Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Delta Forum Lounge Thread — Everybody is Welcome! 2005-2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Delta Forum Lounge Thread — Everybody is Welcome! 2005-2018

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2016, 4:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by MissJ
I finally got off the phone with the bank. Glad I got paid for all of that

I'll call Delta later when my poor ear recovers.
Sorry!
Originally Posted by TheLifeOfA_NKCM
Okay, time to tackle this Kipper style..
LOL!
Old Jul 19, 2016, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
High powered guns, cute dogs, good beer ?
Old Jul 19, 2016, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
and a good sense of humour (I'm in Scotland, so I can spell it that way )
Old Jul 19, 2016, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
And dangerous women ...
Old Jul 19, 2016, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by jrl767
10/10 - my son-in-law is Scottish.

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
And dangerous women ...
I was not going to go there ---
Old Jul 19, 2016, 11:04 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere

Welcome back. Oh cool. Meanwhile there's me just taking one day trips and flying back the following morning.

Hmm.. Interesting thought. Maybe someone can elaborate on that. Would be a bummer if that were the case.

Okay, seems like they've been having a fun time.

Wow! One thing's for sure however, if I were in that ring one punch and I'd shatter like glass.

Ah. I've always been sucked at playing with guitars. Plan on practicing any songs w/ it in-particular when you get it back?

..And still not Delta 360 yet, come on get on that!

I'm sure you'll be fine.

On another note..

Have we ever organized a DL forum wide meeting/retreat somewhere yet? We could all plan it in advance. Perhaps just bunk out in some nice Four Seasons or something . Or just all collectively meet up in ATL sometime? (we'd just need to find a way to act normal w/ a mini army of guests marching into the SC ..me included )
Originally Posted by Zorak
Good to hear from you again, safe travels!

I've seen references to past ATL DOs but I've only been around here for about a year. I'm always up for meeting other FTers, even the ones I think are wrong about everything

Have recently been thinking it'd be nice to start up a SFO/SJC/OAK happy hour thread similar to the DC one. Open to all of course, per FT rules, but it seems like there are a lot of us who steadfastly resist being hub captive. Will probably post something shortly before I head back from this east coast trip.
Snakker De norsk?

Jeg bodde tre år in Norge.

?

sounds ominous!

TheLifeOfA_NKCM

Lots of Mileage Runners - not too many NRSA's though. I rarely do an overnight MR unless a VDB changes my original booking. I make myself an easy first choice for the GA so if an oversell happens, I'm primed to take advantage. Unfortunately, RM does a good job and the opportunities are few and far between.

The girls are both sweethearts. Brought up right, hard-working and accomplished. Both are RN's and good at it - competent and compassionate.

My wife's boxing is very cool. She does it for the workout and she's in the best physical condition of her life. I sure can't do the workout she does, nor can most people 1/4 her age (72).

Guitar - focusing on Delta Blues. Lots of old folk do well with the style.

360? Only in a spin. When I got a Porsche ride earlier this year and the driver told me how glad they were to provide them to their HV customers, I did manage to keep from laughing hysterically.

I'm afraid to ask about weight limits for chocolate vs. ammunition. I don't thnk that it would be understood as a sophomoric attempt at humor. Most likely I'd end up on the No Fly list and my just renewed GE and Nexus would go down the drain.

I'm sure that Thursday will be fine. If I weren't, I'd have changed it to AMS or a different day. We have to be back in NY on Thursday so I didn't want to take a chance on NRSA. Most likely very doable but never worth a gamble since we have J low award tix.

It's really tough to coordinate a group DO. I have an open invite for anyone visiting MSY to get together and we're not inundated. We've gotten together with various folks and always have a great time with them.

Zorak

Thanks.

MikeMpls

Jeg har ikke hørt noen snakke norsk i Brugge, hovedsakelig nederlandsk. Jeg kunne ikke råd til å bo i Norge, og jeg er vant til New York priser.

Jeg har også problemer med fremmedspråk, spesielt sør amerikansk engelsk.

I started to ask people if they speak Canadian so that they don't start talking about American politics. They all think we're crazier than the Brits.

For the rest of the Lounger's (Loungerer in Norwegian) I just told MikeMsp that I hadn't heard people speaking Norwegian in Brugge, mostly Dutch. I also said that I couldn't afford to live in Norway, and I'm used to New York prices.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 11:06 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
And dangerous women ...
My wife also shoots.

Have a great time.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 11:52 am

Hello, I am just starting to discover some of these mile programs. I have 25k miles from Delta. I would like to fly my family of 6 to Orlando next year (from CVG). How do I get enough miles for 6 tickets? All suggestions are welcome, I'm open to MS but I need to know the cards and programs that will give me biggest bang for my buck. Frontier air is also a possibility of anyone has suggestions on that. Thanks so much!!
Old Jul 19, 2016, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by SuperG1955
I started to ask people if they speak Canadian so that they don't start talking about American politics. They all think we're crazier than the Brits.

For the rest of the Lounger's (Loungerer in Norwegian) I just told MikeMsp that I hadn't heard people speaking Norwegian in Brugge, mostly Dutch. I also said that I couldn't afford to live in Norway, and I'm used to New York prices.
But you know enough Norwegian to impress a Norwegian -- they seem truly amazed that anyone else would learn their language.

Their economy is horribly inflated and taxed. Our admin here was in disbelief when I told her about the $5 cokes at Harry's (long gone) in Oslo.

It's a wonderful place to visit on a good line of credit. Or as many do, buy most of your food in grocery stores and stay overnight in relatively inexpensive hytte with cooking facilities.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Irka
Hello, I am just starting to discover some of these mile programs. I have 25k miles from Delta. I would like to fly my family of 6 to Orlando next year (from CVG). How do I get enough miles for 6 tickets? All suggestions are welcome, I'm open to MS but I need to know the cards and programs that will give me biggest bang for my buck. Frontier air is also a possibility of anyone has suggestions on that. Thanks so much!!
Rule #1 is always hold out for the 50,000 mile offers on credit cards. Never settle for less.

Have your spouse do the same -- another 50K miles.

Any other adults in the house with good credit -- another 50K possible for each.

Each additional card per account usually nets you another 5K.

After than you have to start earning them, i.e. either fly or go shopping.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 1:04 pm

Programs: DL PM & NRSA, AA Gold, ANA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EC Exec, GE, CLEAR
Originally Posted by kipper

LOL!
So, I did a okay job?

Maybe sprinkle in a little bit of boredom at the local ice rink?

Ah. How's the brexit vibe? Scotts in the streets for independence again?

And dangerous women ...
Oh dear... Brace for impact.

TheLifeOfA_NKCM

Lots of Mileage Runners - not too many NRSA's though. I rarely do an overnight MR unless a VDB changes my original booking. I make myself an easy first choice for the GA so if an oversell happens, I'm primed to take advantage. Unfortunately, RM does a good job and the opportunities are few and far between.

The girls are both sweethearts. Brought up right, hard-working and accomplished. Both are RN's and good at it - competent and compassionate.

My wife's boxing is very cool. She does it for the workout and she's in the best physical condition of her life. I sure can't do the workout she does, nor can most people 1/4 her age (72).
Wait, she's 72?! That's insane. I have to constantly hear complaints about going down the stairs when I'm around other family that age, it's hard enough to get them to fly the short 45min from HIB to MSP -even with a cart to pick them up when they get here. I have no words.

Guitar - focusing on Delta Blues. Lots of old folk do well with the style.
Alright.
360? Only in a spin. When I got a Porsche ride earlier this year and the driver told me how glad they were to provide them to their HV customers, I did manage to keep from laughing hysterically.
Ya' don't say.
I'm afraid to ask about weight limits for chocolate vs. ammunition. I don't thnk that it would be understood as a sophomoric attempt at humor. Most likely I'd end up on the No Fly list and my just renewed GE and Nexus would go down the drain.
Ask in Philly, they might think you came from Hershey
I'm sure that Thursday will be fine. If I weren't, I'd have changed it to AMS or a different day. We have to be back in NY on Thursday so I didn't want to take a chance on NRSA. Most likely very doable but never worth a gamble since we have J low award tix.
Of course.
It's really tough to coordinate a group DO. I have an open invite for anyone visiting MSY to get together and we're not inundated. We've gotten together with various folks and always have a great time with them.
True. So many people here anyways, it'd be virtually impossible. But still somewhat manageable -barely.
I don't think I can dispute them..
Ah. Out of curiosity, how's the lines for gas in Manhattan?

Last edited by TheLifeOfA_NKCM; Jul 19, 2016 at 1:34 pm Reason: Eyesight. It's fine, but failing me in this post. Move along.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 1:28 pm

Rule #1 is always hold out for the 50,000 mile offers on credit cards. Never settle for less.

Have your spouse do the same -- another 50K miles.

Any other adults in the house with good credit -- another 50K possible for each.

Each additional card per account usually nets you another 5K.

After than you have to start earning them, i.e. either fly or go shopping.
Got it!!! Thanks so much! What credit card would be the best one for us to get those miles with delta? We both have amazing credit, if that helps
Old Jul 19, 2016, 1:56 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Irka
Got it!!! Thanks so much! What credit card would be the best one for us to get those miles with delta? We both have amazing credit, if that helps
There are several flavors of Delta-branded AMEX cards and the same person can get signup bonuses for each flavor. Some of them also come in personal and business that count separately.

I think the unbranded AMEX Plat points can be transferred into DL? And also the SPG. The common denominator here is AMEX, so my suggestion would be to go to americanexpress.com to compare the various features and see what makes sense for you vis-a-vis the annual fees, although some of the benefits won't really matter to you unless you intend to fly more regularly on DL besides this MCO trip.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 2:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...

And dangerous women ...
I'm not dangerous.
My wife also shoots.
We should have a shooting 'Do!
So, I did a okay job?
Yes, you did.

I'm so exhausted today!
Old Jul 19, 2016, 2:59 pm

But you know enough Norwegian to impress a Norwegian -- they seem truly amazed that anyone else would learn their language.

Their economy is horribly inflated and taxed. Our admin here was in disbelief when I told her about the $5 cokes at Harry's (long gone) in Oslo.

It's a wonderful place to visit on a good line of credit. Or as many do, buy most of your food in grocery stores and stay overnight in relatively inexpensive hytte with cooking facilities.
I learned a little bit of Norwegian before the trip (thanks to my friends) but I've become adept at using Google Translator. I download any language I might need to my phones for offline use and make sure that the phrasebook I've developed is properly generated in the host language. That way I can use the most common phrases which I've practiced until they're OK, and let the program handle the rest, including responses from whoever I'm speaking with for me. I learned many years ago that with the exception of France, anyone you speak to in their language, even simplistically, will usually go out of their way to help you.

I can also usually understand written better than verbal (signs don't speak rapidly). Translator also handles them pretty well. The only language I gave up on last year was Czech which I'm given to understand is the most difficult language to learn.

Going back to Norway. Yes, the taxes are terrible and so everyone does what they need to in order to adapt. Despite guidebooks, tourists are blown away by the prices. That's probably why NIN (Norway in a Nutshell) and the plethora of cruise ships developed.

I think that one of the major problems is that Norway was always a poor country until the oil boom and it's like the populace has what I think of as an "economic depression mentality". I grew up with that in the 40's after WWII so I understand it somewhat.

Now, they won't take what they consider menial jobs. I noticed that there were many Norwegian managers but that the workers were imported, mostly from eastern Europe and those dealing with tourists were expected to have English fluency but no knowledge of Norwegian was required. We took a guided walking tour in Bergen and someone asked the guide what the people who lived in the fjords and rural villages did for a living - her answer was; "Nothing, the government provides for them." I don't know if this was fact or an attitude issue.

We're fortunate that we can live with the economics of touring in Norway and we had a wonderful 10 days, 8 in the fjords and 2 in Oslo. As far as food is concerned, I feasted on hotel buffet breakfasts. I love salmon, herring and sardines and all were available in abundance. I had the worst hotel experience of my life in Flam. I found that the train from Myrdal to Oslo was not as dramatic as a winter drive north of the Arctic Circle on the Dalton Highway in Alaska. We had great experiences and people interactions in Balestrand and Underdal. We did 6 museums in Oslo. While many don't seem to like it, probably because they don't know about it, the Kon-Tiki was my fave. I remember both reading the NY Times every day on their progress and listening to their morse code transmissions when I could get their signal. It was an exciting expedition. (For anyone reading who isn't familiar with it, that was in 1947.) There are a few places in the north that we didn't get to, but maybe in a few years...

Anyway, not meant to be a trip report but my final comment is great disappointment at the American food chain takeover of Oslo. Yuck!!!

Belgium (Brugge) has been great experience and we go to Brussels tomorrow and fly to NY on Thursday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.