Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta/Boeing 737-MAX Plane Transaction Thread (Consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta/Boeing 737-MAX Plane Transaction Thread (Consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2022, 6:02 pm

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
People said the same thing about autonomous cars. Look where we are now...

You're forgetting the other side of the coin. When people can't afford to fly to go on vacation or visit family because the pilots are being paid $1500/hour you will see pressure on those same representatives to do something about it. There are more passengers than pilots. Easy to see how that goes.
monitoring flights to Seattle next spring.
what used to be $400-600 is now $800-$1100.
it’s crazy.
how much is labor? Dunno.
(note - all inventory is H/K/Q and Y/B/M, so…. Flawed argument from me)
Old Jul 9, 2022, 6:04 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
People said the same thing about autonomous cars. Look where we are now...

You're forgetting the other side of the coin. When people can't afford to fly to go on vacation or visit family because the pilots are being paid $1500/hour you will see pressure on those same representatives to do something about it. There are more passengers than pilots. Easy to see how that goes.
Except spread across 200 pax, this is $7.50/hr for the flight.

I think the single pilot “breakthrough” will happen when the shortage gets so bad the industry has no choice.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by emma dog
Except spread across 200 pax, this is $7.50/hr for the flight.

I think the single pilot “breakthrough” will happen when the shortage gets so bad the industry has no choice.
$7.50 x 2 pilots times 4-5 hours of flying time in a given direction (possibly more if connecting to transcons) and then multiplied again by 2 for a round trip means $120-$150 additional per ticket which means an additional $480-$600 in airfare for a family of four. Obviously the $1500/hr figure is obscene but chances are increases for one labor group means other labor groups will also see an increase in labor rates and then start multiplying even slight increases across multiple flights and multiple passengers and small increases become big increases. Oil going up even a few cents costs the airlines millions due to the volume of oil they consume (even when they are able to hedge for some of their fuel purchases).

On the single pilot vs no pilot concept, I wouldn’t be shocked if we see the leap from two man cockpits to unmanned airliners and skip the one-pilot cockpit. I also think we’ll see such movement happen first in cargo operations and success there will then translate over to the passenger side.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 6:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by GagaPilot
While I’d always love to make more money, I am quite happy with the salary I make. Instead, I’d rather have better work rules, more time off with family, and higher standards for dispatchers and schedulers that are often under qualified sadly.
I'm genuinely curious about this one. And not just for pilots. I see plenty of road warrior consultant types on Flyertalk complain about being gone from home so much as well. I'm wondering why take a job that isn't conducive to the lifestyle you want? The truth of the matter is that people have prioritized flying over their families. It's not the company's fault. These people knew what they were signing up for when they took the job. A job where you are constantly traveling just doesn't mesh well with having a family. But instead of changing careers I guess it's easier to tell the kids it's the company that kept them away from their softball game.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 6:23 pm

Programs: DL DM
I'm genuinely curious about this one. And not just for pilots. I see plenty of road warrior consultant types on Flyertalk complain about being gone from home so much as well. I'm wondering why take a job that isn't conducive to the lifestyle you want? The truth of the matter is that people have prioritized flying over their families. It's not the company's fault. These people knew what they were signing up for when they took the job. A job where you are constantly traveling just doesn't mesh well with having a family. But instead of changing careers I guess it's easier to tell the kids it's the company that kept them away from their softball game.
In all fairness, I think most pilots (including myself) are chasing a childhood dream. The glory days of being a pilot are long gone. I had countless mainline pilots tell me growing up to pursue another career. And now at 31, with 34 years left at current legislative rules, I would tell other kids the exact same. Stay away. Fly for a hobby, and find a career that can support your hobby, and keep you closer to home. On the flip side, company management has become greedy, and the FAA’s “attempt” at scheduling safety with part 117 is a complete joke. Fatigue is real, and the bean counters don’t see it. That’s my feeling with dispatchers and schedulers as well - they are extremely under qualified to be making many of the operational decisions they are. No fault of their own - they are just not the ones in the flight deck - and have minimal training and insight into the operation.
Daze, pbjag, davedeboston and 4 others like this.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
In all fairness, I think most pilots (including myself) are chasing a childhood dream. The glory days of being a pilot are long gone. I had countless mainline pilots tell me growing up to pursue another career. And now at 31, with 34 years left at current legislative rules, I would tell other kids the exact same. Stay away. Fly for a hobby, and find a career that can support your hobby, and keep you closer to home. On the flip side, company management has become greedy, and the FAA’s “attempt” at scheduling safety with part 117 is a complete joke. Fatigue is real, and the bean counters don’t see it. That’s my feeling with dispatchers and schedulers as well - they are extremely under qualified to be making many of the operational decisions they are. No fault of their own - they are just not the ones in the flight deck - and have minimal training and insight into the operation.
Everything is relative. Funny part is I have several USAF friends who have left active duty in the last year (including 4 picked up by Delta in the last few months) who are leaving the military pilot life for the stability of the airline world. After numerous deployments, countless trips for training and exercises, assignments that pull them away from flying or send them to undesirable locations (or even remote assignments that take them away from their family for a year), having to play what they feel as games for promotion in an up-or-out system, moving every 2-4 years, extra duties that add to already long days, among other things, they see the airline lifestyle as a reprieve. I guess time will tell for each of them whether they really view the grass as greener or more stable.
halls120 likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 7:38 pm
Suspended

In all fairness, I think most pilots (including myself) are chasing a childhood dream. The glory days of being a pilot are long gone. I had countless mainline pilots tell me growing up to pursue another career. And now at 31, with 34 years left at current legislative rules, I would tell other kids the exact same. Stay away. Fly for a hobby, and find a career that can support your hobby, and keep you closer to home. On the flip side, company management has become greedy, and the FAA’s “attempt” at scheduling safety with part 117 is a complete joke. Fatigue is real, and the bean counters don’t see it.
Thanks. That's the path I took. I have a couple of friends in the 135 world and they seem to be quite content. That's likely what I would have done had a chosen to make a career out of flying.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I think we are going to see a switch to single pilot and eventually fully autonomous aircraft sooner than expected due to militant pilot groups. They are never satisfied and constantly want more and more money to do less work. Crew costs have already tripled over the last decade and they show no sign of backing down. We have already eliminated the positions of navigator, radio operator, and flight engineer due to changes in technology. So anyone who says never to eliminating one or more pilots is kidding themselves.
Technology wise it's already possible. However aviation (especially passenger aviation) is about having multiple redundancies. Nothing changes, at least until people are much more trusting of technology. Look how long it took to allow dual engine TATL/TPAC.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by flyerCO
… Look how long it took to allow dual engine TATL/TPAC.
the 767-200 entered service in summer 1982; per a Jan 1989 OAG I see a few TATL 767s: BRU/LIS/ZRH-JFK (TW), FRA/ORY/ZRH-JFK and MAN/FRA-ORD (AA), AMS-BOS/ORD (LY; unpublished stop en route from TLV)

at initial delivery the jet was capable of 90-minute ETOPS; it took years to accumulate enough operational reliability data to extend to 120 minutes (even in early 1985 California-Hawaii was still the province of three- and four-engine jets) and ultimately 180 minutes

a major consideration for the airlines was of course the longer flight tracks needed to meet the time limitations, and I’m not sure whether these 1989 flights were subject to the 120-minute condition

at program launch in 1990, Boeing declared that the 777 would be designed and certified for 180-minute ETOPS “out of the box”; a substantial portion of the analyses relied on 757/767 experience and data … the inaugural UA flight in Jun 1995 was LHR-IAD
Old Jul 10, 2022, 5:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Technology wise it's already possible. However aviation (especially passenger aviation) is about having multiple redundancies. Nothing changes, at least until people are much more trusting of technology. Look how long it took to allow dual engine TATL/TPAC.
I think this is going to be a case of when push comes to shove. And to be clear, I'd much rather keep two pilots in the flight deck. But like many athletes and actors who thought the sky is the limit as far as their salary is concerned, they're going to get burned at some point. The mainline pilots are not acting in good faith in my opinion. Look at the E175 for example. The E175 E2 holds the same amount of passenger as the first generation E175 but because it has gained a little weight due to new engines, etc, the pilots are saying it must be flown by mainline at exceptionally higher wages. That just won't work and is completely unfair to the airline as they had no control over the matter.
Newman55 likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
CNBC says MAX order tomorrow, A220 order Tuesday. If so, big two days for Delta.
N830MH likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
CNBC says MAX order tomorrow, A220 order Tuesday. If so, big two days for Delta.
Fingered crossed!! I'll believe it when I see it!
Old Jul 17, 2022, 4:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Everything is relative. Funny part is I have several USAF friends who have left active duty in the last year (including 4 picked up by Delta in the last few months) who are leaving the military pilot life for the stability of the airline world. After numerous deployments, countless trips for training and exercises, assignments that pull them away from flying or send them to undesirable locations (or even remote assignments that take them away from their family for a year), having to play what they feel as games for promotion in an up-or-out system, moving every 2-4 years, extra duties that add to already long days, among other things, they see the airline lifestyle as a reprieve. I guess time will tell for each of them whether they really view the grass as greener or more stable.
My nephew is a former USAF pilot who is now a commercial pilot; he left for all the reasons you have set out above.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 4:14 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Guess its happening:
Mhyduchak likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Delta buys 100 Boeing Max planes

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/07/18/delt...-a-decade.html

Delta Air Lines is buying 100 Boeing 737 Max 10 planes, its first major order for new aircraft from the U.S. manufacturer in more than a decade.

The deal has options for 30 more of the planes. Deliveries are slated to begin in 2025.
It's now official! I personally would have preferred DL to be all Airbus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.