Community
Wiki Posts
Search

T4 at JFK-- What a Nightmare!!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2016, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by KL803
Great info there SDQBound! I reckon, printing the BP will be using a friendly machine rather than an unfriendly human being? I haven't done this in quite a while, but you have to swipe your passport and the machine will find your reservation and then print the BP, right?
Passport, credit card, record locator number, or frequent flyer number; the machine will take any of those.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 11:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by sethb
Passport, credit card, record locator number, or frequent flyer number; the machine will take any of those.
However, I find that often the kiosk doesn't work with my FF number and I must use the PNR to retrieve the reservation.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 7:26 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by KL803
My son and his friend (both having no status at all and are really novice flyers) are about to fly from MNL to CAN to JFK and finally TPA for participating in the J-1 Work and Travel Program.
Note that while T4 now has immigration kiosks for US residents and some visitors, traveling on J-1 they will not be able to use them. It will probably take longer than average for them to be processed... it goes without saying that they should have all relevant paperwork on hand in case the immigration officer wants to see it. 2h40 should still be plenty of time, but in the event of a misconnect DL will just put them on the next available flight.

Also, they should double check their departure gate before getting on the shuttle to T2... it's possible the flight could be moved to operate out of T4 (and then no shuttle is required).

Thank you so much for your answers! I really hope that this doesn't turn out to be a nightmare
It probably won't be a nightmare, but they should know what to do if something doesn't go as planned.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by WWads
It's really surprising to me that some SkyTeam carriers are in a different terminal. One would think that Delta would have done a better job at trying to get all into T4.
Moving an airline around is not that easy. Surprised anyone things Delta has that much pull to manage an airport like JFK.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 8:47 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by bennos
Note that while T4 now has immigration kiosks for US residents and some visitors, traveling on J-1 they will not be able to use them. It will probably take longer than average for them to be processed... it goes without saying that they should have all relevant paperwork on hand in case the immigration officer wants to see it. 2h40 should still be plenty of time, but in the event of a misconnect DL will just put them on the next available flight.
This. J-1 (and specially the first entry as a J-1 visa holder) tends to take a longer time, as the officer has to work everything out including multiple stamps and signatures in the paperwork, some verification, and some data entry. From what I recall (11 years ago) it took a long time the first time, any subsequent entry to the US took me 5 minutes or so, and if it was my lucky day, I got to sit down for half an hour waiting for a secondary inspection interview
Old Jul 1, 2016, 6:10 am

I'm flying out of T4 tomorrow on a 7a flight. Any recent security checkpoint reports? (We will be waiting in the regular line, sadly). From past experience, I'm wondering whether it would be better to clear at T2 and take the jitney.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 8:16 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I only go through PreCheck at T4 which is no more than 10 min on average. Given that it will be the morning of a three day holiday weekend and NYC is supposed to get clobbered by thunderstorms this afternoon and evening, you might want to budget some extra time.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 11:32 am

Programs: AA Gold Elite
Asiana arrival T4-should I book Delta or keep my American ticket

My sister and I arrive on OZ 222 on September 1. If the flight arrives on time at 11:30, can I reasonably make my 3:20pm flight on American in Terminal 8? I have GE,my sister has been stonewalled in her GE appointment-not sure if she will get it by the time we leave on 8/23.
However, if our flight arrival is delayed,not sure what to do.
Assuming she does not have GE on our return, would it be better for me to book a one way domestic Delta ticket if all Delta flights now leave from T4?
I just had to endure the T4 international arrival on Emirates and then transfer to an American domestic flight in T8. Major PIA.
What is an accurate MCT from T4 these days to other JFK terminals? At least my sister does have pre check.
Thanks for any experienced suggestions and advice.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 12:00 pm

Programs: DL Gold / AA Gold
Originally Posted by sweetsleep
My sister and I arrive on OZ 222 on September 1. If the flight arrives on time at 11:30, can I reasonably make my 3:20pm flight on American in Terminal 8? I have GE,my sister has been stonewalled in her GE appointment-not sure if she will get it by the time we leave on 8/23.
However, if our flight arrival is delayed,not sure what to do.
Assuming she does not have GE on our return, would it be better for me to book a one way domestic Delta ticket if all Delta flights now leave from T4?
I just had to endure the T4 international arrival on Emirates and then transfer to an American domestic flight in T8. Major PIA.
What is an accurate MCT from T4 these days to other JFK terminals? At least my sister does have pre check.
Thanks for any experienced suggestions and advice.
What was so bad from your EK flight. With GE JFK T4 should take less than 20 mins to AirTrain unless the gate is far.
Without GE I would guess around 1 hour based on the wait time monitor when the line was all the way (30 mins for immigration and assume the same for customs).

I would say at least 3 hours should be fine for T4 T8 transit. With GE and PreCheck I say 120 mins is enough time.
Switching to DL will save you 30 mins on going to T8 but T4 TSA without PreCheck can take more than 30 mins.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 2:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Coming back from Europe on 7/5 was pretty bad at T4.....customs was so backed up with lines snaking all over.....took well over an hour just to get to baggage claim.....not a good arrival experience at T4 for int'l travelers.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 2:17 pm

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Coming back from Europe on 7/5 was pretty bad at T4.....customs was so backed up with lines snaking all over.....took well over an hour just to get to baggage claim.....not a good arrival experience at T4 for int'l travelers.
How was the line to get to immigration? I came through in the late am on 7/5 so there weren't any lines, but I noticed that the signs for the lines at the beginning of the downhill ramp now have US citizens combined with Global Entry. I was wondering if that line gets backed up the ramp on busy days; if it did, then you would have to wait to get into GE.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 3:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
How was the line to get to immigration? I came through in the late am on 7/5 so there weren't any lines, but I noticed that the signs for the lines at the beginning of the downhill ramp now have US citizens combined with Global Entry. I was wondering if that line gets backed up the ramp on busy days; if it did, then you would have to wait to get into GE.
I was there right about 5pm and it was bad. There were lines just to get on that downhill ramp and every line/option was jammed up. The lines they had created for US citizens was snaking so much the first two rows of kiosks from non GE were unuseable because they were needed for lines to go see an immigration officer. Probably the worst immigration process I have witnessed EVER.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 5:06 pm

Programs: delta dm
I was there right about 5pm and it was bad. There were lines just to get on that downhill ramp and every line/option was jammed up. The lines they had created for US citizens was snaking so much the first two rows of kiosks from non GE were unuseable because they were needed for lines to go see an immigration officer. Probably the worst immigration process I have witnessed EVER.
Try a 1.5 hr line in YUL when the european heavies land. Just ridiculous.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 9:33 pm

Programs: DL Gold / AA Gold
It's been like that for awhile. But look on the (false) bright side fewer kiosk = fewer people lined up for the officer.
But seriously, I think they had too many kiosk installed. They should have calculated the inflow of kiosk and the outflow from the immigration officer. I would estimate time used at kiosk : time used with officer to be 2:1. So 1 officer for every 2 kiosk. Impossible

Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
Never had the issue of GE lines get blocked from the ramp. Good news is GE shares the line with flight crew. At worst, just wait and follow the flight crew from you flight and let them clear the path.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 6:18 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by JohnnyRockets
Never had the issue of GE lines get blocked from the ramp. Good news is GE shares the line with flight crew. At worst, just wait and follow the flight crew from you flight and let them clear the path.
New signs are up...GE now shares the line with all US citizens. This is so dumb.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.