yet open to the public last time we were there.

Things not to miss elsewhere in Oslo are Frogner Park, the Resistance Museum (the inside story on the Norwegian resistance movement in WW II) and the Munch Museum.

The Royal Palace is part of a public park (people even hang out on the steps) and is open to the public when they are at their summer palace.

There are a few places in the north that we didn't get to, but maybe in a few years....
Don't miss Bodø, Lofoten, Vestarålen & Tromsø. Skip Hammerfest.

Can't vouch for Vadsø & Kirkenes. I would expect them to be architecturally blah (like Hammerfest) thanks to Hitler's scorched earth policy. I have heard that Kirkenes is an easy stepping stone to getting a Russian stamp in your passport without the visa or hassle; day trips to the Russian side are available.

Last edited by MikeMpls; Jul 20, 2016 at 1:30 pm
Old Jul 20, 2016, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Will 'dangerous women' be there?
But here it seems we have levels of dangerous women.

Level one is the simple shooter.

Level two is the shooter with a boxing coach.

I don't want to visualize level three. I might have nightmares.

I learned a little bit of Norwegian before the trip (thanks to my friends) but I've become adept at using Google Translator.
What you really need is a pre-school kid whose mind has not yet been biased by alphabets. The languages are soooooooo similar, that if you know how to pronounce it, Norwegian often makes sense as English, albeit somewhat stilted English.

Impressive! Can you get it in your checked luggage?
Only Kryptonium Medallions can check 2 suitcases & a cannon.

Last edited by MikeMpls; Jul 20, 2016 at 1:48 pm
Old Jul 20, 2016, 1:34 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by MikeMpls

Level two is the shooter with a box coach.

Liam Neeson from Taken wearing a wig and skirt. You're welcome.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 3:03 pm

LOL!
Old Jul 20, 2016, 3:47 pm

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I've gone shooting exactly once -- it was one of those places in either Reno or LV for tourists. I have a lot more experience drinking shots
Old Jul 21, 2016, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Zorak
Liam Neeson from Taken wearing a wig and skirt. You're welcome.
saw the following t-shirt in a shop window near the EDI Royal Mile yesterday -- if we go past it today, I will be sure to snap a photo and post it

"It's a KILT ... if I were wearing underwear it would be a skirt"
Old Jul 21, 2016, 4:44 am

I've gone shooting exactly once -- it was one of those places in either Reno or LV for tourists. I have a lot more experience drinking shots
We can have shots too. Just not at the range. Afterwards though...
Old Jul 21, 2016, 6:59 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere

The shooter with a boxing coach got an SSSS on her BP in BRU this AM.

Based on her conduct for the rest of the day, I'd say that level three was reached. What was really funny (to me) was that she got her GE Renewal approval notice a few days ago. She also has NEXUS.

Note: we cleared JFK arrivals in 15 min, WITH checked luggage. The regular lines at T4 were up the ramp and at least 150' down the hallway. GE rocks!
Old Jul 21, 2016, 7:10 pm

Note: we cleared JFK arrivals in 15 min, WITH checked luggage. The regular lines at T4 were up the ramp and at least 150' down the hallway. GE rocks!
Someone said in this thread that the GE line was now combined with the general US citizens line -- sounds like that was not the case?
Old Jul 21, 2016, 7:19 pm

Based on her conduct for the rest of the day, I'd say that level three was reached. What was really funny (to me) was that she got her GE Renewal approval notice a few days ago. She also has NEXUS.

LOL!
Old Jul 21, 2016, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
... t-shirt in a shop window near the EDI Royal Mile ...
as promised (or threatened )

train to London this morning, LHR-SLC-SEA on Sun afternoon
Attached Images  
Old Jul 22, 2016, 12:07 am

Someone said in this thread that the GE line was now combined with the general US citizens line -- sounds like that was not the case?
JFK T4 has 3 lines. Left lane is GE, Diplomatic, Crew, and now Mobile Passport Control (which at a glance seems to be free GE at selected airports), Center lane is US Passport, etc and Right Lane is Non-US Passport, etc. I don't pay much attention to the non GE it since we've had GE for over 5 years but I don't remember any difference in recent years. The wheelchairs used the GE and created somewhat of a block but it was fairly easy to get by them.

There were many empty GE Kiosks to us so no wait.

as promised (or threatened )

train to London this morning, LHR-SLC-SEA on Sun afternoon
Enjoy London. Safe travels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.